PDA

View Full Version : Deer Creek?

TroutBum01
07-24-2005, 02:48 PM
Anyone ever fish Deer creek near Almanor? I keep hearing about all this great fishing there and was thinking about making a trip up there next weekend.

The_Talis
07-24-2005, 03:22 PM
I've snorkeled nearly all of Deer Creek since I work for the US Forest Service, and I can say it has quite a few trout in it. The area above Deer Creek Falls is stocked with rainbows, and also has some nice native fish. Ironically, the stretch of stream right next to Elam Campground tends to hold the largest fish, even though that area is hit the hardest by anglers. Use anything you'd normally use for stream trout and you'll get em. I'd say 95% of the trout here are rainbows, but occasionally we see a brown or brookie.

Downstream of Deer Creek Falls is catch and release only, artificial lures. The biggest trout I've seen down there were about 15 inches long, although most of them average 8-10 inches. And if you see some truly huge fish swimming around in the pools down there, they're not trout--they're native spring-run chinook salmon. That's why the regulations are so strict in that area.

Hope this info helps!

kubfish
07-24-2005, 10:09 PM
I haven't fished DC for years. Last time I remember fishing there was early in the season. Never fished it summer/late summer.

It is nice early from what I remember but cant comment on this time of year.

TroutBum01
07-25-2005, 10:19 AM
Talis,
Thanks for the info, sounds like you got a pretty sweet job up there. I am actually studing right now to become a fisheries biologist and hope that I can get a gig that sweet. Anyway thanks agian for the info.
Troutbum01

tdekens
07-25-2005, 11:13 AM
I have fished deer creek for the last 35 years. Broke my finger on a rock when I slipped there when I was twelve. Broke the same finger on the other hand there last year doing the same thing. History does repeat itself. Anyways its a good place to beat the heat. Potatoe Patch is a CNR only are below the falls as mentioned before. Elam does hold some nice fish and they occasionally release the brood stock there as well but not often. It is stocked on Tuesdays I believe. The locals from Chester will go fishing there as well. Camping is first come only. Not much room for long trailers. Trout are planters in the normal creek size. There are some fish still left come the weekend but 70 percent are caught from tues til fri. Check the DFG trout plants. Mepps always worked the best for me. Bait using worms or eggs and fishing the lower end of the holes works good too when they arent spooked. If you camp there and do some hiking you can sometimes find some really good ones.
2Shakes