PDA

View Full Version : is jackson meadows road gate open?

tonyscog
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
just like the heading does anyone up in truckee know if the gate to jackson meadows is open yet? looking to get up there.. thanks for the help

foilesfan
05-17-2010, 03:44 PM
when you find out let me know i will go with you

JTroutMan
05-17-2010, 07:04 PM
In normal years it usually opens around the end of May; however, we have had late storms and not much hot weather, so I'm guessing could be a few weeks late. Either way you can call Sierraville Ranger Station or Mountain Hardware in Truckee.....Both Prosser and Stampede should be decent right now though....

tonyscog
05-18-2010, 07:33 AM
come on i know there is some of you guys on this forum that live up there in truckee, go for a quick trip to see if that gate is open... the fact that prosser is open, i may go up to try and go to jackson meadows and just use that as a fall back plan... if you live up there take a drive for us and let us know... you can catch limits all day from the dam

hellbent
05-18-2010, 08:07 AM
way too much snow right now!

JTroutMan
05-18-2010, 10:47 AM
come on i know there is some of you guys on this forum that live up there in truckee, go for a quick trip to see if that gate is open... the fact that prosser is open, i may go up to try and go to jackson meadows and just use that as a fall back plan... if you live up there take a drive for us and let us know... you can catch limits all day from the dam

There's a huge difference in logistics though between those two lakes. Prosser is a short stroll off 89 (which is clear) and lower elevation. For Jackson Meadow, the road in (about 15 miles) doesn't really have a 'common' destination for traffic and approaches about 7000 feet near one pass...thus, more snow and less motivation (other then us fishers!) for them to plow...I remember one year getting almost stuck going, but then turning around and knocking'm dead a Prosser so it worked out.
The one El Nino year I recall in 90's (94 or 95 I think) it wasn't plowed till late June...

GOLDENTROUT
05-18-2010, 05:00 PM
Ok, Ok I'll spill the beans. Before I took the quick out of my way, 124mile round trip from Reno. Or 74mile round trip from Truckee last Firday. I called the USFS and they said; 3-4 feet of snow on the road! It'll be mid - late June boy's and girls!