PDA

View Full Version : San Pablo 5/1

dirty3hirties
05-06-2010, 06:16 AM
Late post but it's a goody.

I used to go to San Pablo a lot.....before the dam was fixed. Bait fishing was always hot for me. Went this past weekend and didn't know what to expect. Water was really stained.....couldn't launch the boat till 7:00 AM!!!! WTF. Figured we were past the prime time action. 7's really late.....sun was pretty bright already. Plus we were coming off a full moon and that cold front from earlier in the week.

Started at Sandy Point...nothing. Saw a boat catch a dink about 15 min after we dropped anchor. Stayed there for 1 1/2 hours....still nothing. The skunk was creeping up on us......

Then we moved a little towards Scow. Dropped anchor after we marked some fish. For the next 4 1/2 hours we caught 18....all about 1 1/2 to maybe just a hair under 2 lbs. All on worms.....NOTHING on powereggs/bait. I ended up with 7 of the 18 and it seemed that anise was the key. We would get hit pretty much within 5 min after casting....pretty close to shore too. If you didn't get hit, might as well reel back in and re-scent. The hottest time was around 10:00 AM or so. I had yet to catch a fish and then started scenting with Anise vigorously (I had tried other powerbait scents up to this point too.....so were my friends). Landed 4 fish within 20 min!!!!!

We steadily caught fish until about 1:30 PM....called it a day. Ended up being a great day. I guess the 30 pack of Coors light didn't hurt either!:cheers1:

fishingguysf
05-06-2010, 07:20 AM
Congrats on your catches and great report. San Pablo has not been the same. I remembered the days when we use to catch quite a bit of Whoppers there 5+ range. It sounds like you guys found a honey hole!!! I bank fish more than I boat, since it cost me quite a bit to rent. Would like to own one some day. The trout scent that I use is made by Smelly Jelly and it is a Craw/Anise scent. I have been using it for years now and have caught quite a bit of trouts with it.

Fishon!!!

GNappers
05-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Nice job landing so many fish. I heard the S.P. was under new ownership and was getting planted a lot less. From other reports, and going on opening day I don't think they are planting as many big fish either. That lake takes forever to clean-up.

ProAquatics
05-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Great report ,sounds like you slayed em.fish on!:star8qo:

B-RAN
05-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Love them 15+ fish days hahaha :grin:

Team Opus
05-06-2010, 09:54 PM
I grew up fishing San Pablo and about 5 yrs ago we would motor over to scow on the rental boats and park it on the shore. We used to just kill it, limits for everyone everytime we fished for maybe 3 mths straight with 5 pders being pretty common. My brother even caught what must have been a 25-30 pd carp on 8pd test, what a fight that was, I don't know how his line didnt snap. We thought he had the record until I saw a gold streak..

brillfish
05-07-2010, 07:04 PM
I have fished San Pablo for years. The last two years have really been different. This year especially. I blame this change on the high water level. There is next to NO shore access on both sides of the lake, and the places that used to be great places to fish, have drastically changed due to the higher water level. The last few weeks I have been limiting out, but all smaller fish and what I used to be able to take with in a few hours now takes all damn day.....However stay patient and we all will start figuring these fish out! GOOD LUCK FISH SNIFFERS!