PDA

View Full Version : Launch Ramp Drama

Lisa Jean
03-21-2010, 05:13 PM
I’m sure you will admit it too, but I like to look like a pro when I launch and retrieve my vessel. Well today wasn’t like other days for me.

The Delta has been flat all week. Even though the fishing reports were slow that didn’t stop me. I needed a day of leisure on my boat. As I queued up at the launch ramp, I went into that “I’m cool and experienced” mood. I went through my routing like a 747 pilot getting ready for takeoff. Pulling rear straps, setting out the bumpers, positioning the ropes just right. It was a one-man launch. I had done it a hundred times before. I moved the truck into position and expertly backed my boat into the water. I got out to tie the ropes to the dock cleats where I would then slowly back the boat further into the water, jump out smartly, walk down the dock where the boat was afloat, pull in the lines and tie her off. But this time was different. After tying her off and returning to the truck, there it was, sticking straight up at me, like a snake ready to strike. It was my yellow handled crescent wrench. The same one I use to insert the drain plug, which incidentally was setting right next to it.

Yikes, I had made that rookie mistake, again. Heart pounding, quickly I pulled the boat back onto the trailer and pulled it out of the water. Only now I have managed to block both lanes of the ramp whilst I wait an eternity to drain what appeared to be “a whole lot of water”. Now I had everyone’s attention. The guys waiting to launch, were standing at the back of their trucks, hands on the hip, glaring.

It was a very humbling morning.

But wait, there’s more to this story.

In the words of SpongeBob Squarepants “Ten hours later”…I pull up to the dock. The boat in front of me was just pulling out. I was wrong! I was walking up the dock to get my truck I noticed there was an entire family in the back of the truck of the boat being pulled. As the truck pulled forward half way up the ramp its tires smoked. It was a ½ ton truck and a 23’ Bayliner boat. I, like 5 other guys, tried to help. No luck. Somewhere in all this I happen to ask the boat owner if his bilge was full of water. ½ hour later he checked.

While he was draining his bilge I moved my boat over to another ramp. As I walked up to get my truck I said to the two old-timers watching all the action “are you two enjoying all the launch ramp drama”. They laughed. I pulled my boat up on the trailer and jumped into my truck to pull away. This is when my ego got the best of me. I have a ¾ ton diesel. I said to myself “this is how a real truck is supposed to pull a boat”. Lo and behold as I was pulling out of the water my truck slipped on the ramp. Not once but twice. It NEVER does that. When I got out of my truck in the parking lot, I discovered my boat was half off my trailer. Yeah that right, I almost dropped my boat on the ramp. Humbled once again. I backed down the ramp, re-floated the boat and this time attached the wench strap and safety chain.

It was a wonderful day. Thank you God.

fishing925
03-21-2010, 05:37 PM
:wow_2: one simple thing can really ruin a fishing trip. Glad everything turned out fine.

AlbeeFishing
03-21-2010, 05:57 PM
My uncle ownes a boat shop, and every time I talk to him he has at least one new story to tell about some ones boat.
Me and my father in law take his boat out often and I have my jobs he has his, to keep it short we had a third person with us this time and he got me side tracked and I forgot to undo the rear straps We figured it out when the boat would get off the trailer even with a good amount of throtlle.:cuffedik0:

:duh: It happens to the best of us at least once so you should be fine for a while glad to here happy ending though.

StrikeFighter
03-21-2010, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the story...I think we all have some ramp tales...most of them untold....Chuckle

The minute I think I have a Blackbelt in launch ramp I end up humbled

Jason
03-21-2010, 07:40 PM
A few years back, I was fishing for kings at Folsom Lake by myself. I pull in to the launch ramp at Folsom Point, tie my boat to the dock and go get my truck. It was really windy that day and as I back in, I see the rope on the stern has come loose and my boat is now at a right angle to the dock. Trying to move it back around, I realize the skeg is stuck on the ramp. So on a cold, windy March afternoon, I'm in the water moving the boat around. It was a cold trip back home.

rogue
03-22-2010, 06:47 AM
I think we have all had those kind of days and just don"t like to admit it. My son was backing me in the water and just as the trailer hit the water I remembered I forgot to put the plug in :hitoverhead:so I'm there yelling stop !!!! Oh well it has to happen at least once...

