PDA

View Full Version : Losing Trail on HDS

ReelJerks
05-10-2010, 01:07 PM
Just in case anyone is having TRAIL problems....

OK......my ONLY gripe about my HDS-10 is that I lost my trail capability. A few weeks ago I was trolling and had been underway for about 3 hours. Then I look at my GPS side and see I have lost the trail. Checked my settings and it was turned ON, so I turned it OFF and ON, but still no trail behind my cursor. Next step was to DESELECT the trail option, turn the unit OFF and ON, selected the Trail option...but still no trail.

After my last trip without a trail I tried the SOFT reset without success so I was left with one last step prior to calling Navico, so I saved all my routs and waypoints and did the HARD reset. I now have the trails on the DEMO and Simulator modes, so I'm hoping it's fixed.

Edd

1fishaholic
05-10-2010, 06:37 PM
This may be too simple, but on my LCX unit it will only store so many points and stops recording my trail after a long while, usually after sevefal trips. I have to go in and delete all trails(not waypoints). Good luck!

ReelJerks
05-11-2010, 07:41 AM
This may be too simple, but on my LCX unit it will only store so many points and stops recording my trail after a long while, usually after sevefal trips. I have to go in and delete all trails(not waypoints). Good luck!

I was well under the max waypoint level, but, the units are not suppose to work that way. What they should do, according to Lowrance, once you reach max waypoints, is DROP 1 off the end as it adds 1 forward. Maximum waypoints for the HDS is 5000 and I actually had 0. I did have three routes for Shaver.
When I said waypoints and Routes, I really meant I saved all my files to the SD card. There were NO trails to delete because the unit wasn't recording any. Now after I performed the Hard Reset, and loaded my routes back into the unit, it worked fine so I'm hoping it was just one of those things.
Keep the ideas coming tho, it may happen again.

Thanks,
Edd

Ken Sauret
05-11-2010, 11:31 AM
When you go to Waypoints, Routes and Trails then arrow over to Trails and hit enter make sure that there is a new trail active. If the box just says "new trail" then there is no trail to record and be visible on the screen. Arrow down until the new trail box is highlighted and hit enter and trail 001 will appear. Then you will have a trail behind you. This is also where you would edit the trail, like changing the color of the trail, change the name and decided if you want it visible or not.

ReelJerks
05-11-2010, 11:54 AM
Now you went and did it Ken. I know this...but!:duh: In thinking back to just prior to my hard re-set, I didn't look there. One of those, 'that's the way it's suppose to be, so that is the way it is', moments. Dang.....I'll never know for sure. :hitoverhead:

Thanks Ken,

Edd

SuperDave
05-11-2010, 01:51 PM
I just installed a Hot Maps chip about a month ago. I have trails while I'm fishing but when I return to the same lake a week later, the previous trips trails are gone. My unit never did this before and I'm wondering if it is due to the new map chip?

ReelJerks
05-11-2010, 02:11 PM
I just installed a Hot Maps chip about a month ago. I have trails while I'm fishing but when I return to the same lake a week later, the previous trips trails are gone. My unit never did this before and I'm wondering if it is due to the new map chip?

What happens if you take the Hot Maps SD out? Does it function like before the chip? What about 'saving' the trail? It should be there next time then, and if the trail develops into a pattern you can convert to a route.

Edd