PDA

View Full Version : Any McSwain reports? Good or bad.

JPFX
04-25-2010, 07:25 PM
2 weekends ago, my buddy and I trolled McClure all day and afternoon. Long story short, it was our worst trip there ever. Anyway, this weekend I am giving my wife a weekend off and I'm taking the kids, rv and boat up to McSwain for a weekend of camping and fishing. Does anyone have any recent fishing reports for either McSwain or McClure? I'll have 2 kids (6&4) along with me so I'd like to get into at least 'A fish'!
Thanks anyone!

JJax
04-27-2010, 08:55 AM
I was out at McSwain for the Trout Derby on 17-18 April.

My group (4 adults & 3 kids) pulled in a total of 6 fish over the day and a half. All but one was on chartreuse powerbait and the last on rainbow powerbait. They were all caught from the bank by the D-Loop of the camp ground.

Look at the Modesto Bee fishing report of 4/21. It said there has been a plant since the derby and that (as usual) the best bank spots are by the handicap dock or down by the brush pile.

Let us know how it goes. Maybe your kids are different from mine, but alone with a 4 and 6 year old, I hope you’re going for the experience and not so much as pulling in a lot of trout.

Jax

smithstation
04-27-2010, 12:14 PM
2 weeks ago today I caught a limit trolling. THey averaged about 17 inches. Largest fish was 2.13. My best day ever trolling, usually we get the 12-15 in. planters. Used a wedding ring with 1/8 oz slider and tipped with baby night crawler. Had a lot of LDR's and drive by's.

If you go to McCluer get a dozen med or large minnows and the kids will stay busy with the bass action.

JPFX
04-27-2010, 06:48 PM
Thanks guys and I will be trolling. I know the bank fishing is better there but the kids have no patience sitting around waiting for a fish to bite. It works out perfect because my little boat only uses an electric trolling motor, so I am only on the water no more than 2-3 hours, and by then the kids are ready to call it quits. I will be sure to post Sunday night.

MARK_BREWER
04-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Fished there last thursday with a friend for limits in about 1/2 hour, gold kastmaster was the best, fished there monday till 1:00 with two others for nine fish total, drove to mcclure, fished till 5:00 for salmon and trout for nothing. mcswain fish on monday all came on small dodger nightcrawler combo.

JPFX
04-28-2010, 11:34 AM
Mark - Thanks for the pointers. I don't ever remember hearing anyone limiting out at McSwain from boat. I will try out the dodger/crawler combo.
Thanks!