PDA

View Full Version : Shad!Shad!Shad!lower AR!

addicted2Daiwa
04-16-2010, 05:47 PM
Went fishing yesterday because of rumors that the silver bullets entered lower American and BLAM! Went my usual secret spot and caught over 12!:yikes:I can't figure out how to post the d*** pics from my camera but I will post it ASAP as soon as I figure why photo bucket isn't cooperating. I have pics but can't figure why it isn't working like the old forum?:readinghelp0wn::readinghelp0wn:

doneli
04-16-2010, 07:36 PM
i still use photobucket and is still the same way.....thanks for the report and waiting for the pics

-doneli-

B-RAN
04-16-2010, 08:20 PM
YES!!!!:bananatiedie: I'm ready! gotta start police'n those waters! :cop:

shadfever
04-16-2010, 08:28 PM
YES!!!!:bananatiedie: I'm ready! gotta start police'n those waters! :cop:

Excellent news, going to check it out next week, hopefully it's not to late. were you fishing near the bridge? thanks

AlbeeFishing
04-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Where you above or below watt just wondering?
I just upload my pics from my computer I dont use photobucket. Much easyer then the old form for me.

addicted2Daiwa
04-17-2010, 07:01 PM
C'mon where's those pics.......:grin:

I couldn't get the pictures from the other day's post but I got today's result to cooperate... I still can't get the pics a couple days ago to cooperate with me on photo bucket!:angry:
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac38/addicted2daiwa/Pic0867.jpg
first hookup this morning before light:clap: sorry for the pics quality, cruddy camera and I couldn't set the light posture this morning for my camera...
http://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac38/addicted2daiwa/Pic0866.jpg
End result of today... caught 3:hissyfit: Can't tell what happened, they all like disappeared!:hitfish: I suspect they are moving up river because two days ago, the action was RED HOT! but today it was limited... Good LUCK!:clap:

addicted2Daiwa
04-18-2010, 07:53 PM
Hmmm... I noticed some sort of strange pattern this evening when I got off work and decided to head out to my usual place.:confused2: I got a LOT of hits like the shad never left the area but every time I set the hook I would end up with no hookset? I ended the evening with no fish but well over fifteen missed hookset with only two firm foul hook:sad: Sorry I can't post those pics because I immediately returned them to the water because I want nothing to do with being called a snagger, so... my question is had anybody began catching them up the river? I don't need the area but just some confirmation to know whether or not the shad had began traveling again. Thanks for any info:sonar:

_Guppy
04-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Had a couple hits tonight, I was fishing above watt ave...

Swimbaitjunkie
04-18-2010, 09:20 PM
What color jig did U use?

_Guppy
04-19-2010, 05:58 AM
Does anyone wanna tell me some locations.....not honey holes but just general locations on the lower AR to get started. I catch plenty on the sac but want to try something new.
Howe Ave, Watt Ave, Harrington, Riverbend, Rosmoore, El manto
Right now the fish are scattered but your best bet is to try down low near Howe or Watt.

_Guppy
04-19-2010, 06:23 AM
Certain places you do, The river isnt to cold right now so you can wet wade.

t-con777
04-19-2010, 06:45 AM
Does anyone wanna tell me some locations.....not honey holes but just general locations on the lower AR to get started. I catch plenty on the sac but want to try something new.
wait a few more weeks and you can try the walking bridge down in fair oaks.

Mr. Striper
04-19-2010, 07:43 AM
There are a few people here who are catching shad and thats great however, I think some folks are taking shad fishing to the next level and are treating them as if they were catching stripers or steelhead here on the AR :lipsrsealed:.

Come on guys, a little help goes along way here for some people and dont act like you have never asked for help or info here on the site before. After all THIER JUST SHAD!! No one is asking for anyone's "honey hole" just a general idea of were they are.

BeefCakeScout
04-19-2010, 09:37 AM
I've never fished below watt so I can't give a lot of input, but just above the rapids behind larchmont park did pretty good for me last year and I NEVER saw another person there when I was fishing.

BeefCakeScout
04-19-2010, 09:44 AM
There are a few people here who are catching shad and thats great however, I think some folks are taking shad fishing to the next level and are treating them as if they were catching stripers or steelhead here on the AR :lipsrsealed:.

Come on guys, a little help goes along way here for some people and dont act like you have never asked for help or info here on the site before. After all THIER JUST SHAD!! No one is asking for anyone's "honey hole" just a general idea of were they are.
I don't think its really an issue of giving up honey holes. Its more an issue that lots of people know the good spots and they are already crowded. I made the mistake of posting about a big stripe my brother caught in one of our good holes, and the next night there were 15 boats there. The power of the internet is HUGE when it comes to fishing. I have all but quit fishing sara park for that reason alone. 40' of bank to stand on and 10 guys trying to use it all is just a mess.

