PDA

View Full Version : kirkwood area fishing.

troutassasin
07-24-2005, 09:14 PM
my dad and i went up to woods lake on the 20th and caught a couple little brooks and planters out of woods lake. And had no luck at red lake or kirkwood (but kirkwood had 50 girl scouts in canoes). BUT the main reason i am writing this is because when we were up on the spill way at caples on the left side I seen (what i thought were trout) about 50 fish swimming around and after about a half hour I caught 1 and brought it up and it was some sort of carp/sucker fish. I was wondering how they got in there and what exactly are they. THANKS

RBC
07-25-2005, 08:31 AM
Troutassasin,
I was on the spillway on the 15th and watched two guys drop crawdad traps around the same location. No crawdad’s caught but several of the sucker fish you described. I just know them as suckers... Maybe Doc can help on this one. BTW… Did you happen to see two monster trout swimming around off the spillway? I saw the two of them several times. When they came swimming by the minnows would get tightly grouped up and go crazy. Unfortunately, they wouldn’t chase anything I threw at them.

AllFishNoWork
07-25-2005, 09:20 AM
I once caught a fish similiar to what you are describing at Stumpy. It was about 8 inches long. I showed it to Uncle Larry at old Fishin Depot in Roseville and he said it was probably a fish that got loose while being dragged around by a fisherman as illegal brown trout bait.

2QUARTSLOW
07-25-2005, 09:25 AM
Im not positive but I think they may be Chubs. A small type baitfish I used to catch in silver lake. However never seen one 8" though.

Still it may be a question for doc to answer.

2Q

troutassasin
07-25-2005, 09:41 AM
i did not see any monster trout swiming in there. the fish i caught there was around 14 to 16 inches and there were alot bigger ones in there.

drstressor
07-25-2005, 10:24 AM
Still it may be a question for doc to answer

I'd need to see a picture of the fish. But I think that there are tui chubs in Caples. Mark Wiza would know for sure. I'll PM him and see if he will respond with a post.

RBC
07-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Doc,
I did some searching on the internet and the fish I saw in the crawdad traps looked like the picture of a Bridgelip Sucker (Catastomus columbianus) I found. Not sure how to post pics on the web site... is this possible?

drstressor
07-25-2005, 11:22 AM
I don't think that bridge lip suckers are found in California. They are more of a Columbia River and further north species. However, there are several common suckerfish in California.

Here is what a tui chub looks like:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r4/htnf/resources/fish/images/tui_chub_2_sm.jpg

troutassasin
07-25-2005, 01:54 PM
that is not the fish. The fish i caught has a sucker like a stergon.

drstressor
07-25-2005, 02:24 PM
Then it must have been a sucker. ;D

badbobfishing33
07-25-2005, 03:31 PM
stergon in caples that would be funny....could it be a squaw fish??

they look like trout I have seen the same thing at cherry lake mouth like a stergon...from above almost like a brown?? they suck alge off the rocks it looks like??

troutassasin
07-25-2005, 03:50 PM
they do look like brown trout from above. so maybe they are sqwafish.

troutassasin
07-25-2005, 03:51 PM
they are goldish brown

drstressor
07-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Squawfish don't have sucker mouths. If they had sucker mouths, they could only be suckers.