PDA

View Full Version : Could an iPad function as a fishfinder/GPS?

FUZZ
05-05-2010, 11:16 AM
There are already navigation apps for the iPhone. Now the 3G iPad will get them. Do you think it would be possible to add bluetooth capability to a typical fishfinder transducer and turn the Pad into a fishfinder too? Garmin and Lowrance wouldn't like that but, if you already had a 3G iPad, you'd have the cheapest big screen finder on the lake. The app to run this might be expensive but the transducer shouldn't be that much more expensive. I'm sure someone is already making an iPad boat mount to use it strictly as a GPS.

Just wondering.

Fuzz

bigeasy8240
05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Yep, and with a 15 inch VGA screen it is off DA hook! :banana: Plug and play mode with all of your diagnostics at ya fingers!

ReelJerks
05-06-2010, 07:33 AM
Yep, and with a 15 inch VGA screen it is off DA hook! :banana: Plug and play mode with all of your diagnostics at ya fingers!

? Can you elaborate?

Edd

BDR
05-06-2010, 12:32 PM
Hey Fuzz,

I think using the iPad is good conceptially, however their design isn't great for a marine use. The screens can be hard to read in direct sunlight and its my understanding that they aren't waterproof so they may not react well to a water environment.

ReelJerks
05-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Ya need a ToughBook. Built for outdoors use.

Canoefish
05-24-2010, 07:44 AM
It would certainly work if you could figure out hardware and software compatibility. Not sure if it would be worth it because you'll probably go through iPads a lot faster than most of us can afford to and the iPad isn't really suited to be an all-weather outdoors device.