PDA

View Full Version : Trolling for Butts...

FishingTone
04-24-2008, 07:31 AM
How many rods are we allow to use when trolling for halibut in the Bay?
I ran a cross a boat with a guy and his dog on the water 3 weeks ago, and they were trolling with four rods.
My cousin was looking at me :o and I told him maybe the dog allow to use 3 rods since they donít need a license to fish. [smiley=runningdog.gif] [smiley=fishing5.gif] :-/
Any one has any input if this were legal?

rblucky2
04-24-2008, 08:12 AM
one rod each ,no dog rod and be sure your kids can actually reel and handle the rod if you have one out for em.the wardens don't care there are no particulars in the reg hand outs.scotty

FishingTone
04-24-2008, 08:37 AM
One rod per person that what I thought too.

My cousin and I was out at Oyster Pt about 3week ago and when we saw this guy riding with his dog with 1 rod on each side of his boat and 2 more on the back, and we like man :o :o :o.

Thanks for reply Scotty!!

Tone

Fishbutt21
04-25-2008, 09:38 AM
You are right, The limit is one rod per person inside the bay for us sport guys but if you commercial fish for halibut you can run lots of rods. I hope this tempers some of the frustrations

elgallo
04-25-2008, 09:52 AM
Read section 28.65 fo the DFG regs it's all there.

BTW did you know you MUST have an 18" or larger net onboard or you can be cited. The net is to land the questionable lengh fish for measurment to see if it is a keeper.

goingfishing
04-25-2008, 01:10 PM
You can buy an extra stamp on your fishing license that allows you to use two rods....last years it was about 7 dollars

flatliner
04-25-2008, 01:56 PM
I was told that the second poll stamp is now good in ALL bays inside the Golden Gate Bridge. It use to be in lakes only.

metalmouth
04-25-2008, 03:40 PM
The two rod stamp is only valid above the Carquinez Bridge. ;)

FishingTone
04-25-2008, 07:49 PM
You are right, The limit is one rod per person inside the bay for us sport guys but if you commercial fish for halibut you can run lots of rods. I hope this tempers some of the frustrations

Yeah, he was probably commercial fishing!
I was surprise b/c that the first time I see that much rods being use for 1 person in the bay.

I was told that the second poll stamp is now good in ALL bays inside the Golden Gate Bridge.

The new second rod stamp only good on all Lakes and the Delta (inland water only)! Be careful who you listen to.

flatliner
04-26-2008, 11:32 AM
finally got it right. 2 poles from Carchnez up and outside the Golden Gate only if no salmon or cod are on board outside gate.

HookedForLife
04-26-2008, 11:40 PM
one rod each ,no dog rod and be sure your kids can actually reel and handle the rod if you have one out for em.the wardens don't care there are no particulars in the reg hand outs.scotty

Even if it were legal, I have no idea how a dog would handle one rod and certainly not three! The person must have been commercial fishing or was a sport angler who ddn't know the regulations or didn't care.

Hoochie
04-29-2008, 11:16 AM
I was trolling four rods and everyone that went past me was looking at me like they want to talk some smack. What they didnt know was my 3 kids and my wife where in my cuddy relaxing. My 6 year old caught his first halibut 26 inches that day. I wish I had a picture of his face when he was reeeling it in and when it flopped on the deck like a "fish"

Dont judge, because you never know.

Hoochie

sokoo
04-29-2008, 02:04 PM
I was trolling four rods and everyone that went past me was looking at me like they want to talk some smack. What they didnt know was my 3 kids and my wife where in my cuddy relaxing.

Every time I said my Rebel did great catching salmon, I got responses questioning the treble hook issue. What I didn't say, and I felt I did not need to say, was that all my Rebels were modified by replacing the trebles with a single barbless hook and a swivel, just like what's on the Apex.
I do appreciate that most of the responses were friendly reminders though.

FishingTone
04-29-2008, 02:48 PM
[quote author=Hoochie link=1209051075/0#11 date=1209496565]I was trolling four rods and everyone that went past me was looking at me like they want to talk some smack. What they didnt know was my 3 kids and my wife where in my cuddy relaxing. My 6 year old caught his first halibut 26 inches that day. I wish I had a picture of his face when he was reeeling it in and when it flopped on the deck like a "fish"

Hoochie,
I totally agree with you about donít judge at what you see.
Maybe he was probably commercial fishing, but Iím very SURE only him and his dog were on board that day b/c his boat look like an 18í and is an open bow. He was probably about 30 yards or so away from us when we cross each other.

Tone