PDA

View Full Version : Estimating depth of lure with different weights at different trolling speeds

panther
05-15-2010, 05:05 PM
Dear Fellow Anglers,

If I am trolling with a 1/2 ounce weight and know my trolling speed and how much line I have out...is there a way to calculate the depth of my lure/fly?

Panther

OYD
05-17-2010, 06:17 AM
The depth will depend upon the weight, line length, trolling speed line weight and lure. Check out the book "Precision Trolling". Their data is based upon actual observations of depth by one or more of the authors. It has tables which will allow you to plug in your information and give you a good approximation of the lure depth for many lures.

iggybabble
05-18-2010, 08:32 AM
along with weight of line/lure.....different lures have different water resistance, not all 1/2oz lures or sinkers will give you the same depth........the book suggested is a good bet for answers.

Jetspray
05-18-2010, 09:05 AM
The depth will depend upon the weight, line length, trolling speed line weight and lure. Check out the book "Precision Trolling". Their data is based upon actual observations of depth by one or more of the authors. It has tables which will allow you to plug in your information and give you a good approximation of the lure depth for many lures.

+1 that is a good book to follow, depth and speed are most important as well as line type and thickness. This is the main reason we use downriggers. Deep 6's, Pink Ladys and other types of divers help but they don't measure up for many applications. Good Luck out there......Jetspray

Jetspray
05-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Here is the update version.....Jetspray

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat601673_TGP&id=0066606321188a&navCount=1&podId=0066606&parentId=cat601673&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XK&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&hasJS=true

panther
05-18-2010, 04:54 PM
LoneAngler, Iggybabble, and Jetspray,

Many thanks for the recommendation on that book. I am going to order it. Two days I'm headed for the Eastern Sierra. I am going to mostly hike in and fish backcountry lakes, but I think I'll also fish Twin Lakes. I have a car-top 9 foot boat with a 5 HP motor, so my setup is too simple to permit the use of a downrigger. But I'm a good veteran fisherman (just a novice at trolling). I've got a little Humminbird "clamp on the gunwale" sonar depth finder. I'll locate the fish, and use a 1 ounce Down East rudder followed by a leader and small dodger with a nightcrawler (or maybe a lure). Am looking forward to experimenting.

The book won't arrive before I leave, but I'll learn from it for future trips.

Panther

P.S. LoneAngler...I guess that your name means that you often fish alone. I often do too. When I fish with a companion, it is often one of my grandkids.