PDA

View Full Version : Lakes in Vallejo/Fairfield area?

LuckyIrishFan
03-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Hello all, I am not familiar with any lakes near the Vallejo and Fairfield area so I was wondering if anyone can give advice on any decent lakes that a couple of friends and I can go to. We like to fish anything from trout, bass, salmon, carp, etc. You could also PM me or just list a couple of lakes that would be a good place to fish and not too far of a drive. Thanks, and FISH ON:grin:!!!

fishhook 60
03-14-2010, 10:00 PM
Lake berryessa isnt to far from there.

FishnBeer
03-15-2010, 08:23 PM
+1 i duno how you didnt know about berryessa! jeez what planet are you from???
j/k berryessa is awesome, pretty good size lake. lots of fish and the water has always been super clear everytime ive gone there.

apparantly the budweiser brewery out there gets their water from there. which would explain the taste, ive taken a leak in there plenty of times :skull:

somethingfishy
04-11-2010, 10:24 PM
There are a few small lakes close by. Lake Herman off of Lake Herman Road has some small bass and probably some bluegill and crappie. No water contact there. Lake Chabot (near Six Flags) probably has better bass. This lake also has some planted trout. This lake allows small boats but you're not supposed to pass the center line of the lake. I guess they're afraid you'll try to sneak into Six Flags.

Fish_For_It
04-20-2010, 10:08 PM
Rumor has it that there are bass, bluegill and even some trout in the small lake behind Fairfield's Civic Center off of Pennsylvania Avenue. If you try it, give us a fishing report.

semut
07-14-2019, 12:55 PM
Rumor has it that there are bass, bluegill and even some trout in the small lake behind Fairfield's Civic Center off of Pennsylvania Avenue. If you try it, give us a fishing report.

I know that comment was years ago, but for what it's worth there isn't anything in there whatsoever. Every year or two they have some kids fishing derby there and plant 50 trout or so. What the kids don't catch are promptly fished out within the next 24 hours by every single homeless person in fairfield

Believe me, that pond is dead as dead can be

semut
07-14-2019, 01:06 PM
2019 update:

Lake Herman is awful. SOMETIMES you can get some obnoxious bluegill to eat your bait but that's about it.

Lake Chabot in Vallejo is alright. I've never caught anything there but I've seen people catch bass AND good sized trout this year (well, at least one good sized trout). Keep in mind, the only access is via some park in vallejo with zero street visibility. Later in the day on weekends it can get kinda rough in there, people-wise.

Lake Chabot in Castro Valley: Good if you rent a boat from them (pretty sure you can't load your own - I cant remember). Some fat bass out by the two far coves. Trout too, but I hate trolling and that's the only way I've seen them pulled out of there.

Lake Solano: Awful. Awful awful awful. You used to be able to fish Putah creek (which feeds into Solano), but a few years back they made it 0-limit and artificial/barbless. Which is fine for bass but that's laregly a trout water. At Lake Solano the bridge on the road is the divider between what is considered putah creek and lake solano, so pretty much all the fish just swim on the other side where the water isn't stagnant and funky - right into the no-fishing zone. I've never had so much as a bite in Lake Solano (and I've grown up fishing freshwater).

Berryessa is good is you have a boat. The water is pretty cold - I've caught almost exclusively trout there, though I've probably only fished for trout there. There's tons of little coves and fingers that are good if you're in a boat. There's a few shore spots but they're so few that they're usually full of people and pretty fished out.

You can drive up 80e and take 505n until you're in the cache creek area. There's some trout in there but you really gotta battle the heat this time of year, which severely limits the fishing windows. Take a while to find spots on google maps & take a day to scout out spots beforehand

Let's see.. am I missing anywhere?

TrackerDV17
07-14-2019, 02:30 PM
Boat or bank?

How far is not too far?

Chabot
Shadow Cliffs
Lafayette
San Pablo
Lake Solano
Berryessa
Hennessey
Camanche
Pardee
New Hogan
New Melones

I'm sure I missed some.

Mike

FishinJeeper
07-16-2019, 12:23 PM
At least someone responded...9 years later! haha. Its all good. Some of the funnest fishing, is catching them where you never expect to. Out in the Delta, I love tossing a line in the irrigation ditches. There are some lunkers where you least expect them.