PDA

View Full Version : Del Valle 4/23

michaelnel
04-23-2010, 07:00 PM
I row-trolled from my 'toon for about six hours today without a bump. That's a lot of work for a 60 year old guy.

The fish I spotted with my finder were all very deep (like 40' plus), and I can't reach them with my setup (fly rod with leadcore). The water was pretty warm too, 64-66 degrees at the surface, and that is probably why the trout are deep.

It was a pretty day, I was wearing waders and a T-shirt all day, but.... I don't think I will return... too much work for too few fish (two trips, maybe 12 hours of rowing, 1 fish). I do a lot better at higher elevation reservoirs and lakes, I will leave Del Valle for the bait and hardware folks. Those methods seem to work well at DV, fly methods don't... at least not for me.

jvle95
04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Don't feel bad. I was there on Thursday and couldn't get anything to bite on the troll. The guys on the bank near the swim beach were killin them with powerbait very near the shore.

dinos marine
04-23-2010, 10:06 PM
yeah i fished all day sunday for nada. got one bump in the morning that was it. name it and i trolled it, fished from the top down to 30 feet.
dk

JefffromLivermore
04-24-2010, 02:51 AM
I was on the water yesterday in a rental boat and did pretty good. The deluxe boats have a steering wheel so it's a lot easier to troll solo with one of them.
The trolling was a little slow as my portable fish finder won't boot and I was trolling blind but I did manage a two bass trolling in front of the tules across from the marina and then a limit of trout bait fishing near the west beach near tules in the dam cove.
There is a big camping/music thing going on so you might get a free concert if you go up Sunday.

Trolling I was running a deep diver at about 8'-10' and toplining a gold kastmaster
Bait fishing works with power bait combos of white and green and yellow rainbow.

Mike said 3500lbs of trout went in this week.

michaelnel
04-24-2010, 03:34 AM
Mike said 3500lbs of trout went in this week.

Well, I did my best to make sure they're all still there for you guys. :bananachaga:

michaelnel
04-24-2010, 07:50 AM
I did manage a two bass trolling in front of the tules across from the marina and then a limit of trout bait fishing near the west beach near tules in the dam cove. [/FONT]

I was trolling the shore line and back and forth across the narrows. I guess I should have headed down toward the dam end. Oh well, thanks for the report.

JefffromLivermore
04-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I saw you out there rowing, in the red toon or the green one? At any rate I was grousing about the wind and I was in a boat. It seemed like the wind shifted in from north to south so it was in my face on the way to the dam and back to the marina making trolling really difficult.

michaelnel
04-24-2010, 01:49 PM
I saw you out there rowing, in the red toon or the green one?

I was in the red Scadden Outlaw Rampage. It's a pretty cool boat.

At any rate I was grousing about the wind and I was in a boat. It seemed like the wind shifted in from north to south so it was in my face on the way to the dam and back to the marina making trolling really difficult.

I agree, the wind is a PITA when you are trolling, especially rowing. And what's up with those jerks driving those big TOUR BOAT pontoon boats up and down the lake with no passengers, making HUGE wakes? My boat is really stable, but still, those wakes are unnecessary and unpleasant.

JefffromLivermore
04-24-2010, 03:08 PM
I was in the red Scadden Outlaw Rampage. It's a pretty cool boat.

I agree, the wind is a PITA when you are trolling, especially rowing. And what's up with those jerks driving those big TOUR BOAT pontoon boats up and down the lake with no passengers, making HUGE wakes? My boat is really stable, but still, those wakes are unnecessary and unpleasant.

I'd like to have one of those. I saw a guy with pedal powered versions and one of my fishing friends has one that he rows around but he hates it when the usual DV gale winds blow and he has to row into the wind.
I think they let anyone rent those bigger boats too. One family came zooming right up behind me with my lines out and I had to tell them to please back off 50 feet as I was fishing.
Did you notice on how few boats were out on the lake and how empty the parking lot was? Considering the 2 Day Town camping folks I'd have expected everyone renting boats.

michaelnel
04-24-2010, 06:47 PM
I'd like to have one of those. I saw a guy with pedal powered versions and one of my fishing friends has one that he rows around but he hates it when the usual DV gale winds blow and he has to row into the wind.

There's no pedal powered version of that boat. Take a look at this video of the boat in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enfhMloA70o

dilbeck
04-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Sorry to hear about your tough day. DV can sure be frustrating some days, that is for sure.

The fish I spotted with my finder were all very deep (like 40' plus), and I can't reach them with my setup (fly rod with leadcore). The water was pretty warm too, 64-66 degrees at the surface, and that is probably why the trout are deep.

I'd venture to say that the deep fish were not trout but something else.

I saw a guy with pedal powered versions

Might it have been a Hobie Kayak with the Mirage Drive System that looks like this? (http://www.hobiecat.com/fishing/models_outbackfisherman.html)

Michael