Phishinfool2
03-23-2010, 04:08 AM
Thats one good reason to have a "tin can" and only one strap holding it down.
Years ago used to go to Lake Englebright on sunday afternoons just to watch the 3/4 cooked people come in and try to trailer their boats, it was such a good time there would be like ten people sitting on chairs just watching.
The best I ever saw was the guy who was crocked backed the trailer into the water, got out SCREAMED at his wife how to drive the boat onto the trailer, started to pull out, jumped out to yell at his wife and forgot to put the brake on and place in park and proceeded to watch truck, boat, trailer and wife go in the water. Boy did she get a chuckle out of that one, and boy was he ANGRY then.

Jimbo

ibanezax
03-23-2010, 09:33 AM
I hate launching my boat! If I could just drive to the boat , stow my gear and motor away I'd be very happy! But that's not the case.
I feel like a golfer approaching the first tee, you want to start the game off with a nice shot right down the middle of the fairway. You approach the ball, which is right in front of everyone from the catina, the proshop, the locker room and the maintenance shack, take a couple pratice swings and then slice right or nail a worm-burner that barley gets 3" off the ground. Shuck your pride , return your club to the bag and thank God there is 17 more tees hit!
Thats what I feel like!

ibanezax
03-23-2010, 09:37 AM
Thats one good reason to have a "tin can" and only one strap holding it down.
Years ago used to go to Lake Englebright on sunday afternoons just to watch the 3/4 cooked people come in and try to trailer their boats, it was such a good time there would be like ten people sitting on chairs just watching.
The best I ever saw was the guy who was crocked backed the trailer into the water, got out SCREAMED at his wife how to drive the boat onto the trailer, started to pull out, jumped out to yell at his wife and forgot to put the brake on and place in park and proceeded to watch truck, boat, trailer and wife go in the water. Boy did she get a chuckle out of that one, and boy was he ANGRY then.

Jimbo

My parents used to take us kids out to Discovery to watch the "Parade of idiots". Watching the drunks , the parade of kids racing to the out houses, the bikini clad bimbos asking what they could do to help and then do nothing! Yep, makes for a great afternoon!

Escape pod 99
03-24-2010, 06:21 AM
This is not trying to be mean but , one of the best things to do before buying a boat and launching is going to nearby ramps you would use and watch all the fun. A great learning experience!! When i get the chance now its still fun to watch! Bring a lawn chair!

MoMoney
03-24-2010, 07:17 AM
Last spring at the river launch in lathrop while on my jetski a guy was backing down an escalade with 24s not wanting to get his wheels wet tried for 45 minutes driving the boat off the trailer while he was way to far outta the water.Finally conceded to getting his weels wet.then while pulling up the hill hit a bump and the trailer fell off(luckily had saftey chains on)he made it from modesto without the boat trailer latched on!!How lucky!!Then the same day a guy who had not took his boat out in 7 years managed to start it but didnt make it 1/4 mile down river before heading back in in a cloud of smoke.Im sure his impellar was seized up as his manifolds were almost glowing!!We wont get started on all my "learning experiences"!Anyways I think that launch at Dos Reis County park has more novices than I have seen at any other launch!!

Ptack
03-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Been there done that on this one. At berryessa I almost sunk the boat by forgetting the drain plug, first time I ever did that. Got in the water, parked the truck, buddy was in the boat tooling around, came back to the dock to grab me, and my girlfriend said "Theres a lot of water in the back of the boat". That magical phrase jogged my memory. I had him drop me off on shore and told him if it got too bad to beach it. Grabbed the trailer and cut everyone in line (I yelled "my boat is sinking", they seemed to be ok with that), grabbed the boat and it was ok. Man talk about humbling.:baghead:

