PDA

View Full Version : drag set questions??

dogfish
04-17-2010, 04:15 PM
when using a downrigger you need to set the drag tight enough to bow the line. do you set it just tight enough for this or do you set it tighter,and when the fish pulls the line out of the clip does that really set the hook?
and how do you set the drag when your top lineing?
this website is awesome , thank you for reading

Trout Tracker
04-17-2010, 06:59 PM
dogfish.
I don't have riggers so that part of your question i can't answer.
But when i'm toplineing i set the drag to where when i pull the line i don't have to pull to hard.
For me it was trial an error to get it just where i wanted it or thought it should be.
After i hook up i usually have to ajust my drag to the fish.
I hope this helps.
TT

dilbeck
04-17-2010, 07:24 PM
when i'm toplineing i set the drag to where when i pull the line i don't have to pull to hard.
For me it was trial an error to get it just where i wanted it or thought it should be.
After i hook up i usually have to ajust my drag to the fish.
I hope this helps.
TT

+1 and I do the same thing with downriggers.

Michael

fishwishin
04-17-2010, 07:33 PM
I do the same thing as Trout_Tracker. I run the lure out to desired set back and close the spool. I adjust the drag only tight enough so that it does not pay line out at trolling speed.

:cool:

ReelJerks
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM
I set mine tight enough to allow for a good bow in the rod. The strike doesn't ALWAYS hook the fish, but if it does you need to be quick with the rod. I usually lessen the drag and thumb the spool. You can apply plenty of pressure with your thumb to hold the fish for the entire fight.

:baghead:

Jetspray
04-19-2010, 03:23 PM
More important with DR's to worry about the clip tension, make sure to twist the line a few times before putting the line in and give it a yank to see how much force is applied and adjust accordingly. If the drag is too tight a fish swimming in the opposite direction of your boat (at attack speed)will add that force to the hit and snap your line. Always make adjustments for conditions and include your lure size/action, line type/size, and boat speed......Jetspray

starcraft69
04-20-2010, 05:57 AM
why do you put a twist or two in the line? Im still a little new to trolling

ReelJerks
04-20-2010, 07:09 AM

Well for the 'alligator' type releases where it 'pinches' the line, the twist will pull down to form sort of a knot at the clip which allows you to set the tension a tad-bit looser. I use the Chamberlain releases and there is NO pinching device yet I have vertical tension adjustment and strike tension adjustment. No false strikes!

AlbeeFishing
04-20-2010, 08:13 AM
As forthe DR's its been a trial and erorr for me you want it tight enough that you can bow your rod notnot so tight that it can break you line with a hard strike. If its to loose then you can loose some fish since it would be hard to get a good hook set.
I also like to use those rubber snubbers to help eliminate breakswith hard strikes I love them.
Setting the hook is another test and toon thing to I had a hard time with that I always tried to set it by jerking back on the rod and I ended up pilling it in with nothing. Then a friend told me to grab the rod and as you pull back reel dont jerk , since I started doing that Ive had less losses.
Also for the DR's I like to use a rod that has a fast action tip but some back bone in it.
I hope that helps you Practice Practice Practice..

Jetspray
04-20-2010, 08:30 AM

Skallywag has it somewhat right, however the twist reacts like pulling line twisted in a levelwind reel. If you pull on both ends of the twist it will spin free easily due to smaller amount of surface tension on the line. I usually try it a few times, with the line I am using, because each type of line is different and pressure adjusments on the surface diminish the chances of a false strike release. It is a choice thing and some releases are different for sure as well as pads, pins, ballbearings, or whatever holds your line......Jetspray

GeneO
04-20-2010, 10:39 AM
Hope this isn't hijacking the thread but we are at the subject now. What type of release are most of us using currently? I have used Sep's, Vance's and currently Shasta releases and it seems I still get false releases and sometimes drag a dink around for half an hour before I check my lines. I checked out the Chamberlain website after Scallywag mentioned them and even though they are more costly for those of us with limited numbers of fishing days per year and manual down riggers they sure sound promising. GeneO

Jetspray
04-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Hope this isn't hijacking the thread but we are at the subject now. What type of release are most of us using currently? I have used Sep's, Vance's and currently Shasta releases and it seems I still get false releases and sometimes drag a dink around for half an hour before I check my lines. I checked out the Chamberlain website after Scallywag mentioned them and even though they are more costly for those of us with limited numbers of fishing days per year and manual down riggers they sure sound promising. GeneO
Most of the time I use Shuttle Hawks while fishing downriggers. The chaimberlain unit is not suitable for this application at this time, it does look promising for those who like running and stacking rigs. As far as the releases on the Shuttle Hawk I use Sep's releases on them because of the adjustments you can make by sliding the spring forward or backward. Main thing is wear of the pads and for that I always carry spares. If I want to adjust the height of the hawk on the DR line I use rubberbands to stop the descent. Biggest problem with this so far is fisherman awareness of how the hawk is placed on the line before letting them descend (lost one a Pyramid just a few days ago because of this).......Jetspray

ReelJerks
04-21-2010, 07:20 AM
Most of the time I use Shuttle Hawks while fishing downriggers. The chaimberlain unit is not suitable for this application at this time, it does look promising for those who like running and stacking rigs. As far as the releases on the Shuttle Hawk I use Sep's releases on them because of the adjustments you can make by sliding the spring forward or backward. Main thing is wear of the pads and for that I always carry spares. If I want to adjust the height of the hawk on the DR line I use rubberbands to stop the descent. Biggest problem with this so far is fisherman awareness of how the hawk is placed on the line before letting them descend (lost one a Pyramid just a few days ago because of this).......Jetspray

Right, Chamberlain, Blacks and the Roemer will not work OFF of the Shuttle Hawk, but I believe that's the only situation where they won't. Ironhead swears by Roemer releases but I have never tried them. The Chamberlain release is very simple to use. Fresnofishfan watched me one time and he was off and running, and my Nephew, who never rigger fished before, picked it up on his second attempt. But as I said earlier, with the hand crankers, you can't beat the Shuttle Hawk.

GeneO
04-21-2010, 02:22 PM
I have had good luck with the shuttle hawk and I may just change the release on them. My rigger cables was starting to fray at the end of last season and I was going to replace the cable with the braided line in order to reduce blow back. Will shuttle hawks work on braided downrigger line? After loosing a couple of shuttle hawks I have now drilled two small holes and use a small zip tie to keep the hawk from coming off.
GeneO

Jetspray
04-21-2010, 04:27 PM
I have had good luck with the shuttle hawk and I may just change the release on them. My rigger cables was starting to fray at the end of last season and I was going to replace the cable with the braided line in order to reduce blow back. Will shuttle hawks work on braided downrigger line? After loosing a couple of shuttle hawks I have now drilled two small holes and use a small zip tie to keep the hawk from coming off.
GeneO

Too much hassle to take off the hawks if you are going extremely deep, like the ocean or Tahoe. The guy that lost this one was just not on his game that day. No big loss and they do wear out due to friction on the line. I have Cannons so I don't use braid, deeper I go bigger weights are in order anyway......Jetspray