PDA

View Full Version : Eagle lake info?

rfresema
07-19-2005, 06:29 AM
I'm planning to fish Eagle Lake for the first time at the end of August. What's the best way to get there from the central valley if you're towing a boat?
Go up highway 5 and go east from somewhere? or take highway 80 east towards Reno and then go north from there (I think it's 395?).
I'll be staying at Spaulding. Where are the fish expected to be the last weekend of August? Is there a launch ramp close to there?
Any advice from the board is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Big Minnow.

troutfan
07-19-2005, 07:14 AM
The fish will be deep on the South end of the lake. Downrigging lures works well this time of year. Do a search on Eagle lake and you will find plenty of information. ;)

SuperDave
07-19-2005, 08:30 AM
Route - I5 to Red Bluff, Hwy 36 out of Red Bluff, Hwy 89 past Almanor toward Susanville. 4 miles before Susanville is the Eagle turnoff. I have found this to be the best road with the least traffic. Hwy 80 to 395 is doable, but not my favorite.

appleinorange
07-19-2005, 09:10 AM
Big Minnow, I will be there the 7-29 thru 8-5 if you were going the beginning of the month we could hook up. I will let you know how I do. I 5 to Red Bluff and Hwy.36 is you'r best route.

FISHSTALKER
07-19-2005, 09:15 AM
I live close to hwy 80 so I go to Reno and take 395 to Susanville. Go straight through town and the road will turn into A1. After a couple of miles up the grade you will see the sign for the Eagle Lake turn off. Very easy drive. I usually stop for breakfast or lunch at Boom Town. ;D Spaulding has a large new Marina with launch and all facilities. You can rent a slip for your boat from the Spaulding camp store. $10. a day.

http://eaglelakefishing.info/

BigB
07-19-2005, 07:49 PM
Big Minnow,

If you take the Red Bluff route, get off I-5 at the Highway 36/Highway 99 off ramp, which is the main get off for Red Bluff. Make a right on to Antelope Blvd and go towards Chico. There will be a sign for Hghway 36 to Susanville that goes to your left. This is what you want to take. Antelope Blvd is a wide 4 lane and if it goes down to two lane, then you missed the Hwy 36 turn off.

Good Luck and enjoy Eagle Lake,

Brian

gfishes
07-20-2005, 08:51 AM
Minnow...Fishstalker gave you a great web site...read it, as it is loaded with info from a former Eagle Lake fishing guide...if you gave a VHF radio aboard, turn it to Channel 69...if you have questions, ask, the guides will be most happy to help you...speaking of guides, they have a session at 5 pm on Fridays at Mariners Resort, and again at 5 pm on Saturdays at Lakeview Resort...they are free with info and are great guys to ask questions of...If you come up 80, your best bet would be to take a right on Hwy 139 in the middle of Susanville, past Lassen College to Eagle Lake road to Spaulding...I, however, would do the Red Bluff route from the Central Valley. I live in Susanville, and if I can help you in any way, give me a call at 530 257 9645...gfishes

rfresema
07-20-2005, 11:49 AM
Thanks for all of the help folks! I'll take the Red Bluff route as suggested and the website referenced is loaded with great fishing info. I'll tune in to CH69 when I get there.
Cheers,
Big Minnow out.

Big_Country
07-21-2005, 04:18 PM
appleinorange - please be sure and post an Eagle report! I'll be up there Aug 7-12. I'll be camping at Eagle Campground, if any sniffers are in the area, stop by and say hi. Stars on the Grady.

I haven't fished Eagle in the summer in many years... Usually I make an Oct/Nov four day trip...but this year, I saved that for Pyramid.

BC