PDA

View Full Version : Gonna hit up OP this weekend for butts

Scotthmt
05-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Hey sniffers, im planning on hitting up OP this weekend to try and drift some shiners for butts, sat or sun, the tides dont look that great but im not very good at reading them anyway, Can someone recomend a good time to go out there so i hit a decent tide? The near but catch last weekend has me hooked and i wont come unbuttoned like he did!!!

Polebrother
05-11-2010, 12:01 AM
I've had most of my success around the tide change. The big window for success is two hours before and two hours after high or low tide. The smaller window where most of my strikes occur is one hour before and one hour after the tide change. All that said, you can get bit at any time, any tide--Mr. Hali is often unpredictable. If however I had only four hours to fish, it would be on the incoming two hours before high tide and the outgo two hours after a flood tide. Should mention I troll exclusively and therefore can cover more water than if I were drifting. Hope others will chime in with their personal experiences which very likely will differ from my limited personal data base of info. Good luck! Let us know how you do.

MoMoney
05-11-2010, 05:46 AM
well this weekend there are minus tides in the morning and small tides in the afternoon.So in theory the afternoon outgo would be the best bet.Your looking for 3 1/2 feet or less.But dont let that stop you from fishing.Weve caught fish on everypart of the tide also.I think trolling on a small boat with up to 4 people is the way to go also.It sure doesnt take live bait to catch halibut.It will be windy Im sure in the afternoon so bring some big sinkers if your gonna stay out in the afternoon.Just keep your bait on the bottom,check it for weeds every 15-20 minutes and youll soon be catchin em.If there are 2 or 3 on your boat be sure and vary your bait/presentations for the best chance at success.Good luck and be sure and report!!