PDA

View Full Version : General Trout Set Up ?

kickinbass
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM
I wanted to get your opinions on some trout stuff. I am heading out to Del Valle for hte first time tomorrow as well. Plan on renting a boat Saturday but I have heard that the bank fishing is just as good and if you get a boat you end up pulling up on shore and casting bait anyway. Any tips out there for fishing and camping this lake.

Questions:
1) Is more better when it comes to bating up the hook with power bait?
2) Does color really matter on powerbait?
3) Does power eggs or nightcrawlers outfish powerbait?
4) Do you believe in the liquid scents they sell?
5) Treble hooks vs. single hooks?
6) If you are fishing 6lb test, are you rigging up a leader? And how long should your leader be from your weights which allows the powerbait to float up off the bottom.

Del Valle this weekend, then the East Fork Carson the weekend after the opener. Fish on.

FishItswuts4dinner
04-23-2010, 12:40 AM
For very clear trout waters, use 4lb or less flourocarbon leaders. I just use regular salmon egg hooks size 6-8. Power bait colors does seem to matter at times. More pb on a hook doesn't mean more hook ups. Best thing is to have nightcrawlers, pb, crickets available that way you can try out to see what's working. You might want to throw in a few kastmasters/roostertails in the mix. Just remember trout is smart, they'll inspect the bait to see if they see a line attached to it, with light flourcarbon it'll help alot in concealing the line.

Jetspray
04-23-2010, 04:37 AM
Scented PB is best in Gulp. Gulp does not stick well so I under coat the hook with PB then add over Gulp. For DV chartruese colors work best. The Gulp eggs float your worm well but I would add inflation of the worm. Remember whatever you are trying to float put it in the water in front of you and make sure it does so. Sliding sinker setup is the best there too. BTW if you are gonna troll make sure you try a 1/4 oz gold kastmaster for a bit and see if it works, they like shinny stuff too......Jetspray

JefffromLivermore
04-23-2010, 05:19 AM
I wanted to get your opinions on some trout stuff. I am heading out to Del Valle for hte first time tomorrow as well. Plan on renting a boat Saturday but I have heard that the bank fishing is just as good and if you get a boat you end up pulling up on shore and casting bait anyway. Any tips out there for fishing and camping this lake.

Questions:
1) Is more better when it comes to bating up the hook with power bait?
2) Does color really matter on powerbait?
3) Does power eggs or nightcrawlers outfish powerbait?
4) Do you believe in the liquid scents they sell?
5) Treble hooks vs. single hooks?
6) If you are fishing 6lb test, are you rigging up a leader? And how long should your leader be from your weights which allows the powerbait to float up off the bottom.

Del Valle this weekend, then the East Fork Carson the weekend after the opener. Fish on.

Renting a boat gives you way more options IMHO.
1) No, more is not better, I say no more than 3-4 nugs on a #6 hook.
2) Yes color matters, White and chartruese green and also the yellow rainbow colors are working for me now.
3) I put a little nightcrawler on with power bait when I can.
4) Stink it up and cover the human scent.
5) Single if catch and release.
6)18-24" off the bottom on a sliding egg sinker setup.

Lunkerslaughter
04-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Make sure u pump up the worms with air

Brutus20
04-23-2010, 03:45 PM
1) No
2)Yes
3)No,Yes,Maybe *
4)Yes
5)If you want to release ANY fish ,don't use treble hooks
6) Yes, 24-40 in. I like 2lb leader line
* Mostly mix it up and go with whatever might be working that day.
Good Luck ...............................Brutus............. ...........