Mr. Striper
04-19-2010, 10:19 AM
[QUOTE=BeefCakeScout;767144]. I made the mistake of posting about a big stripe my brother caught in one of our good holes,

Agian, not a striper, just shad. These are not trophy's folks just fun for your whole family to catch, my boys have been catching them sence they were 2yrs old.

I fish the AR very hard 3-5 days a week surching for stripers and steelhead. I dont post these outtings at all or ever will just for the reason you stated earlier and there are TOOOO many lurkers here, so I do agree with you to a point. But, these are not steelhead or stripers, just shad.

addicted2Daiwa
04-19-2010, 10:21 AM

Well, I don't want the area I fish to get packed with drift boats again, I learned from my mistakes last time posting pics of area where the fish were caught...:lipsrsealed: as far as I'm concern I'm not the kind of guy that enjoy combat fishing at those "urban fishing holes since I enjoy solitude a lot while fishing..." But okay then, as far as I'm catching them, all the hookups right now are areas of the river below the Watt. I'm no expert on fish but this year I've got to admit, the shad surprised me by arriving pretty early... As far as I know, I think they're scattered in SMALL and LARGE groups throughout the AR right now but the whole part of shad fishing is to locate the fishes which makes it really hard for people who found the fish to just start giving up areas... Just yesterday, I heard rumors that some people are already catching them by Ancil Hoffman Park but I can't confirm that since I hadn't gone up the river that far yet. :sonar: So far I've been killing them off pink grubs with a small split shot armed with 7ft light action abu garcia, and 4lbs test+18inch leader... and I'll probably be going to fisherman's warehouse soon to stock up on them before they run out:mat:I guess that's already too much info right there, but hope it helps:thumbup:

BeefCakeScout
04-19-2010, 10:47 AM
my point exactly. even if it were a good spot for suckers I wouldn't want 20 poles in 1 small area.

Mr. Striper
04-19-2010, 10:58 AM
I totally under stand your point. Then why post your outting it if you guys are that worried about it??

BeefCakeScout
04-19-2010, 11:43 AM
I will post my outings without much worry, i'll even give a general area. But to say I caught this/these hawgs at sara park/watt ave/star bend/boyds/etc. is just inviting trouble. For that matter, I will even give specific locations if you PM me about them or wanna meet up and fish a little. But there are too many lurkers here to put it out on the big web.

Mr. Striper
04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
I will post my outings without much worry, i'll even give a general area. But to say I caught this/these hawgs at sara park/watt ave/star bend/boyds/etc. is just inviting trouble. For that matter, I will even give specific locations if you PM me about them or wanna meet up and fish a little. But there are too many lurkers here to put it out on the big web.

I so agree:clap:. I would never give a pin point of my where abouts and I dont think all those other folks were asking that. Just a general area. Saying below watt ave is perfect, theres almost 5 miles of river from watt to the confluence. How much room do you need?
And I too would NEVER post a pic of any back ground in it here, there are too many places where certain foilage grows and dont on the river.

chancan
04-19-2010, 03:42 PM
Never fish for shad b4 and what kind of lures to used. Where are the shad now. Years ago people used to line fishing for shad down by pocket area. Can u still fish there

Bigg A
04-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Even tho they are shad.... I would have to agree with you guys about locations. Showed 1 guy a good bank spot last year for shad and I hardly ever got to fish that spot again. Some spots just dont have enough room so I had to go back to the boat. Sometimes its nice to be able to take a 15-20 minute drive to fish from the bank and hear your drag scream!!!!...:yahoo:

MarkdaShark19
04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
I must agree with pretty much everyone here in a way. They are just shad not some trophy fish or are in danger of being fished out. but I know I am a guy who likes fishing in solitude in a more quiet environment no mater what the fish is. And the AR is just a river . . . once you put a spot up here its over you'll have 10 different people breathing down your neck the next day while your fishing. Saying lower or upper american I find as an acceptable answer as far as location goes.

going4broke1981
04-21-2010, 11:23 AM
who wants to meet out here? i'm the only person out of my group of fishing buds that like to shad fish, i won't be bringing my family, friends, or gang. we don't have to be partying, just meet up and see who comes out on top when someone gives. sac river is too dirty to fish, probably a waste of time, wouldn't mind doing a little shadding.

addicted2Daiwa
04-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I went to Fisherman's Warehouse today and they're out of PINK GRUBS! I can't believe it!:signs703jx: I ended up settling on the green grubs:foottap: and they couldn't specify how long it'll take before they get more.:nerves:I've caught some fish on the green but never as much as on pink. Oh well... I'll be out there on Friday again so I'll post results if I get any. Good Luck!

