PDA

View Full Version : White Sea Bass?

Ugbomb
05-14-2008, 12:01 PM
You know I have caught just about everything out of the bay but I have never seen a White Sea Bass. What area (be vague dont give up your spot) do you catch em? Or with what? Never seen one live. Just curious.

abdiver12
05-14-2008, 01:25 PM
I'm pretty sure you can only get them down in southern Cal Ug where the water's warmer. I haven't heard of anyone taking a WSB in the Bay Area for a long time. Some guy just broke the world spearfishing record last year for WSB right off LA. I gotta try that someday! Here's the article:

http://www.cadivingnews.com/departments/briefs/august07.html

slick88
05-14-2008, 01:31 PM
On my last party boat trip in SF Bay, we had two hook-ups but only one brought on board (~10 lbs). They may be slightly different than the ones in So Cal.

triggerfish
05-14-2008, 02:10 PM
They are the same fish,I have hooked into one on the Berkley flats,But the hook pulled. There has been some caught at duxbery,Santa Cruz. They are around.

reversegut408
05-14-2008, 02:41 PM
Water may be warmer this year maybe you can get one ;D

bobby
05-14-2008, 02:46 PM
I always see a school of huge ones in capitola/santa cruz every year, i live right up the hill from capitola.

Always near the kelp beds!!

tuna_head
05-14-2008, 03:02 PM
the guy hit the nail on the head, capitola live bait dead squid, live squid
stinger hooks on the squid find em feed em hook em eat em

CPTN_JACK
05-14-2008, 03:15 PM
Lots of WSB in the bay and out front!!CJ [smiley=captjack.gif]

realdeal
05-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Definitely capitola, right by the kelp beds or the first buoy. I saw a school of 5 or 6 of them last year, all in the 30 lb+ range. When I came back in, the guy at the pier bait shop told me a 60 pounder had been caught the day before. :o I chucked some swimbaits and hairraisers at them for nada. By far the biggest fish I have seen in that area. Check out the pics from the bayside marine site, I would probably give those guys a call too to see if any have been caught.
http://www.baysidemarinesc.com/photo.html

scfisher831
05-14-2008, 06:23 PM
No seabass yet around Capi area.Water is still to cold still.When water warms up more they will make a showing.When we see Sainers out of Capi netting bait as in squid its time to start fishing as the WSB will come in on a squid spawn.Make sure you got a good reel with line capacity or you will be spooled by a big WSB.I have been spooled be *some toad seabass.They like to seek cover when hooked like the kelp beds.My biggest WSB went 55 lbs and took 45 min to land on 17lb test.
It would be nice if they made a showning like they did around 2001 here in the Montery Bay off of the Montery Hotel and the red whistle bouy.That was a epic WSB run due to a big squid spawn in the Montery Bay.

scfisher831
05-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Heres a picture of 2 50lb WSB I caught off of Montery in 2001
http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/6034/mypictures2xf9.jpg

realdeal
05-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Holy cow those are some big bass! Do they taste any good? Also, are they usually on top or near the bottom of the water column?

Ugbomb
05-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Some guy just got one in the south bay! Posted on this web site. http://www.fishsniffer.com/cgi-bin/forumsyabb/YaBB.pl?num=1209862919
Whats up with that!?

HookedForLife
05-14-2008, 09:59 PM
I caught two on a private boat last year off Point Bonita, one on a white hairaiser and the other on a live anchovy. *Problem was, both were 27.5 inches long, 1/2 inch under the legal size limit!

Used to catch lots of them off Oceanside on sandy bottoms near kelp beds using live anchovies. *Very good eating!

Surf_Samurai
05-15-2008, 10:10 PM
Bobby is right about WSB around Capitola kep beds. The big school of WSB up to 70 lbs show up in the hot summer time. Lots of fishermen hook them up from the private boats. The only problem is that they usually have to snag (literally) them with 2 - 3 oz metal spoons or diamond treble hooks. It is a legal to snag them, yet I'm not very comfortable doing that kinds of fishing. The group of 6 of us hook them up from the local Capitola surf last year (I got 3 of them on 2 oz Mickey)... They were all under 28" unfortunately, but the fight was awesome! They just came in without any signs while we were fishing for halibuts from the surf then they were gone in about 30 min.

Seceret_hole
05-19-2008, 10:51 AM
Posted: -SECRET HOLE-:
SFB. 5-30-06, Live anchovie. 28lb White Sea Bass.
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/Secret_whole/Seabass.jpg

My buddy caught this WSB on the California Dawn a few years ago in the bay on live anchovies. The Captain was so jazzed to see one landed on his boat. He said it's a rare occasion to catch them in the bay.

ken_fishnfool
05-19-2008, 11:29 AM
It's not that rare in the bay anymore. They started coming back in a few years ago. It's thanks to the efforts of cleaning up the bay and restoring wetlands. Now we have anchovies running in all the way down to Palo Alto and the stripers and white sea bass, and halibut, follow them on down.
We first got into some in 2002 hanging with stripers out in front of Alameda. A few more since at Candlestick, Alameda, and all the way up to Red Rock (on big incoming tides).
They seem to be schoolies 4-15 pounds, hanging with striper schoolies, and not as big as the ones in the kelp outside the bay.

