PDA

View Full Version : How to cook Shad?

addicted2Daiwa
04-17-2010, 04:47 PM
okay this is the first time ever I actually kept a couple of shad but I'm not experienced at cooking the bony fishes since I eat a majority of planter trout and panfish species with an occasional striper:lobster:, so the question is... How do you cook these guys? The crockpot technique worked but the fish taste AWFULLY plain!:confused::confused::confused: I tried smoking a couple but it doesn't seem to help the taste. Anybody got a recipe I can use? I know the asian folks and eastern americans love these guys but I everytime I attempt to cook these guys, it turns out to be an epic fail. Help?:oregonian_winesmile

Bigg A
04-18-2010, 12:47 PM
I slow bake them for 5-6 hours laying bacon strips across the pieces I filet. I set the temp at 225 degrees and the only seasoning I use is black pepper and a little garlic salt. Place fish in a pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil. I enjoy the oily meat of shad so I dont over season there meat. After its done, I eat it over a bowl of rice. Now since thats squared away, how about showing a fellow sniffer the technique of fishing the AR.

CrappieJed
04-18-2010, 07:32 PM
I slow bake them for 5-6 hours laying bacon strips across the pieces I fillet. I set the temp at 225 degrees and the only seasoning I use is black pepper and a little garlic salt. Place fish in a pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil. I enjoy the oily meat of shad so I dint over season there meat. After its done, I eat it over a bowl of rice. Now since thats squared away, how about showing a fellow sniffer the technique of fishing the AR.
BA you wont eat a beer battered spotted bass white flaky fillet but you will eat a shad :yikes:

CrappieJed
04-18-2010, 07:34 PM
i couldn't resist......lol i like shad too, heck i will eat anything that wont eat me first :turkycut1:

Bigg A
04-18-2010, 08:44 PM
BA you wont eat a beer battered spotted bass white flaky fillet but you will eat a shad :yikes:

Hell yeah!!!! Shad are delicious and good for you.:yahoo:

CrappieJed
04-19-2010, 05:48 AM
Lineside and i want to come down and catch some this year......ive had shad smoked and it was really good...i love to smoke fish so when the shad get going good let us know. i heard crappie jigs good tech?

Bigg A
04-19-2010, 07:37 PM
As soon as the river clears up, I'll be back out...:action-smiley-035:

CrappieJed
04-19-2010, 07:53 PM
As soon as the river clears up, I'll be back out...:action-smiley-035:
shad are in right now or they are waiting on clear water....i understood the redding area is where to catch shad

sethonious
04-21-2010, 08:54 AM
Wrap the roe (or sorftoe) in bacon and panfry. The rest of the fish gets cured for bait.

Reel Fun
04-21-2010, 07:31 PM
In the sun on the shore!!!!!

RF

reel_time
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
When I cooked them in the past, I canned them. De-scale the shad...(a real bit*h). Then, cut into smaller squares, like say 1.5 inches. The cubes of meat go into a canning jar containing some vegetable oil, some water, some vinegar, a few cloves of garlic, a jalapeno or two, and they get pressure canned for like 20 minutes I think...but don't quote me on this. Check the Ball Jar blue book for canning recipes. Oh yeah, some a little salt and a few peppercorns. The chunks of fish on a cracker with cream cheese is really good. After the canning, the bones are virtually non-existent. Can't taste them and won't know they're there.

fishingaddict
04-27-2010, 08:40 AM
shad are in right now or they are waiting on clear water....i understood the redding area is where to catch shad

Last weekend when I was out for Stripers I'd seen a couple of boats anchored above the marina at Verona catch some as I was driving by. I normally use chart or pink curly tail grubs in 1" to catch them.

BeefCakeScout
06-14-2010, 12:35 PM
I slow bake them for 5-6 hours laying bacon strips across the pieces I filet. I set the temp at 225 degrees and the only seasoning I use is black pepper and a little garlic salt. Place fish in a pan and cover tightly with aluminum foil. I enjoy the oily meat of shad so I dont over season there meat. After its done, I eat it over a bowl of rice. Now since thats squared away, how about showing a fellow sniffer the technique of fishing the AR.
I'll take you out on the AR if you can make a shad edible. I would use the old Carp recipe for shad.

1 shad
1 green oak slab
salt
pepper
garlic
old bay

Place the fish on the oak slab, season liberally with spices and bake for 1 hour at 450 degree's. Remove from the oven, throw away shad and eat the oak slab.