PDA

View Full Version : good gps??

Paul_707
05-16-2010, 08:46 PM
What is a good affordable gps unit for trolling??

ReelJerks
05-17-2010, 07:09 AM
What is a good affordable gps unit for trolling??
You may get better results to your question if you post it again in the Marine Electronics forum.

Have you already a sonar? Or do you need a combo unit?

Edd

Paul_707
05-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Yep, Our boats already got sonar.. I know very little about the gps units.. SO you cant use a handheld one for tracking your trolling patterns?? Like this one:
http://www.thegpsstore.com/Assets/images/largeimages/garmin-gpsmap-76csx-microSD-r.jpg

ReelJerks
05-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Yes you can use a handheld for your trails but I'm not sure how much bottom info you'll get, or if you're even interested in that information. Lots of people use good a handheld because they can also use them in there truck, etc..

Edd

Paul_707
05-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks Edd, yeah i was interested in the handheld because id like to use it in diffferent boats and vehicles... Im thinking a handheld will be a good one to start with... I guess the difference is it doesnt show the lake in as much detail... so are the handhelds really effective for putting you on your exact locations??? as long it can put me on the spot im trying to go over id be happy..like this piece of cheese--> :bananacheese:
and this tomato:dancingorange:

ReelJerks
05-17-2010, 10:56 AM
.....so are the handhelds really effective for putting you on your exact locations??? as long it can put me on the spot im trying to go over id be happy..like this piece of cheese--> :bananacheese:
and this tomato:dancingorange:

Each GPS will give you it's accuracy in it's 'Specifications'. Tiger GPS, or The GPS Store will show you several units.

Edd

Sturgeon_Wacker
05-18-2010, 10:08 AM
i have that garmin unit in your pic and i love it for a handheld unit. you have to get the map pack for the delta....if you do it shows all the wrecks, shallows, some structure. it does tides, plotter, way points. i am still getting use to it and all the things it will do.

Polebrother
05-19-2010, 07:18 AM
If you have an iPhone or similar 3G device, you might want to consider buying an app called "Marine Navionics, U.S. West" for only $9.99. I've used mine for mostly tides but it does waypoints, GPS coordinates, etc. Not sure about tracking. Have a look at it here: http://www.navionics.com/MobileMarineFeatures.asp

gizmo
08-01-2010, 06:47 PM
I too am looking at getting a hand held GPS unit. I have found that while fishing, I want my whole screen sonar, and if its split, its to zoom. Anyway, also when I fish with others I wish I hand my gps with me.

I'm surprised that there is very little info on here regarding hand held gps. I want one that will mark waypoints and will show good topographics of the lakes elevations and will give accurate GPS speed. and I want all the lakes in northern Calif, not just a few.

Anyone out there found a really good hand held GPS????

Garmin's Oregon? or the GPSMAP 78 series?

Any help please, thanks
Gizmo

xeddog
09-27-2010, 08:17 AM
I know that I am almost two months late with this, but the only handheld gps unit I have found that can be used for driving/hiking/boating is the Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550. They come with street maps, but you can buy the lakes chip and then load that into the unit and get your lake contours, etc. At least that is the way it looks. I have not actually seen one. I passed on them because they were too small for what I wanted.

Wayne