AlbeeFishing
04-21-2010, 03:02 PM
I went to Fisherman's Warehouse today and they're out of PINK GRUBS! I can't believe it!:signs703jx: I ended up settling on the green grubs:foottap: and they couldn't specify how long it'll take before they get more.:nerves:I've caught some fish on the green but never as much as on pink. Oh well... I'll be out there on Friday again so I'll post results if I get any. Good Luck!

Just get the white or clear ones and get spike it in pink.
Works great.:spongebob:

Bigg A
04-21-2010, 04:44 PM

Glad I picked up some the other day.....now I gotta start scouting the AR to put them to use. :wallbash:

Bigg A
04-21-2010, 04:49 PM
who wants to meet out here? i'm the only person out of my group of fishing buds that like to shad fish, i won't be bringing my family, friends, or gang. we don't have to be partying, just meet up and see who comes out on top when someone gives. sac river is too dirty to fish, probably a waste of time, wouldn't mind doing a little shadding.

When and where are you trying to meet? I dont know crap about the AR for shad except that they hit pink grubs...lol. :grin:

going4broke1981
04-21-2010, 07:33 PM
When and where are you trying to meet? I dont know crap about the AR for shad except that they hit pink grubs...lol. :grin:
i went at around 2 pm, stopped off at fishermans warehouse, and got some pink curly tailed grubs and some pink and white shad darts, is that how it goes on the american up here? im pretty sure the grubs i got were the wrong ones, because they were fully stocked, i'll take a picture of it later tonite after i get back from the gym. sucked out there, so i didn't bother even rigging for shad, just striper fished, threw swim baits and cut bait, spent maybe a total of an hour fishing in about three spots, under the watt ave brdige and howe ave bridge, not directly under, but you get the idea, i've fished for shad closer to the richards blvd area in the nineties and it was producing but that was maybe in may and june. im down for some fishing tomorrow, name a place, otherwise im back in west sacramento fishing for stripers again.

MarkdaShark19
04-21-2010, 10:17 PM
the big daddy select 1 inch champaign pink grubs are the ones to get. I fish them off of a 1/16th jig head free lined with 2lb test on my light action rod. Killed them at rossmoor and el manto last year doing it. And thats off of the bank.

Mr. Striper
04-22-2010, 05:53 AM

Wow, I was just there on tuesday and the shelvs were full. Guess the mad rush for them finally hit.

t-con777
04-22-2010, 07:10 AM
if you need help finding grubs walmart has a pack of 50 little pink grubs i forget the name but the package is clear with blue on top and they are like $1.50 maybe $2

Bigg A
04-22-2010, 07:28 AM
Which walmart?

BeefCakeScout
04-22-2010, 01:12 PM
yeah, sorry about that pink grub shortage. If its any condolence, i bought some green too:smile:

going4broke1981
04-22-2010, 02:30 PM
yeah, sorry about that pink grub shortage. If its any condolence, i bought some green too:smile:
any pics of the these grubs you guys are talking about? i tried posting pics of the ones i have, but i couldn't compact the size, too big to post, even on my camer phone's lowest settings. mine are about an inch and a half max length, pink sep's pro cure ones. i've always just done what everyone else i've seen on the bank do, and that's just throwing a naked shad dart, no grub at all, anyone ever have a striper or salmon hit the darts?

deezee
04-22-2010, 04:27 PM
I was throwing a small white grub on wednesday above Watt and hooked one shad (LDR...Grrr), and landed a 5 lb squawfish. That was fun on ultralite tackle.

truckfr88
04-22-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm glad I got all my jigs and 1in pink champaine
grubs back in nov.
I learned 8 years ago not to wait
till last minute!!!!!!!!!!!!
Caught 9 this morning from 630-9am.
Below watt...

Bigg A
04-22-2010, 07:23 PM
Did you happen to get any pics?

truckfr88
04-22-2010, 07:48 PM
U cAn use split or bobber, they both work.
Just depends on what u prefer.
Right now they are hit or miss.
About 3 more weeks they will be
all over the place.
Wher the sac clears up u can slam
em out there too!

Good luck

going4broke1981
04-22-2010, 07:54 PM
Stopped off at the walmart out here and combed the aisles had no luck with grubs, there were mixed assortment boxes for crappie, but no 50 packs of pinks, thank you sniffers :cheesy:

BeefCakeScout
04-22-2010, 08:02 PM
any pics of the these grubs you guys are talking about? i tried posting pics of the ones i have, but i couldn't compact the size, too big to post, even on my camer phone's lowest settings. mine are about an inch and a half max length, pink sep's pro cure ones. i've always just done what everyone else i've seen on the bank do, and that's just throwing a naked shad dart, no grub at all, anyone ever have a striper or salmon hit the darts?
I got some trout hits last night.

truckfr88
04-22-2010, 08:38 PM
I've always caught them in faster moving
water. I just look for what I think looks
good and try it for about 45 min,
if I get no hits I move on.
I mostly go out on my pontoon,
so it's easier too find the fish.
I fish the sac the first month or so
then I move to American.
Today I was on foot, 2 days ago I fished same
spot and got zip.

profzim
04-23-2010, 07:08 AM
Finding and hooking shad is one thing, but landing them is another. I found that out the hard way when I'd lose like half the fish I hooked. Advice:

1) You can set the hook relatively hard, just don't yank with all your might or barely at all. It's a medium hook set, is how I'd describe it.

