PDA

View Full Version : Chabot Trolling Depth

Hookin_Up
04-23-2010, 05:13 PM
Was wondering if anyone has fished Chabot lately, and if so, what depths are they holding at? I am going out on Sunday. Was out there in early March and caught a few at the surface to 10ft. Thanks!

brillfish
04-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Was wondering if anyone has fished Chabot lately, and if so, what depths are they holding at? I am going out on Sunday. Was out there in early March and caught a few at the surface to 10ft. Thanks!
A friend of mine was fishing at the burner yesterday and caught 4 between 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. He said he was casting out about 20 ft. Prior experience fishing at the "Burner" has me guessing that he was down about 15 ft. give or take. He told me that the leader he was using was about 24" long. A little longer than usual. I have had good luck with firetiger borken back rapalas and cast masters. But then again, who hasn't. The water is still a little murky. I suggest fishing around half moon bay, or saving a few bucks, not renting a boat and fish either Racoon Point or The "Burner". They (Racoon point & The "Burner") are two totally different spots as far as underwater structure and wind are concerned. But, both spots produce most of the time. GOOD LUCK!!!!

brillfish
04-23-2010, 07:59 PM
A friend of mine was fishing at the burner yesterday and caught 4 between 7 a.m. and 1 p.m. He said he was casting out about 20 ft. Prior experience fishing at the "Burner" has me guessing that he was down about 15 ft. give or take. He told me that the leader he was using was about 24" long. A little longer than usual. I have had good luck with firetiger borken back rapalas and cast masters. But then again, who hasn't. The water is still a little murky. I suggest fishing around half moon bay, or saving a few bucks, not renting a boat and fish either Racoon Point or The "Burner". They (Racoon point & The "Burner") are two totally different spots as far as underwater structure and wind are concerned. But, both spots produce most of the time. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Oh yeah, I almost forgot....get out there early! Personally, I have never really caught any fish there in the afternoon. All my luck has almost always been before noon, and after 4 p.m.

tbruski
04-24-2010, 07:03 AM
The depth @ Racoon Pt. if you are trolling out of the reach of the bank fishermen is about 10-12 ft. The fish are usually about 2 ft off the bottom. So you will want to be down 9-10 ft. We troll with Sep's dodgers and nightcrawlers, no weight. Trolling @ 1.5mph will get you down to about the desired depth.
Bruski

Hookin_Up
04-24-2010, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the replies. I haven't had any action using dodgers at Chabot, but maybe I'll give them another shot tomorrow. What colors work best there?

tbruski
04-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Watermelon and Rainbow both have been very effective for us . 12-14 in leader #1 lightwire Gamakatsu worm hooks with large threaded nightcrawlers.
Bruski

Hookin_Up
04-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Went out 0830-1300 today. Landed one 4 pounder, with a couple other hits. Didn't bring any crawlers, but did try using dodgers, with no luck...however, we didn't try them at racoon pt. I have no idea how to determine trolling speed. All in all, it was a great day on the water, and the weather was fantastic!