PDA

View Full Version : Lake of the Woods,Or. * Results

firetrout
07-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Well after the return home from July 3rd. till July 18th it took the last 3 days to unwind and clean up the camping gear. :P We also went to Lake Almanor,Ca. on July 12th-18th.

We stayed with inlaws at Ashland, Or. for the July 4th festivities and headed out on the 6th to Lake of the Woods about 40 miles northeast of Medford. *Camped at Aspen campground next to the Lake of the woods Resort. *The best camping and plenty of space per camp site. *Lots of wood for camp fires and flush toilets maintained by the Campground Host. *Weather was pretty nice but had 2 evenings with light showers, nothing to keep us coupe in the tents during the daytime. :)

Fishing with nightcrawlers and dodger was best for us, also had some luck with perch rapala. Caught a few rainbows and Kokanees each day biggest was in the 3lb range. Kokes were 10-12 inches, ate one released all others. *Only fished a few hours each morning and about 2 each evening. *The storm front may have played a factor in the counts, did better last year. The locals that knew the lake had better results, some caught their limits of Kokanee, 25, That's right. 5 on trout

Had a great time camping with the family. *Lake of the Woods Resort has lots of activities on Fri-Sun. for entertainment. *One was Old movie night done outdoors and the other was an evening with a Wolf Sanctuary from Williams, Or. to talk about the Wolves in Northern U.S.

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/P10100291.JPG

FireMinnow with Rainbow, Brown,Kokanee

http://momentoffame.com/photopost/data/514/medium/P10100321.JPG
That's what I call a real Firetrout Dad!!!

JoeTech
07-22-2005, 08:45 AM
Nice to hear you had a good time...My girlfriends parents live about 1hr east of portland. I've never been up there but I think I may have to take a trip.

ITUKAWAL
07-22-2005, 09:18 AM
Great report FireTrout. Would it be safe to assume that FireMinnow is hooked ;D ;D The smile says it all ;D

Ikan_Mas
07-22-2005, 09:59 AM
Great fish! :D Were there tons of minnows in the lake? When I was growing up in Medford, the lake was a bit overrun by a fish referred to as the Klamath Roach. Always seemed to catch more of them than trout. As I understood it from some people that scuba dived in the lake, the trout just sat on the bottom and ate roach all day. >:(

firetrout
07-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Ikan Mas,
That problem is gone. But they don't like the perch around the docks. They want you to kill all that you catch. They are fun for the kids to catch.

freon
07-22-2005, 07:39 PM
FT, glad you and the family did good fishing and camping all that all of you made it home safe. Your son sure does look happy, I believe that he may well be hooked ;D
Freon