2) Apply even pressure and keep the rod tip up. If you give shad slack, especially if you use barbless, they will easily throw the hook and pop off. I would reel in and bring the rod tip down slowly before bringing the tip back up, if you drop the tip too fast you create that slack that will allow them to escape.

Hope this helps some of the newbies. Tight lines!

_Guppy
04-23-2010, 09:11 PM
If you guys had the choice where would you rather fish, Howe or Cal Expo/ Paradise?

going4broke1981
04-23-2010, 10:04 PM
If you guys had the choice where would you rather fish, Howe or Cal Expo/ Paradise?

id like to know this one as well, i was out tonite scouting the howe ave side of the bank, only found one spot in the 1/4 mile i walked where you could cast without entering the water, or accessing the open water, found many areas where it pooled. didn't start fishing until 8, only made a few casts of my shad dart until i decided to do a little top water for stripers, no takers tonight. i think the only place to fish the american is where tent city was located, the water around there looks to hold potential striper and probably where the shad take a nice break during the migration. about three years ago i fished there for an afternoon, didn't see anyone else fishing there, except for some guys throwing line out spooled around soda cans. but someone did fish there either earlier that day or days prior because it looked like someone had scaled their shad catch there.

going4broke1981
04-24-2010, 04:12 PM
took advice from this thread, went out to fishermans warehouse and got some of these grubs, and the sales person convinced me to also grab a pack of the jig heads, he said that on the american river out here, they don't hit shad darts, is that true?

grubs are the big daddys select, clear pink, with specks, 50 pack for $5.00

and got some luck "e" strike u.s.a. painted round jig headsin 1/8th oz. in pink, absolutely none of these left in pink or chartreuse in the 1/16th weight. price was 1.99 for a 10 pack.

going to test them out in a little bit off howe and northrop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA8SMic4Xlc
vid of what i have, this look right? because i can't seem to load any pictures on this site anymore right off of my computer, whether they are good or low quality pictures, whats up with that?

Mr. Striper
04-24-2010, 07:19 PM
You the same stuff I have. You'll be fine.

Bigg A
04-24-2010, 08:02 PM
took advice from this thread, went out to fishermans warehouse and got some of these grubs, and the sales person convinced me to also grab a pack of the jig heads, he said that on the american river out here, they don't hit shad darts, is that true?

grubs are the big daddys select, clear pink, with specks, 50 pack for $5.00

and got some luck "e" strike u.s.a. painted round jig headsin 1/8th oz. in pink, absolutely none of these left in pink or chartreuse in the 1/16th weight. price was 1.99 for a 10 pack.

going to test them out in a little bit off howe and northrop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA8SMic4Xlc
vid of what i have, this look right? because i can't seem to load any pictures on this site anymore right off of my computer, whether they are good or low quality pictures, whats up with that?

Well...... how was it? I was there a few days ago and hooked something but I lost it. :wallbash:

going4broke1981
04-24-2010, 09:05 PM
i ended up casting out at watt, directly under the watt ave bridge. west side of the bridge on the south shore. seen a guy throwing flies out there, had no takers, got hung up a few times there, had to rerig, was out there for a good hour, threw a spinner after a while, had no luck with that either. still getting aquainted with the american river up here.
where i fished.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siAr5Q-Oj5c

will post fights when i actually start hooking up on some fish.

MarkdaShark19
04-25-2010, 10:17 AM
I notice the 1/8th size jig heads don't work as well. they are too big and they sink to fast. If you can catch some on them then good for you but for me they don't work. I don't even bother looking for the lucky craft ones because they are always gone. I but the big daddy's select jig heads in the 1/16th size that are just a plain lead head (no color). Not as many people but those ones because they aren't colored and they are on a different isle so they don't even see them. They are one isle over from the other jig heads in Fishermans warehouse

going4broke1981
04-26-2010, 12:11 AM
yeah, 1/8th size jig heads were fully stocked 1/16th all out, hehe. will probably swing through fishermans warehouse tomorrow on my way out for striper and see if i can grab a few of those non colored jig heads, im sure the old lady has nail paint colors in pink and probably even chartreuse, might make my own colors as well. fished the american river today across from paradise beach again, no takes at all, going to give up on the sacramento tarpons for a bit, and head back to the main river for striper.