PDA

View Full Version : Help choosing gps/fishfinder

Angry Sturgeon
04-20-2010, 09:01 AM
Thinking hard about the lowrance HDS 7, I have read some post about gps problems with those and some updates for the unit that never come, I have never owned a fishfinder or gps, I like fishing upper sac down to sf bay, anyone have any input, I have a 84 bayliner trophy hard top, will I need an external antenna? Any comments are appreciated.

ReelJerks
04-20-2010, 02:35 PM
You will like an HDS unit. Hardest part is learning the menu structure. Don't pay too much attention to the 3-D hype because when you zoom in closer than .5 mile it switches to 2-D. I don't think a 'fiberglass' top will give you any GPS problems, but you will be even happier if you upgrade to the external module which is the LGC-4000. Much better I understand. Software upgrades are not a problem because you can do them yourself. If you have a computer. If you don't have a computer and you don't trust the US Mail, you can always take the unit into an authorized dealer for the upgrades.

I recommend the HDS line of sonar/gps units.

Ken Sauret
04-21-2010, 06:47 PM
All HDS units come with an internal antenna equivilent to the old LGC 3000. The new LGC 4000 external antenna is new technology that will recieve a signal through fiberglass and metal far better than the internal antenna. The new LGC 4000 GPS antenna can be mounted right next to the head unit with no problems unlike the older LGC 3000 which had to be mounted at least three feet away from the head unit.

If you do decide to purchase an HDS unit get one with Nautic Insight mapping pre loaded into the unit. You said in your post that you fished "I like fishing upper sac down to sf bay," and the Nautic Insight mapping will have detailed contour lines, points of interest, bouys and tides. I fish bass tournaments on the Delta and as you know the tides make alot of difference on the river. There are blue and white boxes with a "T" in it and when you go over the box with your cursor and press enter you will get both high tides and both low tides with heights and times at various locations on the river. You can go to the next days tides or next weeks tides on the screen. This is very helpful information on the water.

The updates for your Lowrance units are always free and can be downloaded from a home computer to an SD card, then from the SD card to your unit. This way you are not without your unit for any length of time since it doesn't have to be taken off the boat to update the software.

Angry Sturgeon
04-21-2010, 07:29 PM
Thats good info, thank you Ken.