PDA

View Full Version : I caught a 54in Leopard Shark, how shall I cook it now? Never ate before.

Malila
05-15-2010, 07:38 AM
I gutted it about 5 min after I caught it, and skinned and cut them into about 1 1/4 in steaks. I put them in a freezer back and stored them in the fridge until I can figure out how to prepare them. Also I have a few other steaks and squirted some lemon juice on it, since i say that helps get rid of taste. It smelled like urea after I caught it, kinda wierd..but I hear these sharks can be pretty tasty after they are cooked. Anyone have any suggestions, recipes? Thanks!

MoMoney
05-15-2010, 07:54 PM
Make sure you cut off the red meat under the skin.Dont cook it with skin on.Some of them are kinda smelly but I soak em in milk over night when I can.They are great battered up and fried or on foil on the BBQ with butter and lemon.Taste as good as any white meat fish out there!!

Malila
05-22-2010, 03:58 AM
Thanks MoMoney that was great advice. The shark turned out good, didn't have too much of a smell after I cooked it but still I would say that not my cup of tea hahahaha...soo next time I catch a sharky I'll probabbly just throw it back or give it to somebodys =)

Paul_707
05-24-2010, 09:33 AM
Ive heard that the most important thing is to bleed it right after its caught, by cutting the tail off and letting the blood drain out.. Ive never kept a shark, but would like to hear some more feedback from people who do... I guess its all in the preperation..

MoMoney
05-25-2010, 06:20 PM
We just stick the knife in the gills to bleed em out.fillet them taking off skin and any red meat you find.You can soak in milk or cream overnight in the fridge.Rinse and pat dry.Then cook or freeze.We have a vacuum packer so when I get home from fishing my wife seperates fish into meal size portions and then packs and freezes it.I eat most fish from the BBQ but shark is good breaded and fried also.

Malila
06-15-2010, 08:03 PM
We just stick the knife in the gills to bleed em out.fillet them taking off skin and any red meat you find.You can soak in milk or cream overnight in the fridge.Rinse and pat dry.Then cook or freeze.We have a vacuum packer so when I get home from fishing my wife seperates fish into meal size portions and then packs and freezes it.I eat most fish from the BBQ but shark is good breaded and fried also.

I think I need to try someone elses shark, because im not sure if even trust how i cooked it lol..i still have a ziplock bag full of shark steaks, i wonder how longit would last in the freezer? I did soak it in milk and everything, not much of smell, but tasted a little sour to me.B een in there about a month now. Yikes!

GNappers
06-21-2010, 05:22 PM
I have caught some leopard shark out at Pt. Reyes and nearly every time I am going to keep 1 I bleed it immediately and sometimes gut them right away. Leopard shark have ammonia and as a defense they piss themselves. When I get home I skin them and cut off any red meat then fillet or steak. Then I soak them in milk with sugar, overnight, but the guy at the local bait shop said to soak them in vinegar, not sure how long though. The only time I tried this I used apple-cider vinegar overnight and the steaks seemed cooked like lemon juice would cook a fish for ceviche. I usually just use barb-less hooks and release them since it is so much work to prepare them. Always have that ammonia smell, maybe since the one's I catch are usually males. That reminds me, haven't done any shark fishing in a while, might have to go out this week.

tanyahh1
06-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Hello All,

I'm wondering, do you guys all remove the skin from the shark as well? I haven't cooked the leopard sharks yet myself, but have cooked other sharks and I usually make sure the skin is peeled away and get rid of the dark meat parts. The flesh usually taste and smell fine.

I've made rice porridge with the shark flesh that's been marinated in fish sauce, black pepper, and chopped green onion. Real yummy.

drinkinbuddy
08-30-2010, 10:22 PM
The best tacos you are going to have are leopard shark in my opinion. Straight to the grill after they have rested in the fridge for a day or two.I don't recommend any acids such as lemon/lime juice or vinegar. That will cook the meat and or possibly break it down too much. The milk method is safe. I like a little Adobo powder and Cumin on the meat and all the fixins for the taco part. Wood smoke is a plus too.....Don