PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

Ninja Fisherman
04-30-2010, 05:36 PM
I am introducing 2 new Sturgeon fisherman to the sport this upcoming sunday. This will be my first trip this year so I have no idea what the action is like out there. I was thinking about taking my boat out by the mothball fleet. Can anyone point me in the right direction so we can increase our odds of hooking into one of those ugly mugs? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Fishbucket
04-30-2010, 05:43 PM
First, be prepared to watch the noobs hook and land all the fish. be prepared to watch one of the noobs hook the biggest fish. be prepared to get hurt by one of the noobs....

I dont know the mothball fleet for spots... let one of the noobs decide...

and last... use a ghostshrimp with a night crawler chaser.... the noobs will thank you for it..

IRISHANGLER01
04-30-2010, 06:11 PM
been marking fish in cache slough but have been having trouble with them biting. going to try that area myself again this weekend. I would also use the ghost.

Ninja Fisherman
05-01-2010, 03:48 PM
First, be prepared to watch the noobs hook and land all the fish. be prepared to watch one of the noobs hook the biggest fish.

This is a given.

been marking fish in cache slough but have been having trouble with them biting

Haven't ever been to Cache Slough. Doubt its a good idea to go try a new spot with 2 noobies in the boat.

I passed over the benicia bridge twice today, on my way and back from work, and saw lots of boats anchored around the fleet. Anyone get any action?

Ninja Fisherman
05-03-2010, 04:58 PM
Took the boat out to the Fleet with 3 noobies rather than 2.
be prepared to get hurt by one of the noobs....

Thank god that didn't happen!!!

We marked fish right outside the Martinez marina and decided to drop anchor for a few hours but couldn't get a bite. A boat 500 yards away did hook into an oversized one.

The noobs got impatient and we decided to change spots, plus I wanted to show them the fleet up-close.
After our scenic detour we began marking some really big fish gathered around a hole. We dropped anchor and threw our lines out. After about an hour of fishing I got an ever so subtle bite. Hook-sets are free so I decided to rip back on my rod. It felt like someone had thrown my hooks on a passing semi as the sturgeon began to rip mono off my spool even with my drag a bit on the tight side. After pulling about 30ft of line the line went slack.....

!!!!!-@#%&*$-!!!!

We fished the rest of the day and pulled up 2 shaker sturgeon and listened to the sound of splashing as sturgeon jumped all around us. Finally ran out of bait and had to go back in.

All in all a good first trip.

Btw

use a ghostshrimp with a night crawler chaser

I would also use the ghost.

I soaked the ghost all day and didn't get one nibble, not even the tiny strippers were touching it!

Do the sturgeon near the fleet like the ghost less than the ones in the Rio Vista area or something or were my shrimp actually haunted...