PDA

View Full Version : What is a temp reading good for ?

krazybob-1
05-08-2010, 06:22 AM
I've had fish finders before, but not with a temp gauge. Just what is it good for except for telling the temp of the surface water? Maybe there is a scale which will say if the surface temp is this, then the temp should be this, at X amount of depth? :dancingorange:
Krazy~

Polebrother
05-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Not an expert but the temp reading is usually the surface temp...where the transducer is mounted. Such temp readings are often invaluable in determining when certain species are active or inactive relative to their appetite and transiting through certain waters.

ReelJerks
05-09-2010, 04:11 PM
If you are a Bass fisherman you can hardly fish without the temp knowledge. If you're a bottom fisherman you probably don't need it. For me, as a troller for Trout, Kings and Kokes, I am particularly interested in temp changes, so, even if I'm fishing at 50 feet I am still interested in what the temp on the surface is doing.

Edd

CRABBY
05-09-2010, 06:48 PM
If you are a Bass fisherman you can hardly fish without the temp knowledge. If you're a bottom fisherman you probably don't need it. For me, as a troller for Trout, Kings and Kokes, I am particularly interested in temp changes, so, even if I'm fishing at 50 feet I am still interested in what the temp on the surface is doing.

Edd
why? just curious,seems the temp at any given depth would be more important,I do pay attn.to the temp.given in peoples posts for the surface as it appears to have some relevance to what the fish are doing.Thanks Don

krazybob-1
05-10-2010, 05:46 AM
why? just curious,seems the temp at any given depth would be more important,I do pay attn.to the temp.given in peoples posts for the surface as it appears to have some relevance to what the fish are doing.Thanks Don

It is my understanding, that certain fish like to hang around an area with certain temps, like trout. My original thought was, that if one knew the surface temp, then using a math formula, one could figure out what the temp was at X amount of feet down. :undecided: Then it would be just a matter of getting the lure down to that depth..........:odie:

ReelJerks
05-10-2010, 08:18 AM

Don....when I said bottom fishing, I was referring to the bank fisherman, or maybe even jigging from a boat. Generally when 'BOTTOM' fishing you are looking for 'bottom' fish so the temp may not be that important. If your bank fishing you probably can't reach water deep enough to worry about a big temp difference. For everything else the temp IS important and the best tool for that is something like the Fish Hawk. so I suggest people fish the WCFT tourney's to try and win one.

Then again, the lake, reservoir, pond size plays an equal part in water temp.

But you are correct.....water temperature IS very important.

Edd

BASS-O-MATIC
05-19-2010, 09:51 AM
Swim gauge

fairplay
05-19-2010, 07:31 PM
There is a thermocline that forms on most lakes in the summer. The warmer surface water which is lighter traps the colder water below. There is a temperature at which the bait fish have an optimum comfort and oxygen level. The larger fish will migrate to this zone to feed and then return to their own temperature comfort zone. There are books and books on this stuff. Surface temperature is only a small part of the puzzle. I have used a couple different temperature probes that attach to a down rigger and give temperature and speed at the lure presentation depth. Very handy and effective but expensive and prone to failure. “Cannon” makes one and “Acutroll” has one. They seem to fail after a couple of years. Maybe its Pyramid Lake water that eats them up? I’m saving up for a replacement now.