PDA

View Full Version : trout lures

Dinchek
05-07-2010, 04:29 PM
What is the best trout lure to use? I use kastmasters and rooster tails, but is their any others out their that will catch me fish? I heard of panther martins as well but never used them. Any tips will help, thanks in advance!

LuckyIrishFan
05-07-2010, 05:04 PM
Dinchek, when I use PM's I make sure I use the bright colored ones, and if the fish are not biting it then I switch to my black and silver colored PM. My favorite lure is my silver and gold Kastmaster with a white feather tail. Rapala's and broke back Rapala's are my favorite too. The key is to get bright colored lures that will attract the fish, but don't forget the dark ones too because a handful of times when I'm on a boat trolling at DV, I've had success with my black and silver PM. Good Luck and FISH ON:biggrin:!!!

panther
05-07-2010, 06:02 PM
I like Kastmasters, and some of the other lures that Acme Tackle produces. But in a stream, Panther Martins are better. They are also pretty darn good in a lake. Colors are a personal preference based on the success that you have had with them. I like the brook trout pattern and the rainbow trout pattern if those are the fish in the waters I am fishing. I also like the solid silver color, and the solid black color. All of these have produced lots of nice fish for me. Nothing wrong with Rooster Tails. But Panther Martins are a little shorter, a little heavier, and I like the in-line spinner blade feature.

Panther

FishItswuts4dinner
05-07-2010, 09:32 PM
I use KM's, roosters and panthers. I have all three with different colors/variations. Panthers and roosters works better in shallow streams/rivers i.e will give you less snags. km's sink wayy to fast imo.

Captain Compassion and Jetspray I believe would be the trout masters on this board. They'll chime in on more tips&stuff

Jetspray
05-08-2010, 05:53 AM
All the above work, try some grubs/tubes 2" or smaller like trout trap size. Reel slow enough to keep your lure off the bottom but not snag on the rocks and you'll be in business.......Jetspray

gbslade
05-08-2010, 06:14 AM
I am a fly fisherman, but my wife is a dedicated lure fisher. She swears by gold (nickel) Super Dupers and usually out fishes me by a wide margin. She does like the black/yellow dot Panther Martins when Brown Trout are present.

2dtrail
05-08-2010, 06:41 AM
I am a fly fisherman, but my wife is a dedicated lure fisher. She swears by gold (nickel) Super Dupers and usually out fishes me by a wide margin. She does like the black/yellow dot Panther Martins when Brown Trout are present.
Your wife sounds like a smart women! I throw the same PM when the browns are in town!

Captain Compassion
05-08-2010, 07:56 AM
1/4 oz gold Kastmaster in lakes to start. Caught more fish on this than anything else. 1/4 oz gold/black/yellow spot PM in streams. Start from here. Specific waters may requite something different. It depends. Small plastics sometimes can work miracles.

CC

B-RAN
05-08-2010, 09:17 AM
Kastmasters for #1 Power worms for #2 and Mini jigs for #3

Jetspray
05-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Kastmasters for #1 Power worms for #2 and Mini jigs for #3

Very good choices I might add:happy::happy:....Jetspray

Yosemite Sam
05-09-2010, 09:00 PM
If you buy ALL the lures they stock at Fisherman's Warehouse but three, one of those three will be the one they are biting on!!

But you can't go wrong on the ones recommended so far, I might add a needlefish and possibly a Dick Night and a Rainbow Runner

YS