PDA

View Full Version : Bridgeport Res.

NRJohn
07-20-2005, 07:27 PM
If you can get up there now is time. Fishing is hot. So was the weather but that didn't stop the fish. Fished with the fleet in about 7-8ft. using p.b. and inflated crawlers but p.b. out fished crawlers by such a large margin we ended up not using them the second day. Most fish were pretty large to what we are used to catching. Didn't weigh any but I'd say they ave. 1.5lbs and up. Not many dinks. Could have filled limits if we wanted but did some C&R and still took home plenty.

JoeTech
07-21-2005, 08:12 AM
Thats one lake I never been to...I think now is the time to hit that lake. Thanks

troutfan
07-21-2005, 05:10 PM
I was there a couple of weeks ago and the fishing was great. I'm goin back Saturday and I expect to catch some footballs!!! 8) ;D

Troutcoach
07-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Went up there two weeks ago. The fishing was good, but I spent more time untangling weeds from my prop. If you have not been before....the lake is only about 2 to 5 feet deep and the weeds come all the way up to the surface.

troutfan
07-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Went up there two weeks ago. *The fishing was good, but I spent more time untangling weeds from my prop. *If you have not been before....the lake is only about 2 to 5 feet deep and the weeds come all the way up to the surface.
Actually the lake is up to thirty feet deep. *If you go in the shallows you will encounter weeds. *They have been catching the fish in 5-7'(Buckeye Bay) of water but if you fish Rainbow Point it is about 15-20' deep! ???

P.S. The lake is full to the brim due to the record snows of last winter!

NRJohn
07-21-2005, 08:52 PM
Don't think I saw a boat at Rainbow Pt. in the two days we fished. Everyone was at Buckeye Bay. Weeds were not a problem with my boat but they are thick. As for weeds on the line you just have to check your bait once in while. Forget lures though as every cast came back covered. I did try a fly and bubble which did get bit. Matter of fact that was on my first cast. Nothing after that though. Guide I talked to said they just let the fly sit and use a strike indicator. Just like bait fishing imo. One other thing bring an ice chest to put your fish in. Don't let them hang on a stringer. Water is much to warm for that.

troutfan
07-22-2005, 04:33 AM
Good tip on the ice chest NR. *It amazes me how many people will parboil their fish on the side of the boat in the hot sun for hours and then they say that the fish were mushy when they cooked them...well duh! *Thanks for the report.

troutfan
07-23-2005, 02:42 AM
Don't think I saw a boat at Rainbow Pt. in the two days we fished. *Everyone was at Buckeye Bay. *Weeds were not a problem with my boat but they are thick. *As for weeds on the line you just have to check your bait once in while. *Forget lures though as every cast came back covered. *I did try a fly and bubble which did get bit. *Matter of fact that was on my first cast. *Nothing after that though. *Guide I talked to said they just let the fly sit and use a strike indicator. *Just like bait fishing imo. *One other thing bring an ice chest to put your fish in. *Don't let them hang on a stringer. *Water is much to warm for that. *

I usually fish the "Bridge" eight or nine times a year and you don't see many fisherman at Rainbow this time of year.
The plan usually is troll opening day until June, then fish Rainbow a couple of times and as the season progresses you follow the fish south to Buckeye. This year was a little different and Buckeye was good from the get go.

troutfan
07-23-2005, 02:07 PM
We just got back from Bridgeport and limited out on nice 1.5-3lbrs. Fishing remains hot and yes PB seems to outfish worms 6-1. ;D

NRJohn
07-23-2005, 06:08 PM
Good to see they're still biting. Do you know how it is in Aug? Would like to go up again and this time fish Twin Lakes in the a.m. and catch the eve. bite at Bridgeport in the p.m.

troutfan
07-24-2005, 01:35 AM
Two years ago I caught my biggest(7.75) ever at Bridgeport in August. *It really helps to have a depth locator because if you find the channel at Buckeye you can catch some monster trout. *When I caught that big one we were sitting in two feet of water and flipping worms into the channel which was five feet deep. *So find the channels and you'll find the big ones stacked up. 8)

troutfan
07-25-2005, 04:43 AM
We went to Bridgeport again on Sunday and had a better day than Saturday. We caught about twenty fish releasing all but the limit. They are keying on Rainbow PB. We were fishing just east of Buckeye Bay in five feet of water casting into the edge of the weeds. Fishing overall remains excellent! ;D

NRJohn
07-25-2005, 06:53 AM
If it wasn't such a long haul I'd be up there again asap. I think it's around a 6.5 hour drive. Will try and get up there one more time though.