Here's hoping the bigger ones start coming in too!! That 28 pounder is a GOOD sign!! :o

They taste REAL GOOD!

triggerfish
05-19-2008, 02:07 PM
they are making a comeback,because of the stocking program they have going on down south,It's been going on for about 15 years now.That's where the money from the ocean enhanchment stamp is going. Its one of the few success stories, fish and game has to their credit. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

realdeal
05-25-2008, 09:36 PM
According to bayside marine, some WSBs have been spotted by the cement ship, so it may not be long now :)

Ugbomb
05-25-2008, 09:41 PM
where is the cement ship

realdeal
05-26-2008, 08:32 AM
seacliff beach

Double_D
05-26-2008, 08:49 AM
I know of a fish sniffer that has been into them for the passed few years around nor cal waters...the guys that have been successful targeting WSB have been very quiet about their catch

reversegut408
05-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Find huge bait balls in your FF and if u find some stripers you should get a WSB. Caught a few undersize monday. They seem to run together

MinnowMagnet
05-27-2008, 03:38 PM
I heard one was caught at berkeley pier over the weekend.

fbanaria
05-27-2008, 04:01 PM
WSB was caught off Capitola Reef a copule of weeks ago. Check it out st santacruzboatrentals.net

jpangie707
05-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Looks like a gigantic King fish haha. Bet they fight better though, probably of the same species huh? ;D

Ugbomb
05-27-2008, 06:01 PM
It kinda does! I never thought of them as looking like giant kingfish. Interesting!

realdeal
05-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Actually, I think i read somewhere that they are very closely related

gmdcdvm
05-27-2008, 08:55 PM
I may be wrong, but I remember reading they are members of the croaker family.

By the way, if any of you plan on releasing them (ie shakers or catch-n-release) you have to be very careful about you handle them. Ideally, they should be kept in the water to remove the hook. Its very easy to remove their slim coating, and they can be very susceptible to infections and death as a result. Try not to net them if you pan on releasing, and minima contact would be ideal. Wet your hands before handling them. From what I read the moratily rates are pretty high for improperly handled fish. They just don't seem as hardy as some others when it comes to handling. Good luck.
Gerry

fbanaria
05-27-2008, 09:08 PM
WSB belongs to the croaker family. *Hence it is a relative of our common kingfish in the SF Bay Area.

Here's an excerpt below:

The white seabass is closely related to the California corbina, but is the only California member of the croaker family to exceed 20 pounds in weight. The largest recorded specimen was 5 feet, 83 pounds. They are most easily separated from other croakers by the presence of a ridge running the length of the belly.

lmramos
05-28-2008, 08:04 AM
Hey Ugbomb, Check out my post "Saturday Surprise". It is about 4 or 5 pages deep in Saltwater-General Discusion. I caught that WSB on the bay in Alameda last month, they are in the Bay....
Mike

Ugbomb
05-29-2008, 05:57 PM
Tour the reason I asked! ;)

Double_D
05-30-2008, 03:57 PM
I've been told that they grow very fast and are very tasty to eat.

sockeyeslammer
06-02-2008, 06:03 PM
I caught my first one last year right off candlestick. I had em in the net and wasn't sure what it was so I let it go. Guesstimite at 45 inches and 30lbs(legal size is 36)...Then my buddy says 'It looked like a WSB' ...I say WTF is that. He says they catch em down in la la land and they are really good eating. He says it's on the top of list for fishing down south...Great, I just let the best fish of the day go and I had no pix...Oh well. That was my first and only sighting of the WSB in the Bay. BTW, we were drifting live 'chovies in about 15' of water.

Good Luck,

Slammer

scfisher831
06-02-2008, 07:34 PM
I caught my first one last year right off candlestick. I had em in the net and wasn't sure what it was so I let it go. Guesstimite at 45 inches and 30lbs(legal size is 36)...Then my buddy says 'It looked like a WSB' ...I say WTF is that. He says they catch em down in la la land and they are really good eating. He says it's on the top of list for fishing down south...Great, I just let the best fish of the day go and I had no pix...Oh well. *That was my first and only sighting of the WSB in the Bay. BTW, we were drifting live 'chovies in about 15' of water.

Good Luck,

Slammer

FYI -WSB Minimum size:twenty-eight inches (28") total lengeth.From tip of head to tip of tail.Limit 3 per angler

reversegut408
06-03-2008, 05:23 PM
Main problem is getting a keeper around here :P ;)

gamecook
06-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Oh man - WSB are probably my favorite fish right now. They are catching them sporadically in the Bay; guy next to me had a hookup on the last halibut trip I went on.

They are migrants to el norte (global warming?), as most are caught in SoCal. If you get one, enjoy it!

Hank Shaw
About.com Guide to Fish & Seafood Cooking
fishcooking.about.com