PDA

View Full Version : FF/GPS intalation tips

fishhook 60
04-18-2010, 11:25 AM
Im going to install a ff/gps unit on a aluminum 14ft boat in the next few days, ive read the instructions and basically know what ill be doing .But im courious of any tips you guys may have that the instructions dont tell ,bolts thought the hull how should i seal them ,silicone or another type , any info would be great.

ReelJerks
04-19-2010, 07:34 AM
Let's try to be a bit more specific. What brand, model of FF and same for the transducer. Why are you installing a thruhull in a 14' aluminum boat as opposed to a transom mounted ducer? Aluminum boats that small generally 'FLEX' at will and a thruhull transducer will continually weep in water. Not the best choice in my book, but, if that's what you have...that is what you install.

Just my opinion.

fishhook 60
04-19-2010, 02:22 PM
Sorry Skallywag ,i didnt mean through the hull.I meant to seal the holes i will drill for the transducer,is there a specific type of sealant people would use or would some regular silicon be sufficiant in the bolt holes,The unit is a Lowrance 525c

ReelJerks
04-19-2010, 02:53 PM
Sorry Skallywag ,i didnt mean through the hull.I meant to seal the holes i will drill for the transducer,is there a specific type of sealant people would use or would some regular silicon be sufficiant in the bolt holes,The unit is a Lowrance 525c

Your best avenue of approach here would be to attach a 6" X 10" piece of 'Starboard' or the likes to the transom. Use something like 3-M 5200 to bond it to the transom. Now you're set to mount and remount all the transducers you may like.