PDA

View Full Version : Launch Advice Near Berkley Flats

fishhawk101
04-17-2008, 08:07 PM
I need to get out for some halibut action near Berkley this weekend. I have a smaller boat (16') so I'm planning on getting out early and getting off before any wind arrives.

Any advice on where I should launch? I may be alone and would prefer to avoid crowds (is that possible?).

Thanks guys.

Klamdog
04-17-2008, 08:16 PM
Good luck on avoiding the crowds on the weekends! *Especially with this good early season bite! *I've only used the Berkeley Marina, and only during the week. *I would guess that weekends get very busy, especially early! *Good Luck!

chiselchest
04-17-2008, 09:25 PM
We launched at Richmond last Saturday to avoid the crowds, and was slow at the ramp, no waiting. $10 though, plus pay for washdown.

We caught 10-butts, never any deeper than 8'.

keelhaulinrob
04-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Mitch what were you useing and were you trolling inside richmond harbor or where did you go about?

chiselchest
04-17-2008, 09:49 PM
We were trolling 'chovies, on the Berkekley flats, on the Brooks Island side...there were 4 of us, and we fished for 13 hours. *

When we returned, we evenm took the short cut, inside of Brooks right to the Richmond Marina entrance..1st time we've done that, LOL.

If you take this route, watch the chart for submerged pilings at Pt Petrero Turn...
http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/18653.shtml

Saw that burning boat (really the huge plum of thick black smoke). *43' pleasure craft, 3 jumped in the water but were plucked quickly...

keelhaulinrob
04-17-2008, 10:24 PM
yea i saw that boat from the bridge as i was crossing, glad everyone got picked up safe and quick.

keelhaulinrob
04-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Im going out tommorow im launching out of berkeley i think imma head troll down towards richmond then back up to emeryville and back down to richmond as my route. unless i go over a hot spot thank you.

GCinGV
04-18-2008, 06:07 AM
Anywhere along the flat between Emeryville and Richmond should be productive. To avoid some of the wind and crowds Iíd also launch at Richmond and fish the northern part of the flat. The Emeryville launch doesnít get as crowded as Berkeley either with often no wait but you get some bad shoaling in the shallows going back in when the wind comes up in the afternoon. Can be spooky in a small boat.
GC

ot
04-20-2008, 07:55 AM
The Emeryville launch doesnít get as crowded as Berkeley either with often no wait but you get some bad shoaling in the shallows going back in when the wind comes up in the afternoon. Can be spooky in a small boat.
GC

GCingGV,
Can you explain what "shoaling in the shallows" means?

Thanks.

OT

fishhawk101
04-20-2008, 06:32 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I don't mind limiting my fishing due to boat size if need be.

GCinGV
04-20-2008, 06:47 PM
When big waves hit the shallows or a shoal they have nowhere to go but up and break. The area around Half Moon Bay is a good example and why itís popular for surfing.
At Emeryville when itís bad itís like running over a giant washboard and if youíre not careful you can take water over the stern. Have seen several boats that didnít have splash wells bailing on the way in. You get the same thing going back in to Berkeley but itís not nearly as bad as Emeryville.
GC

ot
04-20-2008, 11:40 PM
Thanks GC,

I've only launched from berkley a couple of times and on the way in I look back and the following waves are pretty big. If emeryville is worse than berkley, I'd better stick to berkley.

OT

fishhawk101
04-21-2008, 06:44 PM
The website for the Richmond launch (Marina Bay Yacht Harbor) says it's open Monday-Sunday: 9:00am to 5:00pm. I assume the launch is open earlier and on Sundays...can someone confirm this?

http://www.marinabayyachtharbor.com/google_map.htm

Big_Easy
04-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Yep! Richmond opens earlier than 6:00am!