PDA

View Full Version : transducer damage ??

kokanee amigo
04-03-2010, 01:34 PM
I need expert advice/information on the use of a lowrance LCX sonar/GPs while sitting in my drive way practicing its use and set-up. will this damage the unit or transducer?? Thanks

OYD
04-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Transducers can be damaged if run very long out of the water. Some die quicker than others. However, you can practice with your unit and do the set-up in simulator mode in your driveway. My unit saved the settings I made at home while in simulator mode and then only minor tweeking on the water was needed.

ReelJerks
04-04-2010, 09:12 AM
I never had a transducer fail that wasn't cable caused, but Lowrance does mention it in their manual. What I have done in the shop was to place a 5 gallon bucket under the ducer and fill it with water. Now you're set to play for hours on end. The other thing you can do, (I do this with my HDS), Radio Shack has a nice 115 vac/12 vdc converter, and you can buy another plug for the LCX. All set to practice on the couch while watching Angler West TV.

Edd

Dennis
04-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Download the simulator and install it on your PC or laptop. If you must run the LCX unit 'stop' the sonar and you won't damage the transducer. I've been told by the Lowrance techs that running the unit a couple of days with it out of the water would damage it. So don't take the chance.

lineside
04-04-2010, 06:57 PM
I made the mistake of running mine with the ping speed set at 100% for about two weeks and burned out the transducer..It`s best to learn how to use your sonar out on the water.Just spend the time,It`s worth it.

ReelJerks
04-05-2010, 07:24 AM
Lots of 411 huh Kokanee Amigo? Simplest thing to do is simply unplug the transducer. You can use it for years that way, and let's face it, if the ducer is NOT plugged in, you can hurt it. Dennis mentioned a good idea with the Lowrance Emulator.....and it's FREE and will get you quite acquainted with your unit and it's settings and menu structure. However the Emulator does not have all the functions that your LCX has. But in all actuality Lowrance will tell you NO MORE THAN 20 Minutes of DRY run time.

With HDS units it's a bit more complicated......there is NO Emulator.

Edd

OYD
04-05-2010, 07:44 AM
Lots of 411 huh Lone Angler? Simplest thing to do is simply unplug the transducer. You can use it for years that way, and let's face it, if the ducer is NOT plugged in, you can hurt it. Dennis mentioned a good idea with the Lowrance Emulator.....and it's FREE and will get you quite acquainted with your unit and it's settings and menu structure. However the Emulator does not have all the functions that your LCX has. But in all actuality Lowrance will tell you NO MORE THAN 20 Minutes of DRY run time.

With HDS units it's a bit more complicated......there is NO Emulator.

Edd

:question: I am not the one who asked the question. My post was an answer to the question.

kokanee amigo
04-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Many thanks to all that provided much information and great advice. I look forward to long use without adding more expenses to my fishing using the information

ReelJerks
04-05-2010, 09:45 AM
:question: I am not the one who asked the question. My post was an answer to the question.
Duly noted and corrected. :youreright9cm:

:baghead:

Dennis
04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Duly noted and corrected. :youreright9cm:

Edd,
You might want to try decaf or slow down and read a little. :happy:

Just kidding...

ReelJerks
04-05-2010, 11:06 AM
Edd,
You might want to try decaf or slow down and read a little. :happy:

Just kidding...

Who's Edd? Can't you see I'm incognito? At least until I catch a Trout, Koke or King this year.

I am.....the Nameless Angler! I don't deserve a name.