PDA

View Full Version : Blue Lakes

mike_d
07-06-2005, 05:59 AM
I'm heading up to Blue Lakes this weekend. I'll be in my float tube probably drifting crawlers. Any advice on the two lakes? I've never fished either upper or lower, is one better than the other.
Thanks,
Mike

OTDRSMN
07-06-2005, 02:47 PM
Either lake can be very good fishing. I would start with Upper Blue and work the northeast corner from where there is a little creek coming into the lake and work south towards the dam about 30 to 50 feet from shore. About a quarter of the way down there are several deep holes that I usually work pretty hard where I knock them dead! Also on the southwest corner there are some rocks sticking out of the water where some nice fish hang out.

Lower blue is great too and in a float tube I would work the entire north end of the lake. Lots of rocks and cover for fish and when the lake is full it's usually great!

If you get a chance, drive down past Lower Blue on the dirt road and check out either Twin Lake or Meadow Lake. Twin has some big trout that are hard to catch near the dam but it's easy access. Meadow Lake is great because you'll usually be the only one on the lake. You'll dead end into the lake and have to walk down to the lake to launch which is an easy hike. If it's not to windy you can work alot of the lake's eastern shore. There are some nice brookies in there and the scenery is beautiful!

If your camping anywhere in the Blue Lakes are make sure that you put all your food away in your vehicle and don't leave any windows open because there are lots of bears. Every time I've gone I've seen bears. As long as you put your food away you shouldn't have any problems.

If you have any other questions I have fished those lakes and hunted in that area over the last twenty years and can tell you all kinds of good stuff about the area. For additional information go to the Fishsniffer Map section where they have a great map with some great info too.

Good Luck! :D

OTDRSMN
07-06-2005, 02:59 PM
Check out the thread for "Blue Lakes - Hwy 88" for information on a fellow Fishsniffer who was just at Blue Lakes. Some good info on where he found fish. Snow is still around the lake which isn't too unusual for a heavy winter.

mike_d
07-06-2005, 07:36 PM
Thanks OTDRSMN. I'll be drifting a nightcrawler with a small spitshot on, probably 3-5 feet is that deep enough?

Durb
07-06-2005, 07:48 PM

*I have fished the area also for many years. Hunted it in years past. *As far as lower blue you will do well along the north end near the rocks, along the west shore line and have always had good luck in front of the dam.

Have not fished upper blue as much as lower.

Otdrsmn is right on the bears. *Put the food away and Cover the ice chest up in the car. If they can see it they will pop the window out. Have seen it more than once. *I had a mama and two cubs dancing in the back of my truck one year. *:o
The small creek / river between upper and lower can be deadly for some nice fish. You need to sneak up on them though. *;) *
That area is one of my favorite areas to go enjoy the great outdoors. In the last 10 years though it has become way to crowded. * If you have a 4wd there is a nice trail that will take back to hwy 4. It is long and pretty nasty in some areas.

Good luck

cutbow_master
07-07-2005, 11:32 AM
If you are fishing from a boat. I've caught rainbows and a few cutts at the end of the rocks anchor at about 30 feet. It never seemed to matter what I was using either PB or crawler/marshmellow. Last time I was there 2 years ago I caught close to 50 a day (C&R most). All were in the 12-14 inch range. I have caught a 17 inch cutt out of the same area, but it was real skinny, it went maybe a pound.

CM

OTDRSMN
07-07-2005, 12:27 PM
It depends upon where your fishing in either lake. If you're going to fish in a rocky area I would go with the split shot setup. Another great way to fish a crawler and get it down 3 to 5 feet is to use a sep's dodger or sidekick dodger. They work great at attracting fish and giving the crawler the extra action needed to get them to strike.

If you're fishing where the shore is sandy then I would drift a night crawler with a small barrel weight that will slide down to a swivel with a 18" leader to your hook. Going with the sliding sinker technique lets you bounce the crawler off the bottom as you move. Most of the fish will be just off the bottom so I would also inflate the crawler with a worm blower to have it float off the bottom where it will be easier for the fish to pick it up.

Don't forget to put some Pro-Cure scent on your crawler. It really helps bring the trout in! I prefer Predator and Trophy Trout Sauce scents.

Good Luck! :D

badbobfishing33
07-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Boy OTDRSMN maybe you should just go catch them for him...you have listed just about everything there is to know about those lakes up there ;D

We MUST have seen you there sometime before it sounds like you go as much as we do...Blue has got WAY OVER POPULATED....to many people go now with the road fixed...it's turning into an amuzement park the nice quiet lakes they used to be are gone..... but the fishing is still good... ! C&R
:D

mike_d
07-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys for all the info. I will be hitting the water around 6am with my float tube. When you say crowded how bad is it? Its only my second time out with my tube and I rather not be fighting a bunch of boats.

OTDRSMN
07-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Badbob 33 I don't have time to catch fish for someone else as I normally catch my own limit! 8)

However, if I can help someone enjoy a beautiful area such as the Blue Lakes area I won't hesitate to give them the information necessary to have a good time! :D

Anyway, as you stated Blue Lakes isn't exactly a secret spot anymore like it used to be so I don't think sharing detailed information about where and how to catch fish there is giving everything there is to know about the area away! But like everyone else I always hold back some knowledge of my secret spots.

mike_d don't worry about the boats as they mostly will work the middle of Upper Blue and the southern part of Lower Blue. Stick to the areas mentioned and you shouldn't have any problems. I've float tubed in both lakes and have never had any problems. However, if you do feel it's too crowded just go down to Meadow lake and you'll have the lake to yourself as there is no boat access.

khiameru
07-20-2005, 04:20 PM
I read somewhere that motors are not allowed on blue lakes is this true????