PDA

View Full Version : am I really missing this many fish

joez3
04-24-2010, 06:46 PM
I got my 1st fish finder this year, a hummingbird 385ci, I am not sure I have it setup right. I have been out 3 times with this unit and its marking fish but I am not catching anything. Several times it shows fish down at 15 feet, I dropped my downrigger to 10 feet and pass over the area several times with no luck. BTW the unit showed the downrigger weight at 10 feet, but I dropped it below 15 feet it wouldn't show up. Today was even odder, several times is showed fish at 2-3 feet down. I would think that if the fish were up that high they would swim away from the boat, and wouldn't show up. Could this be setup wrong? Or am I just that bad of a fisherman?
Joe

ReelJerks
04-25-2010, 12:57 PM
I got my 1st fish finder this year, a hummingbird 385ci, I am not sure I have it setup right. I have been out 3 times with this unit and its marking fish but I am not catching anything. Several times it shows fish down at 15 feet, I dropped my downrigger to 10 feet and pass over the area several times with no luck. BTW the unit showed the downrigger weight at 10 feet, but I dropped it below 15 feet it wouldn't show up. Today was even odder, several times is showed fish at 2-3 feet down. I would think that if the fish were up that high they would swim away from the boat, and wouldn't show up. Could this be setup wrong? Or am I just that bad of a fisherman?
Joe

Whoa......ease up on yourself, as you said, this is your fish-finder and it will take time to understand things.
The stuff at 3 feet is most likely 'noise' (air bubbles). It's hard to tell what's going on, 1-because I can't see the installation, and 2-because I'm not a HB guy. I think the person on this board who could help you most is DOC. He IS the HB guy.
I would suggest you play with the sensitivity or gain settings, but let's hope for DOC :whatsup3nt:

Edd

Fishbucket
04-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Check your transducer angle. it may be tiled to far down ( even with the boats bottom is good while on plane, but it may be pointing to far forward while the boat is just sitting in the water trolling.)
With the blow back on the DR ball it may be out of the sonar cone.
I usually catch more fish that I dont see, then the one's that I do.
It's going to take some time to figure out that most finders think that anything in the water is a fish.

Dennis
04-26-2010, 03:00 PM
If you have the HB equivalent of 'Fish ID' turn it OFF
You want to get use to seeing the arches and not the little fish pics.
If it's not an arch it's most likely debris or like someone said air bubbles.

If you can snap a picture of what your seeing and post it up, we can probably help more if we can see what your seeing.

ReelJerks
04-26-2010, 03:45 PM
.....or like someone said air bubbles. .

Glad to see I've been upgraded to a 'someone'. :kap1yd:

Dennis
04-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Glad to see I've been upgraded to a 'someone'. :kap1yd:
That is an upgrade from a Skallywag isn't it?
Maybe someday you'll be a somebody! LOL

I was tired and didn't take the time to look who said it. :baghead:

ReelJerks
04-27-2010, 07:16 AM
That is an upgrade from a Skallywag isn't it?
Maybe someday you'll be a somebody! LOL

I was tired and didn't take the time to look who said it. :baghead:

Does a 'somebody' get mo money? If not, I should remain a 'whats-his-face' or a 'someone'.
It's all about the bucks.

Sturgeon_Wacker
05-18-2010, 10:11 AM
If you have the HB equivalent of 'Fish ID' turn it OFF

if i turn mine off it wont do anything all day long. i dont think mine does the arches. i have the hummingbird 565.