PDA

View Full Version : deer hunting with a bow

camo_greg
05-09-2010, 07:58 AM
what area do you guys hunt with a bow? i have been hunting a area during deer season and never seem to see many deer in the area? is lindesy lake area a good place to hunt?

Cal.Kellogg
05-10-2010, 06:44 AM
I've done a good deal of bow hunting over the years and by far the best public area I've hunted is the Yolla Bolly Wilderness. On an average morning you'll glass 8 to 12 legal bucks and a couple of them will be in the Pope and Young class. Having said that the hunting is not easy. It is rugged shale country. Hiking is tough and it's hard to stay quiet.

smithstation
05-11-2010, 08:22 AM
I hunt mainly private ground now but a few years ago I got the idea to do a hike and stay a couple nights out in the woods. I started at the Clarks Fork area and hiked/camped to the Highland Lakes area. I was dropped off at Clarks Fork and Picked up 4 days later at Highland Lakes. I passed on several smaller bucks, all under 50 yards. I would hunt in the morning and evening and walk during the day. If I saw a good spot I would wait until evening and see if it was productive. I traveled light with a light sleeping bag and a biviee sack along with a bunch or MRE's. THat was about it. It was fun and I saw on average of 4-8 bucks a day. Most were 18in or less and only 3 was larger than a forks. It was a good trip, next time I would take a fishing pole along. Around the lightning mountain area seemed to hold the most bucks.

Big Bear
05-11-2010, 01:50 PM
I hunt d 5 lots of deer and bear crossbow is my choice .

jasonhew77
05-17-2010, 09:25 PM
I hunt d 5 lots of deer and bear crossbow is my choice .

Crossbow during Archery eh? :surrender:

outdoordude
06-15-2010, 07:08 AM
I aggree with Cal B zone has some of the best blackies in the state. if I don't draw a premium archery tag thats where I go but I get an AO so I have the choice of moving around.