1 yellow onion finely chopped
1cup rough chopped cilantro leaves
1/2 cup clam juice
2 seranno chiles stemmed and thin sliced into circles
1 1/2 tsp salt
one firm avocado chopped into cubes
1/2 cup sliced cucumber

rinse fish and shrimp in cold water and pat dry
cut striper into 1/2 inch cubes combine with shrimp and toss with 1/2 cup of lime juice in glass or ceramic container. cover and refrigerate for 15 min. drain and discard lime juice.

transfer fish and shrimp to meduim bowl(glass or ceramic). stir in remaining lime juice(or to taste) tomato,cilantro,clam juice,chiles,avocado,cucumber and salt. chill at least an hour (if you can wait that long)or up to one day for flavors to blend .

you can adjust the salt and other quantities to taste after you make a batch,i also add tapatio sauce to make it a little hotter. i have had fish haters who would cringe at at the thought of raw fish go crazy for this many times. i usally serve with tostada shells or tortilla chips.

for those who have never had seviche,the fish is cooked or "cured" by marinating in lime juice.

i also do this recipe with just striper when i don't have shrimp.

nayr
05-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Ceviche is awesome stuff
Its always better when its homemade, If any of you have not tried this stuff yet I suggest you follow the recipe and whip up a batch.
I made some out of halibut last year.. soo0o good

roaddog
05-26-2010, 05:34 PM
does the lime kill all the bacteria and parasites? i caught some stirper today and wana try it out.

nayr
05-27-2010, 01:55 PM
yup. I use more lime juice than knuckle suggests to help ease the doubt, but once the fish has turned white be sure to drain some of the excess lime(again.. to taste) .
don't forget the tostadas!
:beer:

BeefCakeScout
06-14-2010, 12:29 PM
does the lime kill all the bacteria and parasites? i caught some stirper today and wana try it out.
It will kill all the bacteria....some parasites might live, but thats really an issue for fish that predominantly scanvenge. Ceviche is awesome. I have never used striper though. I know that trout,steel and salmon make GREAT ceviche!

roaddog
06-23-2010, 07:55 AM
It will kill all the bacteria....some parasites might live, but thats really an issue for fish that predominantly scanvenge. Ceviche is awesome. I have never used striper though. I know that trout,steel and salmon make GREAT ceviche!

i just saw "monsters inside me" on animal planet 70% of all rockfish have this parasite that looks so effin nasty in their adult stages. almost like half a milipede lol. apparently the larva get inside the fish from living in the vicinity of filthy seals and just waits until the fish is consumed by a mammal. after that it anchors up somewhere in yur gut and causes horrible pain and takes about 2 weeks for your body to fight off. during that 2 weeks you cant eat or drink and need to survive off IV in a hospital bed. as far as the species of fish they said it goes for most marine going fish. they tested 4 methods of preparation. lime juice, freezing, cooking fully, and searing ahi style. the ONLY method that killed the nasty critters was freezing and thouroughly cooking. so if you plan on making this dish freeze the meat for a day or two. sorry not trying to burst anyones bubble lol

knucklemeat
07-08-2010, 06:46 PM
just use freshwater stripers and previously frozen shrimp, no worries there. or you can use cooked fish as well,just dont pre-marinade with lime juice and it's just as good.

Sturgeon_Wacker
07-19-2010, 02:24 PM
i saw an article about strippers of the coast of ca. and it said that they can have some sort of worm that WILL NOT DIE in lemon or lime juice. it will die if cooked or if frozen. so what i did for mine is froze it over night then made ceviche then next day just to be safe.

o-ya these worms cant live in the stomach so they eat their way out and can possibly kill you, thats what happen to the lady i was reading about. just food for thought.

REEL FISH
07-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Thats all a myth !!!!! :goodscout1jp: So your telling me that all cuts of sashimi needs to be cooked or frozen first ? The japanese doesnt seem to think that of their precious bluefin tuna !!! People eat it coming in on long range boats all the time with a little soy sauce, wasabi, and ginger. Go tell that one to your favorite sushi chef. :duh:

roaddog
07-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Thats all a myth !!!!! :goodscout1jp: So your telling me that all cuts of sashimi needs to be cooked or frozen first ? The japanese doesnt seem to think that of their precious bluefin tuna !!! People eat it coming in on long range boats all the time with a little soy sauce, wasabi, and ginger. Go tell that one to your favorite sushi chef. :duh:

USDA standards require sushi to be flash frozen. Not familiar with japans codes but when you buy sushi grade from whole foods it has been flash frozen. my friend eats his halibut raw all the time and he seems fine. its your call if you wanna roll the dice.

1_Rambo
01-25-2011, 09:28 PM

Please remember if they're caught of the salty ocean, yes you can eat them raw but once in brackish water they become host to those parasites which can harm and kill humans. So just remember stick with what your use to. Otherwise it'll be serve at the sushi bar all over Ca.