PDA

View Full Version : McSwain 4-30

JPFX
05-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I guess everyone that fishes McSwain has an agreement to keep the good news quiet and not tell anyone! I'll keep this simple...If you have a boat, get to McSwain! EASY LIMITS for trollers, trolling the usual stuff...Wedding Rings and flashers or dodgers with crawlers. Nice size to these fish too. The fish cleaning station was always busy.

shadbuster
05-02-2010, 12:25 PM
With the amount of trout that are pumped into that lake, I think pretty much everyone knows that you have a good chance of easy limits at McSwain every time you go, so nobody bothers to report it anymore. The only problem is it can get really crowded sometimes.

JPFX
05-03-2010, 02:35 PM
WOW, I've never heard of that lake being a lake of consistant and easy limits. Hmmm. I guess when Camanche, Pardee, Del Valle etc are running easy limits, no one should post.

conrad89
05-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the report dude. I might try McSwain again in about 2 wks. Tried it last year in the dead of summer and didnt fair so well... What about weekdays is it still busy

shadbuster
05-03-2010, 05:06 PM
WOW, I've never heard of that lake being a lake of consistant and easy limits. Hmmm. I guess when Camanche, Pardee, Del Valle etc are running easy limits, no one should post.

Wasn't saying you shouldn't post reports on McSwain (if you look back I used to post on McSwain frequently), actually I appreciate hearing reports on McSwain since I used to frequent that lake, I was just saying that maybe that is why nobody bothers reporting on it. And McSwain is pimped as one of the best trout fishing lakes in CA, numbers wise at least. I used to go there every Saturday and only didn't get limits about 3 or 4 times in a year and the fish station was always crowed. It gets planted every Friday by Calaveras fish farm (fish for water deal with the Merced Irrigation District), with some bonus pigs tossed in to mix and gets double plants about once a month when the DFG plants there, at least that was the case when I used to fish it a few years back, it also has a small population of wild Merced river bows . Nice lake to just take the family, sit back and relax.

JPFX
05-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Shadbuster - I had no clue McSwain was one of CA's top lakes. Maybe it's because I haven't followed McSwain or McClure until last year. I was always under the impression that McClure was the better trout lake. Either way, I'll save myself 7 miles and keep hitting McSwain......no sense in going to McClure

Whacked
05-03-2010, 07:40 PM
Is there a gate fee?

have a need to try new waters

CrappieJed
05-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Its all about the hamburgers at lake McSwain marina oh ya......

any of you guys that fish McSwain ever catch Crappie?

shadbuster
05-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Is there a gate fee?

have a need to try new waters I believe the gate fee is 6 dollars for a day use pass.

any of you guys that fish McSwain ever catch Crappie? Never caught crappie but have caught a few bluegills, channel cats and spotted bass before.

I was always under the impression that McClure was the better trout lake. Either way, I'll save myself 7 miles and keep hitting McSwain......no sense in going to McClure

Never actually fished McClure before, because of that very reason, but I have heard McClure is a much better bass lake than McSwain.

FishItswuts4dinner
05-04-2010, 01:19 AM
I was thinking of trying out mcswain this summer for trout off the banks, But I've never been there so I don't really know where to start? Any pointers from the experienced Mcswainer's or Mccluresr's.

rbilly01
05-04-2010, 08:39 AM
I was thinking of trying out mcswain this summer for trout off the banks, But I've never been there so I don't really know where to start? Any pointers from the experienced Mcswainer's or Mccluresr's.

Well I used to fish Mcswain alot. If you are banking it try and stay away from the weekends it get crowded. Other than that its a simple lake to fish, green power eggs, night crawlers kastmaster's seem to do well for me. The hot spots are near the handicap dock or the brush pile which is up past the c loop campgrounds down a dirt road. Not sure if its the same now but when DFG planted they did so on tuesdays at the launch ramp, and when calavaras trout farm plants they do it on thursdays at the brushpile. Every once and awhile calavaras will drop a load of Brookies in there, usually I have done well up to a few weeks after a brookie plant near the dam using meal worms. But I have not heard of them putting brookies in for a few years. The marina has very few fishing supplies so stock up before you head out, but as was said earlier they do make a good burger. If it's slow on the lake you can always try the forebay below the dam most fish off of the hornitos bridge using power bait. I have done well there also.

fshfactor
05-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Greal little fishery. I spoke with the owner this past weekend and she informed me that she has been trying to sell the business and her home for the last year. After losing her husband 5 years ago, I think she just wants to live her life closer to family.

FishItswuts4dinner
05-05-2010, 12:14 AM
Thanks for the tip rbilly01:thumbsup:

shadbuster
05-05-2010, 01:11 PM
rbilly01 is right on, those are the hotspots at McSwain, except when I fished there (3 years ago) the Calaveras trout farm planted on Fridays and at the dock, they probably change the day and place around. Also the brushpile has some nasty snags on the bottom so when you are reeling in to re-bait make sure you do it fast to avoid them. You may also want to try the back end of the lake where it flows like a river, you have a better chance of hooking into holdover there and it the only place I've ever heard of browns coming out of.

Tigerfox
05-07-2010, 08:38 AM
I hit the lake yesterday, windy and cold. Not many people, but enought to know there were fish in there. I got to the lake at about 6am, sun was already up. I went to the right of the dock, my usual spot. A guy named Bill arrived a half hour later and went directly to the dock. 5 minutes later he got a nice 15 incher. That was the only fish i seen come out of the water. He told me that yeallow power bait with glitter was the best. I olny had green, so i was out of luck. He also told about a spot on the dam. If you walk out the dam, where the orange bouys start there's a little landing where if you use a bubble and a 4ft leader you'll get one every time.

I spent an hour with Bill, nice guy. He's big on picking up litter. So please try and pick up after yourself or he'll let you have it, trust me on that. I went back to brush pile to get out of the wind. I spent a few hours back there with only a few bites. I sat next to an older couple that didn't seem like they cared if they caught a fish or not. They even fell asleep for about an hour, i thought they were gonna fall out of their chairs at one point.

Overall it was a nice day at the lake, 4 bites no fish. But i did get to see a few bald eagles. I talked to the ranger on the way out, he said they are activly stocking the lake for the summer and i should have caught some fish. Gonna try again this weekend with the family. I'll let ya know when i get back.

FISHMAN101
05-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Its definately a good lake to fish but really can be hit or miss. Went this last saturday caught 4 in about 4-5 hours. When I went the weekend before fished all day for nada...

Tigerfox
05-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Its definately a good lake to fish but really can be hit or miss. Went this last saturday caught 4 in about 4-5 hours. When I went the weekend before fished all day for nada...

Were you boating or shoring? I was not boating. What were you using ,and where were you? If you don't mind releasing some info?

Tigerfox
05-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Family and i got to the lake at about 6 am. Fished off the dock to start. We got our first fish at about 7 am on yellow with glitter power bait. I let my daughter get the first one, she loved it. It was a bout 15 inches.
We got the second one about 8:15. This was a little smaller, and it hit on white gulp eggs.
It was very windy so we decided to hit brush pile for a while to get out of the wind. I got he next one at 10 am, it hit on 2 white eggs topped with a green and some trophy trout as a glaze. This one hit and ran so fast the drag was screaming. It was about 20 inches, a very nice fish.

Overall it was a great day, wife and daughter had a fun time, i got to catch fish, and it wasn't even fathers day. The lake is producing some good trout. I suggest yellow with glitter, or a combination of white gulp and another color. I seen a few people catch with white eggs. Planning ot hit it again after the rain goes by this week. Good luck all.