PDA

View Full Version : Kayak halibuts

MontanaN8V
04-22-2008, 02:09 PM
K, thinking about trying this, can anyone help?

Yaker
04-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Where abouts you thinking? If you're going to be on the Bay I'd beware of the tidal shifts.

MontanaN8V
04-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Never done it before. I was looking into it, and it seems right up my alley. Cost is minimal, so I like that. Looks very relaxing, and a great way to get out there. Just looking for info and words of encouragement.

Yaker
04-22-2008, 03:29 PM
I've thought about it for sure! My one piece of advice would be to fish for a smaller species first to get used to being in a kayak. Fishing from a kayak is different from just paddling one. Having a 20 lbs barn door flapping around on your lap can throw off your balance. Let me know how it goes!

keelhaulinrob
04-22-2008, 03:40 PM
yea maybe try for trout at a lake or first and get use to it then graduate to the bay, because it sure would be a bummer if you got one and you lost it because you weren't ready.

MontanaN8V
04-22-2008, 03:47 PM
That is exactly my plan. I live in the foothills, so lake fishing for starts. Then to calm water like bolinas lagoon for leopard shark, then out in open water. My dream is to hit a halibut with a kayak though.

FishingTone
04-22-2008, 04:03 PM
I seen a few guy out at Oyster point this year on a Kayak going after halibut in the morning.
Just stay close to shore and you'll be fine. Check the weather for wind before you decide to head out though.

HSUSteelie
04-22-2008, 04:24 PM
Check out these articles:

http://www.swimbait.com/techniques/halibut.htm

http://www.kayakfishingzone.com/howto/flatties.html

I have always wanted to do it, but haven't yet. I done rockfish from a kayak and it's AWESOME!

tt31
04-22-2008, 06:43 PM
Oyster Point, Alameda Rock Wall and Berkley pier are all good spots. I started Kayak fishing down South While I was in College and one of my first fish was a 15 lb Halibut. I really had no idea what I was doing and looking back I was very clumsey. The best advice I can give you is if you can find someone who has done it before tag along. Other wise just take it slow, if you feel like you are going too far out of your element dont go any further. Once you get used to fishing out of a kayak you will love it, I have caught just about every fish you can catch up here (besides a keeper sturgeon) off of my kayak and you would be suprised what you can do. Salmon is my cup of tea and since I just got a new boat and salmon season is closed I wont be in the kayak any tme soon, but there is usually a kayak tournement in Halfmoon Bay in June or July. There are alot of good guys there to pick there brains, and you can fish around people who know what they are doing.

h00kie
04-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Very good posts. Thank you! :)

nogimmies
04-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Definitely sounds sporting to say the least.
Never tried the kayak but have used a canoe.
For halibut for starters I would suggest Tomales Bay when it turns on later this month till Sept.
Camping is also allowed on Tomales point the last I heard.
Launch at Nicks cove/Miller Park and paddle to the only single Island.
This is Hog Island.
Fish anywhere in the main channel off the eel grass.
Drift shiners or jacksmelt caught off the eel grass
Frozen bait works but should be trolled at a slow rolling motion off a 3 way swivel.
Dead bait at tomales gets action from leopard sharks Bat rays and angle sharks-Squid ,Herring ,and anchovies all work on these bottom dwellers.
Word of caution::: Tomales can get rough in a hurry when the wind picks up so judge your timing to get back to the dock well.
Also FOG::: It can be thick there so visibility by other boats vs a Kayak can be dangerous.
Play it safe Maybe carry an air Horn to allert coming vessels.

Another area That I have written about nad have done good at in Tomales is MArconi Cove in the upper end of the bay.
Water here is shallow 3-6 ft but it can be a gas when the butts are in.

I know space is limited on a kayak so you be the judge as to what technique would suffice for your requirements.
I believe a small rod holder would be an advantage also.
iF TROLLING/PADDLING LET THE BUTT TAKE THE BAIT.
Do not set the hook or you may pull it out of there mouths
I like to let them load up then give a small -quick set.
Hope this helps out some good luck and Go whack em
nogimmies

MontanaN8V
04-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Some great stuff, thanks guys. Definately want to start hitting it soon. Anyone with a used kayak, let me know. I am going to take advice, and start on fresh water this year, and work my way up. Also heard that lobster fishing in SoCal is awesome at night in a kayak. Looks like there is a lot of fun to be had.

Sin_Coast
04-24-2008, 01:56 PM
These are both great sites with excellent info:
www.norcalkayakanglers.com
www.plasticnavy.com