PDA

View Full Version : What does "pulls" mean?

Wishnbfishn
07-16-2005, 10:18 AM
Can someone explain the term "pulls" as it refers to trolling? I am a newbie to trolling for trout.

Thanks!

Wishn

Steve_M
07-16-2005, 10:34 AM
Pull = 1 arm length pull from reel.

FreshwaterFrank
07-16-2005, 10:44 AM
When you let out your line, you count the # of manual "pulls" you make, rather than just free-spooling & maybe tangling up your gear as it goes out uncontrolled. With my trout rigs, 1 pull is about 1 foot. For kokes I'll let out 40-50 pulls, then attach to DR release. Somewhat inexact, but you'll get the same relative distance every time, instead of just guessing. It's old school fishing stuff from before line-counters etc.

FISHSTALKER
07-16-2005, 10:51 AM
One pull of line usually equals 3'. In the old days of deep sea fishing (before depth finders, downriggers and line counting reels,etc.) It was the way to know your depth where you caught fish. Knowing the footage depth you could get back down to where you were catching the fish at.
This method is also used for knowing the lures trolled distance behind the boat.
A faster method for trolling is releasing the reel spool with your thumb when your rod tip is at the back of the boat and swinging the rod even with you at the side of the boat. The line release would then add up to approximately 6'. This method cuts the amount of total release time in half or faster with less effort.

SierraSkier
07-16-2005, 02:14 PM
You can buy a line counter that fits on your rod for about $13 and they work great. *Scary because I drive a car, but I never can keep track of the pulls I have made.

johnbfishin
07-16-2005, 02:17 PM
When I use my spinning reel for trolling I flip the lever on the reel so it will go backwards and slowly let out line while underway. I figure 1.5 feet per turn of the handle but this depends on the size of the reel and the ratio.

Rusty_Hooks
07-16-2005, 02:37 PM
count the pulls...find the fish...mark the line with a flourescent tab (dot folded in half over the line)...

and catcha da fish.....pay (free spool) the line out till you see the little flash come up and your there.

I use 1/4 inch dots in hot pink

ratss427
07-16-2005, 02:42 PM
with the rod in hand grab the line at the reel with either a loosened drag or an open bail.pull the line out a full arms legnth.that is what i consider a "pull"it will vary a little from person to person.but it is a method of getting your line the same distance out over and over again.very important once you find the depth they are biting at.a line counter will also do the same thing. ;)

fish4fun
07-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Here's another idea for measuring the amount of line you let out. It works if you're using a casting reel. It's faster than using pulls. First measure how much line comes off your reel when the level wind guide moves from one side of the reel to the other side and back again. Then as you let the line free spool out behind the boat, you can count the number of time the guide travel from one side, over to the other, and back again. This will let you know approx how much line you let out behind the boat.. Larry

Farrier_Frank
07-16-2005, 06:39 PM
All the methods of measuring line-out mentioned above work fine and I've used each of them with enough success that I know they work. The problem I have is my fishing partner and I usually have a constant dialog of non essential banter going on and I lose track. So to solve the consistency problem I use the $9. Shakespeare line counter on my level-winds that don't have built in line counters. And when I'm using a spinning reel for trolling it’s always a good guess as to how far back the lure really is. ;)

Wishnbfishn
07-16-2005, 09:16 PM
You guys really came through with the info. That's why I love this board. Now if I can just find the depth the fish are at, I'll be set.

Thank you so much to all. May the fishing gods smile upon you.

I might as well ask one more... what works best, trolling a rapala with no flashers, or a crawler with flashers?

Wishn

johnbfishin
07-16-2005, 09:35 PM
;D ;D Depends if your a flasherman or not.
It mostly depends on what you are fishing for. Flashers and a crawler will get ya the kokes, planter bows and the occasional nice brown. Rapalas have the big fish rep.

