PDA

View Full Version : Dinkey 7/16

fresnofshfan
07-19-2005, 01:32 PM
On the water at 6am. Started tossing crawlers with 3 small splitshot about 18'' above hook. I got a bit on about every cast. I nailed one 12'' that swallowed the hook, dinner. I then hook up with about 8 fish between 7-10''. So I decide to go a bit deeper and add another few splitshot. Bam !another keeper for dinner. I kept trying for bigger fish by putting a whole crawler on but was getting hammered by small fish. I had a vicious hit that had to be a nice fish but alas was 8''. I packed it up and called it a day at about 8am. All in all I reeled in about 15 fish including the two keepers.

I went to Huntington to watch the regatta and fish with my little sister. Too many boats and people where we were so I taught her how to cast!
She is now in phase 2. Not tangling your line before you cast! ;D

Had a blast in the mountians away from the Fresno heat!

appleinorange
07-19-2005, 08:22 PM
Anywhere to get out of this heat :P

C-hawk
07-19-2005, 09:11 PM
FFF,
How was the water flow? Is the water low enough to allow a good wader to cross the creek at various places? Like to fish Dinky right after the water drops to wading level. Can't seem to rember to call the Kings River water folks and check on the water.

I learned to flyfish on Dinky 45 years ago. Still love to fish it even though it is fished so much heavier now -a-days. Used to get lots of nice browns and wild rainbows.

JoeTech
07-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Anything better than being in this damn heat. I really need to get a weekend of so I can hit the lake.

ITUKAWAL
07-20-2005, 09:20 AM
I hear ya guys down there in the lower valley. I live just East of Sac. town in the lower foothills and this heat has been miserable up here. Several of the gang have been hitting the mountain lakes up at day break Skiers and jet skiers add assistance. Anyway, be patient, better days are around the bend.
Stay... 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

fresnofshfan
07-20-2005, 09:47 AM
The browns are in there but small. UThe creek is running at normal levels. I would wait or fish the flats that arent so deep if you want to wade. I caught the fish about 4 pools down from the "slicks". I would fish from there down to the bridge then from the bridge downstream. If it takes a hike or bushwackin to get to the pool it will hold more fish. There were 3 guys fishing upstream of me and they caught a few but not like the action I had. Most were small but on an UL with little weight they felt like 10lbers!
And yes its nice to beat the heat!

huntman58
07-20-2005, 04:56 PM
It looked like the creek was low enof to wade fish when we passed over it this last week end. Thinking about going back up to wishon in august around the weekend of the 5th, 6th and 7th. If any one is up there look for that little want to be green pontoon boat LOL

JoeTech
07-21-2005, 08:15 AM
Are there some nice size fish in the creek...Everytime I go I only catch small rainbows(planters) but I only normally fish near the bridge. Are there better pools up stream or down stream.