PDA

View Full Version : Trolling flashers

ryan7981
05-06-2010, 10:02 AM
Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm going to Collins Lake this weekend and am Gonna troll for the first time...I have an idea of how to rig them but I am wondering how much weight to use this time of year and the best way to rig the weight. Also I am wondering if I should use lighter flash rigs or go with a larger style....Any help would be much appreciated....Thank You and tight lines

Lunkerslaughter
05-06-2010, 04:46 PM
I use a smaller flasher that's Crome blades. I usually start with a 1 oz weight to get it down but you don't nessesarily need the weight sometimes the fish are up top. I usually run a half crawler about 2 ft back with a treble hook. Make sure the flasher has a rudder ( most of them do) troll about 1.5 mph good luck

Jetspray
05-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Main thing is troll slow with them. Put your presentation in the water and watch the action (at the speed you are gonna troll), then let it out. Color makes a difference too, silver, gold, red, yellow makes different attractions at different depths. Take a few and change them out. You may also need to add weight to go deeper if you don't have downriggers.......Jetspray

ProAquatics
05-06-2010, 06:27 PM
Im a huge fan of the seps pro flashers.Plus its a great company to do bis. with.as lunker said you always have different circumstances when it comes to fish depths.i use a 1'-2' leader with a rapala or a spoon,i go but what my fish finder is saying to judge where the fish are and if im going to use weights or not.dont know anything about collins but good luck and if something isent working dont be afriad to switch it up.:plumber:

Matt

Jetspray
05-06-2010, 07:09 PM
Im a huge fan of the seps pro flashers.Plus its a great company to do bis. with.as lunker said you always have different circumstances when it comes to fish depths.i use a 1'-2' leader with a rapala or a spoon,i go but what my fish finder is saying to judge where the fish are and if im going to use weights or not.dont know anything about collins but good luck and if something isent working dont be afriad to switch it up.:plumber:

Matt

I agree "switch it up", I have quite a few different types in a roll bag that I carry along. If fishing by myself I switch them about every 20 mins if nothing is hitting and I am trolling the same area.......Jetspray

ryan79
05-06-2010, 09:25 PM
Thank You all for the help...Just one more thing...If I troll with 6-8 lb test with no weight and the smaller flasher set-up how deep will they go without weight or if I use half ounce to an ounce how deep will they travel then...trolling at 1 to 1.5 mph....

conrad89
05-07-2010, 10:54 AM
There are books with graphs that show these things... Eye ballin it I would say with no weight at all and just the flasher plus worm or whatever, plus a speed of 1 mph, plus 100 feet of line out (that is important btw) you are lookin at at least 10 ft, if they are Luhr Jensen Cowbells or Ford Fenders in the big kind. I think if you go on luhr jensen's website and look they might have some depth graphs for their products.

http://www.luhrjensen.com/tech-info/tech-reports go to #13 dodgers and flashers

The speed and amount of line out is IMPORTANT, trolling is a science. You need to have as many fixed variables as possible to predict your depth better.

That 1 oz weight with it I really have no idea... 20 ft total? I use inexpensive mini down riggers to guestimate the depth. Before that I used my gpas old leadcore poles

Jetspray
05-08-2010, 08:12 PM
Before I had downriggers I trolled them with divers of several types, just depends on how deep you want to go. I also trolled them with leadcore as well. It is up to you what you choose, just remember it makes it harder to reel up and the more stress on the line causes it to break.......Jetspray

Yosemite Sam
05-09-2010, 08:51 PM
If you don't have downriggers, about the only sure way to estimate the depth is by using leadcore line.
With leadcore the rule of thumb is about 5' of depth per color. Watch the tip of your rod and adjust the speed by watching the action of the rod tip. Too fast no action-too slow very little action, just right nice smooth rythem.

Want to go the old fashion cheap way on mono..........buy a "trout" sinker release (the small chrome one)attach it above the flashers, then attach an old spark plug with a paper clip to the sinker release, want to go deeper attach two spark plugs to the release, that will get you down to the big boys. then when you hook up, the release releases the plugs and it's just you and the fish.

Thats my .02 worth-YS

ryan79
05-10-2010, 12:48 PM
Ok the trolling trip went ok....We trolled Collins along the dam over along the east side and then up into the creek under the bridge. We had a hook up along the east side but threw the lure 10 ft. from the boat. Nothing for an hour until we got up by the bridge. Hooked six and landed three all together. Biggest just over 3 pounds. The little woman did well on the net. Trolled with SEP's pro Colorado blades in chrome with silver prism with 30" leader and a chrome color needlefish tipped with crawler. I used 3/4 oz. weight with 100 ft to 125ft. of line out. I have no idea how deep I was. Maybe someone could let me know their opinion. Anyways I learned a lot and now have the trolling bug. Thanks for all the help......

Jetspray
05-10-2010, 02:40 PM
Looks good to me nice looking fish. The more you use them the better you can get at it. Downriggers allow you to fish closer to the boat and turns are easier. Have some fun......Jetspray

Don
05-12-2010, 04:12 PM
If you go to Mark Wiza web page there is a ton of information "trolling with flashers"
He is part of the FishSniffer. Do some searching. You will find it or someone will give you the link. Good reading also.
Don