HOOF
07-16-2005, 11:52 PM
Technology is a great thing-buy a line counter...Flashers/ crawlers do produce #'s and rapalas large fish, but I have caught 5#'s on a dodger and homemaid wedding rings-I think it is all about finding the fish and if the are on they are on(kinda like goats-will eat anything)

AllFishNoWork
07-17-2005, 05:43 AM
I'm still relatively new to the trolling game, I watch the bar on level wind, 1 back and forth is 10 feet. If I lose or forget the count; when I think I have enough out, I let out alot more. A worm 8 inches behind a watermelon dodger has been the most consistent set-up for me.

johnbfishin
07-17-2005, 08:01 AM
I've thrown my buddy Dan out of the boat twice for talking to me while I'm counting out line and I lose track, then he'll ask how far out I am...funny guy, how about a bath? ;) ;D

wetdog
07-17-2005, 09:10 AM
It's what you don't want to do to my finger,in a boat after hard boiled eggs & beer! :o :o :o

gfishes
07-17-2005, 03:53 PM
I troll for trout with downriggers. My reels are levelwinds. When I put on new line, I run out l00 feet of line and then tie a piece of bobber stop string on the line.I pull it tight and it goes through the eyes easily and onto the reel easily also...when I put it out each time, I know when the knot appears, I am out l00 ft...no pulls, guessing, etc...works well for me. On one of my reels I have knots at l00,125,andl50ft...

Steve_M
07-17-2005, 04:21 PM
It's what you don't want to do to my finger,in a boat after hard boiled eggs & beer! :o :o :o * * * * * * *:-X *:-X Nota chance *:-X :-X *

CHICKFISHING58
07-17-2005, 07:22 PM
When I fished with Rug Man I used his poles they had a very small knot every 50ft it worked great at Pyramid I would put out 50 to 100ft I wouldn’t put the clip on tight enough so he told me to put the clip in front of the knot and by god it worked never lost one and I actually caught some to.
I use a counter reel for my lead core line when I went to HH I put 15lb test on da it was to much for the pole so when I went to Stampede on Friday a fish hit my line I go to reel in and it went to one side only Fishing Buddy told me it was to heavy of a line I guess I should of listen to him still don’t quite understand that part
Good Luck ;)

huntman58
07-17-2005, 10:27 PM
Shakespeare line counter found one at wally world for under tree dollars in fresno *using it I now have been able to get fish a lot as set it out at 40 feet troll there and when i get my first fish retrun to the same line out now . worked great at Wishon this last week
( How id I make it before a couter gettign fish that is smart guys LOL ;)

skipper
07-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Another way if you don't have a line counter is to measure out 100' or whatever length you want fish at and mark the line at the tip of the pole with a permanent ink marker pen. Mark about 1'-2' of line so it can be easily seen. I also mark different lengths with different colors. Works great for me. ---fish hawk

Don
07-18-2005, 09:29 AM
count the pulls...find the fish...mark the line with a flourescent tab *(dot folded in half over the line)...

and catcha da fish.....pay (free spool) the line out till you see the little flash come up and your there.

I use 1/4 inch dots in hot pink

Now this is a good idea.I usually count the line guide
every time and usually lose count.I have tryed a felt marker. (no good)If you are new to trolling you will find this will help LOTS.What ever method you use when you find the distence you are catching fish at mark it and it will save you a lot of time
Thanks I will use this Don

georgiesweep
07-18-2005, 02:58 PM
Hmmmm and all this time I thought it meant how many sips you get out of a beer can LOL!

Budman
07-18-2005, 03:27 PM
Before I invested in the Shakespear counters, I used a permanent marker to place a mark on the rod two feet from the reel: *One pull to the mark, two feet.

When top-lining, I marked the line--50' red, 100' black, 150' red, etc.

And georgiesweep, one sip of beer counts as one pull; one sip of BlackVelvet equals two pulls.

SwimswithFishes
07-25-2005, 12:36 PM
1 pull = 1 foot and nothing else. Ask any PB Captain.