PDA

View Full Version : UVR 7/18

Jason
07-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Got to Sunset late and started trolling around the ramp area and came up with no fish. We go over by the dam and try trolling and using the downrigger and still came up short. We got on the water at 7 and left at 10. My buddy had overslept which put us up there later than planned. I fished that lake hard and nothing came up. I did have some fish marked by the dam but had no takers. I did talk to 2 anglers at the launch ramp as we left an they had 2 nice kokanee. I think I'm gonna need some more practice time at UVR.

OTDRSMN
07-18-2005, 03:18 PM
What lures were you using and how deep were you fishing? ??? I fished UVR on Sunday same time and we caught 7 kokes and 5 rainbows with lots of other hits that we missed.

Jason
07-18-2005, 04:34 PM
I started out toplining with a green dodger and a crawler, than I went to the watermelon dodger. I was kind of irritated about the morning went and didn't put much effort out. The more I take buddies fishing, the more I prefer fishing by myself. Less stressfull.

FishMischief
07-18-2005, 04:50 PM
Thats ok... I been fishing uvr for 2 years and struck out (well one planter) on Monday while others did ok. Just happens that way some times.

Farrier_Frank
07-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Practice time: Those are the key words Jason -- Every lake, every body of water with fish in it has a mind of it's own. In the past, before I joined the boards, when I wanted to try fishing a new lake or stream or river, I knew I had my work cut out. And I knew it was going to take time and patience to learn how to fish the new waters. Most of the time it took years to figure out how to fish the new water year round. And then, as soon as you think you have it figured out, something changes. But changes are ok once you know the water because you learn how to adjust, too.

The other point in your report I'll comment about is the time you allowed yourself: three hours? You got on the water at 7 so you missed the dawn bite. Sometimes it's not much of a bite but dawn is the best time to stop a skunk. Even if the ramp area isn't our target zone for the day we have lines down as soon as we pull away from the dock. More often than not we'll have two fish landed before we get to the west shore. And sometimes those will be the only fish in the boat until we find a zone that's working; and sometimes that can take all day.

UVR is a beautiful lake to fish year round. It's got kokes and bows and browns and the elusive Big Mack. It just takes a little practice and a lot of patience and you'll be knocking them dead. ;)

krzyfshrmn
07-18-2005, 05:44 PM
I think the Browns are long gone Frank. :(

Plenty of Smallmouth Bass to though.

Mickey_Thomas
07-18-2005, 05:47 PM
Good all around advice FF, I think Fish Crazed is the one who needs help ;D ;D ;D I think the next time he wants to go we'll have to go too and I'll put him on my boat so he can get the skunk off ;) I should have done that at Hell Hole but I figured he wouldn't get skunked there ??? Just a little jab for Fish Crazed to let him know we like him 8)

Farrier_Frank
07-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Yeah, I debated the brown thing Krzy before I posted it but I think Live4trout caught a nice one in UVR last fall. But your right you never hear much about browns out of UVR.

The bass are there though. I was bored, standing on the dam-launch one day late last fall and threw some kastmasters out and hooked a real scrappy bass.

Jason
07-18-2005, 07:08 PM
Thanks for the info Farrier Frank. Thats what kind of made me mad was missing that early morning bite. I have always fished Ice House and Loon and knew beings I had never fished UVR I should get up there early. I think next time I will go up by myself so I can spend some time alone to do some prctice fishing.

FishMischief
07-18-2005, 07:14 PM
I was doing ok for the kokes prior to the 4th weekend. I am trying to think what I changed and all I can think of is thet I havent been using watermellon dodger.

I really just think that when Pink Boat said they would start in the Sunrise area I chose to let them have the hot spot and went to the dam.

I need some hoochies!!!!

Farrier_Frank
07-18-2005, 07:48 PM
LOL Fishcrazed. That area is huge ;) -- I don't think it's the color of the dodger that counts as much as the action of the dodger. The color, type of lure, and depth is more important than the dodger in my book. Most important is keeping the leader short behind the dodger. And keeping the lead off the downrigger short: 40' max for kokes. And actually that can be way to long if you hit a pod of kokes. If I'm searching for them I'll keep the lure out 40' or more, but if I spot a group I'll shorten that up quite a bit so I can circle around and stay in the field. Kokes are not ball shy and like to school. If you spot a beehive formation of kokes you can run three feet back of the downrigger ball and limit out in 45 minutes. Find a zone and work S patterns and zigzags until you find them.

fishrman4life
07-19-2005, 12:19 AM
MAN I NEED A BETTER BOAT! ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)

FishMischief
07-19-2005, 10:28 AM
Frank stop taking away my excuses... ;D I gave you the better spot cause I am the better fisherman... :o AND I didn't get skunked I caught a bow!!!! >:(

I did however look at my leader for the rod with the dodger and it was a bit longer than usual. Tying leaders at 4am in the dark may not be a good idea!!! ;D

Farrier_Frank
07-19-2005, 11:17 AM
I know you caught the bow Fishcrazed. ;) I also know you were stacking Z's at the launch when we pulled up behind you at 5. :D Which reminds me: one of us has a VHF problem. You kept breaking up when I was trying to talk to you. I hope the problem is yours since I just bought the one I have from JohnB. :-/

FishMischief
07-19-2005, 12:53 PM
When I was breaking up at the end of the day I was at the sunset dock where were you? Was I breaking up in the morning?

I did crunch my antennae but I taped it up and people seemed like they could hear me fine at hell hole...

Split_shot_1
07-19-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm with you. Fish UVR Monday a.m., used everything in my boat for bait/lures, fished dn/rig,top line, I think I got one bite. Saw one guy cleaning one fish (all he caught) talk to two others and they had nothing. Had better luck at Ice Hse.

FishMischief
07-19-2005, 02:25 PM
Somedays the fishin mojo is with ya and some days its not. Its clear to me that Frank had the mojo! ::)

GN.
07-19-2005, 10:30 PM
I was fishing there on Sunday and had a lot of success with the bows on both Apex lures and nightcrawlers at anything from 15 to 45 ft. We put two limits on the boat by 11am.Two were Kokanee. But it doesn't always work out that way. I've also gone ther and only caught one fish. Usually when the bow fishing is slow I'll start working the shores for bass. They're great fighters in that lake. Work the submerged stumps with spinners. That's always worked for me.

fishguts
07-22-2005, 04:20 PM
Was up there and fished Monday evening to thursday morning, not a great bite but some fish, my full report will be coming in a new thread
Joe P.