PDA

View Full Version : Hennessey fished-out....

HomerDodd
05-02-2010, 11:44 AM
I've heard that Lake Hennessey (near Napa) wasn't producing much trout action. It has not been stocked by DFG since November 2008, thanks to the environmental idiots. Had to check it out myself. Launched from the dock about 8:00, went to the dam and the west wall, and again back to the east inlet. Very, very few fish on the fish-finder, maybe 10 or 12 in water about 25' throughout my whole pattern. Trolled each way, with NeedleFish, Kastmaters, Super Dupers....not even one hit. I think the lake is very fished out. There may some big holdovers in other areas, maybe the north leg,since I did not go there. If anyone knows any different, let me know.

Harok375
05-03-2010, 08:51 AM
I've heard that Lake Hennessey (near Napa) wasn't producing much trout action. It has not been stocked by DFG since November 2008, thanks to the environmental idiots. Had to check it out myself. Launched from the dock about 8:00, went to the dam and the west wall, and again back to the east inlet. Very, very few fish on the fish-finder, maybe 10 or 12 in water about 25' throughout my whole pattern. Trolled each way, with NeedleFish, Kastmaters, Super Dupers....not even one hit. I think the lake is very fished out. There may some big holdovers in other areas, maybe the north leg,since I did not go there. If anyone knows any different, let me know.

Well that's disappointing.

Haven't been out for over a year due to back surgery, and it was always one of my favorite spots when I just wanted to get "out", avoid the crowds, and just maybe catch a fish or 2.

I had plans to go soon. I'll see what happens, though it was always tough fishing there, and I've always used what you're using - Sling Blade in just about any color in front of a #2 cop car or shad pattern Needlefish always seemed to work. Although I've had good results there with copper Needlefish too.

This time of year though, the north end between the spillway and the rec area, especially if you keep to the west, always seemed ok. Picked up some nice fish there for such a small lake.

And Berryessa is a poor match for a 14' aluminum with a 15 Hp outboard, especially when it's windy. Plus, since all the trout are "wormed up", kokes and kings are a better target, but hand cranking a DR to 80' kinda blows the deal for me, LOL...