Fishbucket
03-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Some years ago.. maybe 20-22 yrs... I was ditching from work to go fish lake Cunningham in San Jose.
I got the boat down on the ramp , backed into the water and when I tried to get out and tie the boat up, My truck just kept sliding into the water. Oh, the brake was holding.. it was all the algea on the ramp that was the problem.
I tried to drive it all back out, but couldnt. the truck just kept sliding backwards, getting deeper and deeper. the only thing that mad it stop sliding was standing on the brakes. the fronts wernt in the water yet and would hold on the dry concrete. Trying and trying... the boat was 90 deg.s to the trailer from the breeze. water was at the carpet.. and the front tires were a 1/2 inch from the water....
All I could do was shut off the truck and keep on the brakes. About an hour goes by and a guy walking his dog asked if i was ok. I asked him to tell the ranger at the gate I was stuck when he made it there.
Another hour goes by and a ranger comes down the ramp with a truck and chain. Told him i couldnt get out.. " just wrap it around the bumper" "Thanks !" With one good yank... my bumper was up the ramp.. Ah.. hello !.. I'm still here with the rest of it....:yaya3op: I dont remember what he tied to next.. I was just glad to be off the ramp.

CrappieJed
03-24-2010, 08:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvAHYR5DnZEBill bill dance classic
Most of you remember my black lab gunner, you seen the pics of him. Well it was a Sunday morning and I was hooking the boat up to the jeep and I look over at gunner in his kennel and he has this look on his face….umm are going to let me out or leave me here. Gunner and I make it to bass lake launch. I back the boat in and drive out from under the trailer. I need to go park the jeep and pay for the launch but I want gunner to stay with the boat. I tie my 4 legged buddy up to the boat….ok here it comes I wasn’t paying attention and tie ol’ gunner to the trolling motor…..whoops, gunner sees a squirrel and he thinks he should go try and catch it…well he jerks hard on the rope and up and over the bow comes the motor guide, smashes down and breaks the prop and housing…your right strange and stupid things happen on the ramp.

CrappieJed
03-24-2010, 08:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvAHYR5DnZEBill bill dance classic
Most of you remember my black lab gunner, you seen the pics of him. Well it was a Sunday morning and I was hooking the boat up to the jeep and I look over at gunner in his kennel and he has this look on his face….umm are going to let me out or leave me here. Gunner and I make it to bass lake launch. I back the boat in and drive out from under the trailer. I need to go park the jeep and pay for the launch but I want gunner to stay with the boat. I tie my 4 legged buddy up to the boat….ok here it comes I wasn’t paying attention and tie ol’ gunner to the trolling motor…..whoops, gunner sees a squirrel and he thinks he should go try and catch it…well he jerks hard on the rope and up and over the bow comes the motor guide, smashes down and breaks the prop and housing…your right strange and stupid things happen on the ramp.see i just made another mistake...Lineside now you know the real reason i had to buy the new trolling motor....thanks for mounting it for me.

CJ

deezee
03-30-2010, 01:09 PM
At Garcia Bend I launched smoothly and parked the truck while the wife waited at the ramp. When I got back and jumped in the boat to start it, there was already a foot of water in it...no plug! There was a super nice guy there who had just launched and he pulled my boat up on his trailer, saving me all the time it would have taken to go back to the parking lot and get my truck. I was humbled and at the same time grateful for nice people.

THEN...on just last saturday I launched at Hogback to do some striper trolling. I trolled all the way down to the Old Sac when I got a hookup, so I took it out of gear to get the fish which quickly came unbuttoned. When I went to put it back in gear I found out my shift cable had gone bad...no forward. I'm actually glad it was just me and the dog because I had to go all the way back to Hogback crawling in reverse. I can't imagine what I would have had to endure had the wife been with me. As it was, I got plenty of strange looks from other boats out there. I guess those guys have never had any problems out there.

Goldencarp
03-30-2010, 03:03 PM
I watched while a couple of drunks attempt to retrieve their cabin cruiser at low tide. Finally after many attempts they got the boat onto the trailer, the driver of the truck floored the gas and the boat hit the ramp and remained there for most of the day until the tide came back in to float the boat. Nobody had attached the boat to the trailer. Launch fee $10, drunk boaters, priceless
Yep, a lawn chair, a pic-nic basket and a launch ramp make for some great weekend fun!

Salmon1
03-31-2010, 10:35 AM
OK, the Mother-Of-All-Ramp-Drama-Stories......

