PDA

View Full Version : Berkeley Butts 4-18-10

MoMoney
04-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Well was gonna try for salmon today but last minute change,decided to stay in the bay.California Dawn was the boat,Full load not sure 20-22 anglers.Trolled and drifted dead bait at south hampton paradise,ran all the way to some pier right by the vallejo bridge and back to Richmond to finish the dayaround 430-5pm.Fishing was very slow,one guy got a bass around 6-7 lbs early then a couple little bass before first halibut in board,then 2 shaker buttts then nothin that had to be lunch time then ran up towards vallejo caught 3 bass trolling bait suspended off bottom.Meanwhile I hadnt any action,weather was nice though,food was plentiful etcc so I wasnt complaining.Then after run to richmond I got involved in 2 nasty tangles was gettin kinda frustrated decided to put my line down 1 more time Bam 10 lb butt for me followed by 2 more for 2 others within 10 minutes.My little 10lb butt had the jackpot till the last butt beat me by about 2 lbs.So maybe 10 fish or so for the day.Had a great relaxing day got sunburned,Ate all the food I brought plus a steak sandwich from the galley(Cal Dawn Has a Cook),caught a nice halibut met some nice people and experienced a great Captain James and his Deckhand Darrin (really enjoyed them).Vary calm no wind to speak of today!!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/samcperez/Cal%20Dawn%204-18-2010/CalDawn4-18-2010019.jpg?t=1271645140
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/samcperez/Cal%20Dawn%204-18-2010/CalDawn4-18-2010010.jpg?t=1271645233

4 Reels
04-18-2010, 07:38 PM
Well was gonna try for salmon today but last minute change,decided to stay in the bay.California Dawn was the boat,Full load not sure 20-22 anglers.Trolled and drifted dead bait at south hampton paradise,ran all the way to some pier right by the vallejo bridge and back to Richmond to finish the dayaround 430-5pm.Fishing was very slow,one guy got a bass around 6-7 lbs early then a couple little bass before first halibut in board,then 2 shaker buttts then nothin that had to be lunch time then ran up towards vallejo caught 3 bass trolling bait suspended off bottom.Meanwhile I hadnt any action,weather was nice though,food was plentiful etcc so I wasnt complaining.Then after run to richmond I got involved in 2 nasty tangles was gettin kinda frustrated decided to put my line down 1 more time Bam 10 lb butt for me followed by 2 more for 2 others within 10 minutes.My little 10lb butt had the jackpot till the last butt beat me by about 2 lbs.So maybe 10 fish or so for the day.Had a great relaxing day got sunburned,Ate all the food I brought plus a steak sandwich from the galley(Cal Dawn Has a Cook),caught a nice halibut met some nice people and experienced a great Captain James and his Deckhand Darrin (really enjoyed them).Vary calm no wind to speak of today!!
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/samcperez/Cal%20Dawn%204-18-2010/CalDawn4-18-2010019.jpg?t=1271645140
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af270/samcperez/Cal%20Dawn%204-18-2010/CalDawn4-18-2010010.jpg?t=1271645233

How come you didn't take your boat out?

MoMoney
04-18-2010, 07:47 PM
It doesnt have seats,they are still at the upholstry shop!!

fishing925
04-18-2010, 08:04 PM
:wow_2: looks like the boat was full of people. Sorry to here about the tangle with the others. That's why I hate to fish during the weekends it just gets a little to crazy for me. Glad to hear you got into some fish though and sorry about the jackpot that would of made the day a whole lot better.:areportmq5:

4 Reels
04-19-2010, 09:32 AM
It doesnt have seats,they are still at the upholstry shop!!

You don't really need seats, use the ice chests! :cheesy:

MoMoney
04-19-2010, 05:48 PM
You don't really need seats, use the ice chests! :cheesy:
Well I could of taken it out the way I got it(the last owner did)My last boat was so nice and setup exactly how i wanted it so I am trying to do the best I can with this one ,with the money i have to spend (not much).

nayr
04-19-2010, 07:35 PM
Nice. That first one of the year is always fun.

Polebrother
04-20-2010, 08:35 AM
Great report and pics MoMoney...thanks and congrats! I noticed a sling-blade dodger on one of the rods in the second pic. I've never used a sling blade trolling for hali's because I've been thinking they swing and pitch too much for butts to chase. Now you've got me wondering if all or most of the California Dawn's rods were rigged with the sling blade or with more traditional dodgers. What say ye? Would be happy to hear from others who have trolled for flatties with the sling blade. Any particular colors, etc? Just might have to pick me up a couple...cha-ching!

MoMoney
04-20-2010, 09:24 AM
Great report and pics MoMoney...thanks and congrats! I noticed a sling-blade dodger on one of the rods in the second pic. I've never used a sling blade trolling for hali's because I've been thinking they swing and pitch too much for butts to chase. Now you've got me wondering if all or most of the California Dawn's rods were rigged with the sling blade or with more traditional dodgers. What say ye? Would be happy to hear from others who have trolled for flatties with the sling blade. Any particular colors, etc? Just might have to pick me up a couple...cha-ching!
I think about 1/3 of the boat was using sling blades and most had Dees Diamond flashers.I would think a more traditional dodger moves back and forth a lot more creating more tangles.Simplicity and not creating tangles surely has something to do with the way they choose tackle as much or more as fish catching capability IMO.FYI I caught mine on a glowing charteuse sling blade.When you got 22 chovies and some kinda flasher/dodger combos goin on somebody is bound to hookup.When you fish a six pack boat Im sure the capitans are more critical bout leader length,color,bait presentation,flashers,dodgers etc.Party boats need to get all them lines goin and fishing without to much of a mess and their biggest concern is probably being in the right area.Guys on the bow were using 20oz sinkers to about 6 in the stern.All the rental poles had braid also,and I always hear how PB dont like braid.James likes it.I dont know what to make of any of it, to be honest with you

Polebrother
04-20-2010, 09:53 AM
Thanks MoMoney, really appreciate your great in depth reply. Good point about all the flash/chovies under a party boat increasing odds of getting bit. I use braid exclusively and have noticed no discernible difference in hook-ups compared to my fellow butt trollers, brother and nephew, who use mono all the time. That said, the next time out I'm going to surprise them by slipping on a sling blade which hopefully will give me an edge as it is my turn to talk a little smack versus being the recent and last recipient of same. Thanks again for sharing!