PDA

View Full Version : fishing report : sturgeon fishing at Rio Vista 03/21/10

macrosshn
03-22-2010, 07:34 PM
on Satuday 03/21/10, myself, my brother and my supervisor decided to make a day of it and try our hand at catching this prehistoric animal.

after stopping in Isleton to load up on grass shrimp and sardines (we already had lamprey eel and ghost shrimp), we launched the North River at Brannan Island at around 7:30 AM.

on the way out to our spot, i dropped a DD yozuri and trolled out to the big part of the river. 10 minutes later, no bite, reeled in and motored to the power lines.

we dropped four rods in the water soaking a combination of all these baits: eel, grass shrimp, ghost shrimp, shad, and sardines in about 30 ft of water under the power lines near the shipping channel. we fished like this for about 4 hrs, i had a throbbing headache, coupled with the rolling waves---i was near puking on several occassions. after 4 long hours, we still had not a single bite, not even a striper shaker. then the Coast Guard stopped by and basically told us to leave because we were in the shipping channel.

so we decided to move and drop anchor near the mouth of Horseshoe Bend for a few more hours in about 20 ft of water. we fished the incoming tide for a few hours before we decided to give up; partly due to frustration and partly due to the wind that was picking up.

in short, fished about 12 hours and not a single bite. there will be many more days like this in my lifetime but i'll gladly take any day spent on the river than one at home.

92striper
03-22-2010, 08:30 PM
I was there at about the same time, moved from Rio Vista to Broad Slough. Two shaker stripers the whole day. Did you notice it was rough on the main river and really calm in the sloughs?

Anyways, better luck next time!

macrosshn
03-22-2010, 08:37 PM
yeah it did seem pretty calm in the sloughs as opposed to the main river. i forgot to mention that there was a group of guys in a Lund boat that landed a 30-40" sturgeon that was caught and released. looked like fun.

doneli
03-23-2010, 06:47 PM
remember the experts say it takes about 100 hrs on the water to catch a sturgeon....you got 88 more to go:fishing5xd: the more you try the more chances you have to get one....it took me 4 years before catching my first keeper....better luck on the next time.

-doneli-

tnlfishing
03-24-2010, 06:29 PM
Just remember the worst day of :fishing5: is better than the best day of working, an congrats on the :areportmq5:

Bloodthirsty
03-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Thx for posting that good report....its always way harder to post after a trip like that. Posts like that are the reason I am still contributing to the forums..Thank you.....you'll get yours.