When I was about 18 back in SC, me and a couple of my buddies were sitting in a car having some beers and such :naughty: in the parking lot next to the boat launch on Lake Wylie. It is night-time, maybe 8 or 9, January or February, and plenty cold, like 20.Then from the parking area of the seafood resaurant next to the lake comes a little Toyota Corolla with two people in it, driving by us on the way and waving "Hi". We sit there for a few more minutes, and then from over at the ramp, about 200 yds. away, I hear this noise....VRRRRMMM...VRRRRMMMM.

I look over towards the ramp and notice the reverse lights are on in the Toyota, and then go back to BS'n with my buds, and finishing my brewski....I then hear the niose again...VRRRRMMM..VRRRMMM....VRRRMMM and realize the reverse light as still on in the Toyota and they are ON THE RAMP.

We start the Camaro and roll over to the ramp... and what do we find? There is the car, nose first in the water, the tires are spinning on the ICY ramp and the smoke is just billowing off the tires.. The driver is a man about 30, and his passenger, a woman about the same age, is in the water in front of the car up to just past her knees, and the water is just up above the front wheels. She says to us " get in here and help me push!":cold1: Yeah, right. So about this time the guy in the drivers seat says " The water is filling the floorboards....HURRY, PUSH!" I look at my two buds and we all are sure we ain't going in that lake. My buddy who was driving says, " I have some rope in the trunk, we can pull him out!". I tell the driver we are going to pull him out and he let's off the accelerator, pushes in the clutch, slides in a another foot deeper into the drink and THEN puts on the brake.:smiley_crazy:

We get out the 3/8" poly rope and tie it quickly to the bumper of the car....we tie it to the Camaro and start to pull, and just as we start to get the Corolla rolling, the rope snaps. The Toyota rolls further than ever back into the water, now even the rear wheels are in the drink. We double the rope up and tell the chick to tie the rope on again, cause we still ain't getting in the water.... Now the driver says" The water is over the seat now and it's COLD...HURRY UP!!!!" We start pulling again and this time the cars slowly starts backing up the ramp, still spinning the wheels on the ice and finally we have it up to the top of the ramp!!!. I reack over and open the passenger side dooor to lean in and ask the driver if he is OK, and the water came rolling out the door, the chicks shoes came floating out, and we all started ROARING with laughter.:yahoo:

After the laughter stops, even the chick was laughing by the way, I ask the guy what he was thinking driving down the ramp like that with the temps so low, and he said' I was looking for a nice romatic spot, we just had dinner over there at The Hungry Fisherman, and I was coming over here to ask her to marry me. We look down and he has the ring box in his hand...... I look at the woman...she looks at him....and says' Well, you ARE pretty stupid, but YES, I'll marry you!!!":heart:

By the way...the car still had the 30-day temporary plate that they put on at the dealer when you buy a new car.

Lisa Jean
03-31-2010, 07:25 PM
My gut is hurting. Your stories are hilarious. A friend of mind says there is a ramp down in San Diego where people sit and watch the afternoon comedy.

9erhater
03-31-2010, 08:14 PM
ok paulo, Ill give you one I have a launching ritual, put in plug pull off straps, so on.
well I put my plug in and nature calls. I run over to the nearby out house. come back to truck start backing in boat. get trailer in water give that little get off the trailer nudge, boat dont go. try again, boat still on trailer. then realize, time to pull the boat out of the water and remove straps. boat seemed to launch a little easier. only one old guy watching. he just said, "that makes it easier huuh" I just laugh and reply dang rookies. the look on his face said it all.

reel_time
03-31-2010, 09:22 PM
I launch my boat, no problemo. But, in the mountains in the fall, it dips below freezing, so I usually open the valve that takes water in to cool the motor, separating out the sand. I leave it open so it will not crack. I launch the boat the next morning and, not wanting to startle trout, use my electric motor to get out to the spring. I decide I want to motor across the lake to fish a new hole. I fire up the big motor and I am on my way. About 45 seconds in, I notice my feet are wet :nerves: Cannot figure out why. My dad is in a panic wondering if the drain plug is in, which it has been because we didn't sink the first 2 hours we were fishing. I turn the motor off because I cannot get any more speed, what with the new 1000 pounds of water in my boat. I open the engine and see water coming in through the open valve. The electric motor got us back as the bilge pump emptied the water slowly. Made it back fine, and it still took another 10 minutes to drain the rest of the water.:cold1: