PDA

View Full Version : Cal Kellogg....I'm callin' ya on this one

ReelJerks
04-22-2010, 12:31 PM
OK Cal....Just got finished with your 'Tactical Tips For The Trouter' piece, in which you boldly state; "Yet one thing is certain. I've never encountered a situation where using scent decreased the number of Trout being caught."

I ask you Sir, how can you be sure you couldn't have caught an equal number of Trout at a faster rate without the scent on those days? Do you have an answer? Or, are you not the Trout God I idolize you as?

:worthy:

Edd

:areportmq5: BTW

FISHERWALLY
04-22-2010, 02:56 PM
Well Mr Edd its like this after keeping a extensive log for the last 2000 outings we have gone out on one side of the boat with no scent and the other with scent and the ratio has been calculated at 3 to 1 in favor of the scented side. Thats my story and I am sticking to it. So there you go Edd another answer to very valid question. Remember stay tuned for some more questions same time same channel.

fw

ReelJerks
04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I haven't heard from Cal. I think he is retesting his science. :1sheep03h7ot:

Edd

ReelJerks
04-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Well Mr Edd its like this after keeping a extensive log for the last 2000 outings .........
fw

Heck John, that's less than 2 months fishing for you.

Edd

FISHERWALLY
04-22-2010, 03:49 PM
I know Edd but i couldent count any higher, did you back out on the lake from the dead batterey issue. I dident hear you out there on sunday when I went. Are you going to do the Pedro or are you going to the flats.

jw

hotdog
04-22-2010, 04:06 PM
You should have picked a better fight than this one. Like many other fishermen, I put out different offerings and track which one is working best at that moment. Scents work, period.

appleinorange
04-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Ed I thought for a moment you were going to get yourself in trouble again.:wileecoyote1: Most of the time I am to lazy to put sent on. And I catch plenty of fish.

ReelJerks
04-22-2010, 06:55 PM
You should have picked a better fight than this one. Like many other fishermen, I put out different offerings and track which one is working best at that moment. Scents work, period.

It was a JOKE you hotdog.

Edd

Captain Compassion
04-23-2010, 05:56 AM
Hypothesis: All things being equal scented offerings catch more fish than unscented ones.

All things are never equal. There is no real way to test the hypothesis so what ever floats your boat. I chose not to enrich Pro-Cure and them.

CC

ReelJerks
04-23-2010, 07:28 AM
I guess I better give up my aspirations to be a comic.

ReelJerks
04-23-2010, 07:39 AM
Ed I thought for a moment you were going to get yourself in trouble again.:wileecoyote1: Most of the time I am to lazy to put sent on. And I catch plenty of fish.

I often get myself in that position Rick. I'm starting to re-paint the picture of my misguided youth. Pretty sure I don't want to go there again. Too old, too frail and too smart to do it all over again.:badidea3qk:

Edd

Reel_burner
04-23-2010, 11:45 AM
The theory of one side of the boat with scent and none on the other without sounds good on the surface but I don't know how many times I've used exactly the same thing on both sides of my boat and still caught more on one side (sometimes five to one). I'm not for or against using scent but the facts remain that, most of the time, luck is at least as big a factor as anything else.

ReelJerks
04-23-2010, 12:04 PM
I'll just betcha I'm gonna get it for this thread.

Edd

FISHERWALLY
04-23-2010, 01:04 PM
I'll just betcha I'm gonna get it for this thread.

Edd Well you did start it, Edd.

fw:cheesy:

fishing brian
04-23-2010, 07:57 PM
I'm going to have to agree with CC.

There have admittedly been a few days on my boat where the guy using scent catches more fish.

I am a very reserved scent user and catch alot of fish without it. I don't really want to support a company that sells over priced stinky stuff.... But I do have like 20 bottles of it on the boat. :lipsrsealed:

brillfish
04-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I've caught fish with scent and without. My experience is to just put one out with and one without. But this can lead you in the wrong direction. That is why I like to fish with a buddy who also has a two rod stamp. So that way you have two rods out with the same bait. One with scent and the other with out. Fish are complex creatures, and just like women, the little things go a long way! Location and presentation equal success! ATTENTION TO DETAIL!

ReelJerks
04-24-2010, 01:21 PM
.....So that way you have two rods out with the same bait. One with scent and the other with out....

I started this thread to tease Cal a little, but, with the direction it's taken it is easy to see it's a HOT topic. Guess I better post some serious thoughts on the subject.

Unless I have a hot tip on what is catching monster Kings, Trout or Kokes, I never duplicate baits. 2, 4, or 8 rods, not one duplicate bait. I may start out with one side of the boat using scent and the other clean. If I'm not getting strikes on unscented baits, then I'll scent everything. I'm kinda like Cal in that I have never run into a fishing situation where the clean side of the boat was catching and the scented side was not.
Another thing I like to do is use only 1 or 2 scents. I can't imagine what it would smell like using 6 rods each with a different scent :signs165xk:

:baghead: