PDA

View Full Version : Anyone catch any BUTTS near Berkeley or Benecia?

Malila
05-04-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm looking to catch my first butt and I've seen it done, I just haven't been one of the lucky ones. What do I need to look for when catchin them, and are there any tips that would help me out. I'm plannin on going out to the Berkeley Pier this weekend.

DaFishHunter
05-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Find live bait! :)

hansolo2009
05-05-2010, 04:12 PM
I'm looking to catch my first butt and I've seen it done, I just haven't been one of the lucky ones. What do I need to look for when catchin them, and are there any tips that would help me out. I'm plannin on going out to the Berkeley Pier this weekend.

http://www.coastsidefishingclub.com/Halibut-Fishing-101

nitty917
05-05-2010, 05:21 PM

hop on a charter! you wont regret it, youll learn a lot too.
berkely is your best bet, chances of catching one in benicia is slim to none.

GCinGV
05-08-2010, 06:22 AM
Except when trolling Halibut tend to take the bait in two gulps. If you get hit, drop your rod tip and give it three or four seconds before setting the hook. If you bring up half or a scratched bait, which is a sure sign of a Hali, you didnít wait long enough. On a boat with a fast drift Iíll actually disengage the reel for a few seconds, reengage then set. I missed a lot of fish before I learned to feed them line.
Often the bite looks like a Trout bite but it can also be extremely subtle at times as if you just picked up a small piece of seaweed. If in doubt drop and set.
They donít go much further up then the west end of San Pablo. The Central and South Bay is generally the best. Berkeley is as good a place as any to start. Another good shore fishing spot is the Alameda rock wall by the Navy base, next to Encinal High School. You can access the wall from the boat ramp area. You tend to get more small Sharks and Rays at the wall then you do at Berkeley though. The bait shop is about a mile or two east on Central Ave. If you canít get live bait dead works to.
If you do a charter IMO in the bay the Bass Tub is one of the better Hali boats.

Malila
05-10-2010, 05:36 PM
Awesome thanks yall. I went to Berkeley and saw a guy catch a Butt which means that there is hope for me! LOL, I did catch a baby ray. And in Oakland caught a 5ft Lep Shark that didn't fit in the net, ended up rolling itself in my line and getting hooks stuck in him =( poor guy, I'ma try again this weekend at Berkeley Pier, it was soo nice out when I went!