PDA

View Full Version : catching trout in high sierra lakes

15lbcrappie
07-15-2005, 08:23 PM
next week i will be visiting florence and edison resivours. i have never fished trout in these lakes or in the high sierra in general, and i was wondering how i should go about it? keep in mind that i will be backpacking and do not fly fish.
thanx

FreshwaterFrank
07-16-2005, 12:59 AM
I've always had good luck with an inline clear bubble, 5-6 feet of leader, and a dry fly, using a spinning rig. Sounds stupid, but it works, & you can 1/2 fill the bubble with water & really chuck it out there. Let it sit a minute, then retrieve real slow. When the fish are rising, this will work as well as a traditional fly rig...but don't tell anyone...:-)

Ikan_Mas
07-16-2005, 09:43 AM
As noted above, fly with a torpedo bobber is good. Throw in some gold and silver Panther Martins and Kastmasters and you will be good. ;D

Oxbow
07-17-2005, 08:38 PM
It's been quite a few years since I packed in to any lakes but I can remember doing pretty well with a small "Super Duper" couldn't hurt to take some along. Have a great trip!

trout_man
07-18-2005, 09:08 AM
panter martin always worked good for me. i like the gold and black ones with red stripes.

fresnofshfan
07-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Take some CD Rapalas, in rainbow and Firetiger. Theres nice browns up there. Dont forget to fish the streams if you are going up soon. Joetech & Mtalley fish there more than me , hope thell chime in.

huntman58
07-18-2005, 11:57 AM
As all above have said plus never forget the salmon eggs. (Pazoks green label I find the best.) Also some wet flies on the clear bubble with it fully filled. Cast out let it sinks some then slow retrieve. Also works well with eggs slid bubble on the tie a swivel then your hook set up. When all other means do not work out look for worms and bugs around the lake to use and great luck to ya

OTDRSMN
07-18-2005, 04:23 PM
I would go with an assortment of what everyone has indicated above. Panther Martins work great, especially all gold. The fly and bubble works good also. Other favorite lures to try would be a Cripple lure (gold & orange) or a Thomas Buoyant lure (gold and red). However, my favorite high sierra lure is called a Jakes lure. Best color is gold with red dots. These lures can be cast a mile and work great when your fishing from shore and want to get a lure out where all the fish are jumping! :D Plus they always catch fish! You can buy them from Cabela's.

Also I would take some power bait and treble hooks to bait fish. Stays fresh when backpacking and usually catches fish! ;)

FishSierras
07-18-2005, 06:05 PM
The fly and bubble method is the best technique for the backcountry. Not that bait fishing isnít fun or that I haven't participated in some powerbait slingin, it's just that most fish in the backcountry aren't keepers. When bait is suspended in water, fish have a tendency to gulp it down as most of us know. The extraction of the hook, in most cases, is terminal to the fish and therefore dismisses the idea of catch and release. Presenting a fly or a lure that imitates another fish is far better for the amount of fish you want to catch and for the health of the fish itself. Also, if done properly, a bubble and fly rig will be lighter than split shot and weight, which won't give you a better fight from the fish.

15lbcrappie
07-18-2005, 07:38 PM
thank you all for your replies this has been very useful. if anyone else wants to add thier 2 cents i'd definitley like to hear it. again thanx
-hanno

JoeTech
07-19-2005, 08:35 AM
It sounds like they have all covered... If your going to be fishing streams I would say the fly and clear bober will do, if your planing on fishing the lakes, from the shore I would use some worms, with a splash of some garlic oil, always does the trick.

If you fish the stream that comes off of florence, anything shinny will catch fish.

piscolabis
07-19-2005, 10:41 PM
My 2 cents:
Fly fishing: Use the bubble and spinning technique mentioned above (#12 and 14 size fly hooks - Adam's Female, Humpy (gold body and red body), Sierra Bright Spot, Caddis (tan)and a couple Dave's Hoppers. Generally I find red color in flies works above timberline (Golden Trout) and non-red below timberline. Fish all of them dry. All of these will work in Seldon Pass lakes (Marie-Brook Tr. and Sally Keyes-Goldens Tr.) and Goodale Pass lakes (L. of Lone Indian and Apache).
Lures: Thom. Buoyant gold with red line or red dots, silver or gold Kastmasters or Wobble-Rites (you'll get good distance with these) and Mepps spinners.

I trolled Edison L. on 7/9 and 7/10. I C & R'd 6 Browns and one Rainbow all 14-16" using blue and white Rapala, Rainbow jointed Rebel and silver Kwikfish. All were caught along the north shore/center of lake in vicinity of Cold Creek. Many guys were going up Cold Creek with flies and getting nice 11-15" fish. A few shore fishermen were catching nice Browns on inflated worms fishing off the bottom.
Tom

John_heyd
07-20-2005, 06:35 AM
I've used all of the suggested techniques and yes they all work. One thing I've also used which hasn't been mentioned is natural bait. High sierras have an abundance of grass hoppers - if you can find them, substitute one for a fly on the bubble arrangement using about a no. 10 snelled hook. Cast and retrieve slowly as you would a dry fly. Good luck - the high Sierras has some of my favorite fishing - especially the higher elevations where you can tie into some Golden Trout. ;D