PDA

View Full Version : Kirman Lake

tttr83
05-03-2010, 08:12 AM
Has anyone fished at Kirman or the surrounding lakes (Roosevelt, Poore, Secret, Mud, Millie, Lane)?

Which ones have Lahontans and has anyone had much luck from the shore? I'm thinking about going up there in late May and was wondering if any of the smaller lakes would be better than Kirman. I heard it gets pretty high traffic nowadays. Thanks!

Wild_Bill
06-16-2010, 03:31 PM
Hi, wondering if you made it to Kerman or any of the other lakes. That area is my old stomping grounds since the mid fifties. I love that area.

flytier
06-21-2010, 08:26 AM
If you are in really good physical shape it is a very pretty place to go fish.

I've been up there twice now and I loved it both times. There is a long steep hike up to the lake and then back down again which along with the thin air (altitude) will stop it from becoming "over fished" IMO. It is surounded by dense weed beds so you really need to also carry up a float tube.

Take a camera and be careful to handle and release those gorgeous wild Brookies carefully. There are supposedly also some big ones in the lake but the ones that we caught were all pretty small.

It can also be quite difficult fishing at times I have heard although we caught 3 or 4 fish each on both our trips.

Please catch and release - places like that with pretty wild trout are becoming rarer and rarer.

flytier
06-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Some of the other lakes that you mention also have wild fish. I did hear that Poore Lake was often better than Kirman these days with fewer fishermen making the trip.

Unfortunately Kirman can get crowded with fly fishermen quite easily because it is so tiny - not much more than a high altitude marsh pond really.