PDA

View Full Version : Studies link Sacramento sewage to Delta fish decline

hotdog
05-18-2010, 06:35 AM
http://www.sacbee.com/2010/05/18/2757888/studies-link-sacramento-sewage.html

It's about time that this got reported on. So now we get to play the blame game between those who want to suck the fish out of the delta and those who want to dump their crap on them.
Here's a novel idea, how about we fix both problems?:duh:

iron-man
05-18-2010, 08:04 AM
I also found this artical very interesting. There was a report a couple of years ago that stated that 200 salmon fry were tagged and released down the Sac River and that only 4 made their way to the ocean. Thats 2%. Not a very good percentage if you expect to have natural spawning (or hatchery releases) help the salmon populations to get back to "normal" numbers. About this same time there was concern abt the Delta Smelt only being found next to the water sucking pumps in ther South Delta. Pumping was then being blamed as the sole culprit. Then I accidentally started reading about the high levels of ammonia found in the Sac River (by Sacramento and Rio Vista) and in the San Joaquin River just downstream from Stocton. You don't read about these spills (high numbers) very often and for very long. Since the Delta Smelt are an indicator species they are just telegraphing to the public what is wrong with the delta. No one wanted to see "this reason" as a answer to the Delta problem because that was not the solution (answer) that they were looking for. So, they blamed striped bass predation and or pumping. Both of which might contribute to the problem and probably do. BUT, those two situations have been present for a long time. The stripers, since the late 1800s and pumping, since the mid 1960s. So what one thing has changed. Looks like we finally have a winner here folks. Too many people with too much excrement and not taking care of it properly. Now we have a problem with basically no solution. To further add to this problem is the water soluble pharmacueticals (like hormones from birth control pills and unused antibiotics), which have been in the news of late. Malformed frogs and other aquatic life have been found in larger and larger numbers where supposedly treated municipal effluent is dumped into local rivers.

For an example of problems that we face. Northern Calif water is pumped 1700 ft up and over the Grapevine to the LA area. Sewage is pumped back over the Grapevine into the Southern Kern County. A good trade?? I have also read about sewage spills along the oceans on both coasts. In fact I read where the corals in Hawaii are so contaminated with fecal bacteria that you don't want to get scratched on the rocks because of possible infections.

I don't know what the answers are but I can tell you that they aren't going to be easy ones. IM

Mr. Striper
05-18-2010, 11:55 AM
Guess I'd better start digging holes in the backyard and cut out the bottem of a bucket:wallbash:.

hotdog
05-18-2010, 08:18 PM
When this was being discussed on A&G this morning, they were saying that the phosphates in laundry detergent helped offset the ammonia build up and then we started removing it in the 60's (I think). If phosaphates help the food chain (without causing other disasters) maybe dumping some in the delta could be a stop-gap effort to help the food chain while they're fixing the waste water? I believe there are plants that also remove ammonia, like mangroves, but I don't know if they'd grow here.

hotdog
05-30-2010, 06:56 AM
http://www.sacbee.com/2010/05/21/2768753/scientist-forced-to-resign-from.html

Patricia Glibert from the University of Maryland got canned.
The war of words is on between the water suckers and water polluters. Whoever writes the biggest check will control the outcome of this one.

Fishbucket
05-30-2010, 07:18 AM
Whoever writes the biggest check will control the outcome of this one.

Thats the whole problem ...

lineside
05-30-2010, 05:32 PM
I don`t know all the in and outs of the delta problems,but with all the crap in the water why do they want to put it on crops.

iron-man
05-31-2010, 09:45 AM
Lineside, Thats the one good thing abt soil microbes, givin time they will adapt and be able to break down most any thing. Kind of like your body responding to a foreign object (ie cold virus, flu, splinter, etc). It just naturally attacks them (given time). As a side note regarding this past years swine flu. Most people over 55 or so had already been exposed to a similiar virus years ago and that age group, if healty, did not have any problem with this past years flu model.

After the microbes work a compound down, the roots of a plant then take in the nutients it needs. Some compounds like NaCl (table salt) is ok for the human body in small amts in fact we crave it. But each of those elements by itself is very harmful if not deadly (Chlorine, or Chl gas). I believe Sodium (Na) is a metal (from the alkali metal group). There are some municipalities that put their sewage effulent (that the city of Sacramento and Stockton dump in the rivers) on grazing land for cattle for this reason. The pharmaceuticals, as I mentioned earlier, are digested by the soil microbes and broken down to their base ingredients and ther by rendered harmless .

Hope this explaination helps. I am certainly not a chemist but have taken a few chemistry and other related courses in my youth. IM

BeefCakeScout
05-31-2010, 10:32 AM
Here's a novel idea, how about we fix both problems?:duh:
Please do not bring logic into this forum...

OceanSunfish
05-31-2010, 11:20 AM
http://www.sacbee.com/2010/05/21/2768753/scientist-forced-to-resign-from.html

Patricia Glibert from the University of Maryland got canned.
The war of words is on between the water suckers and water polluters. Whoever writes the biggest check will control the outcome of this one.

She was also paid $50K to write that report by an 'interest' that likes water to flow southward, unimpeded. In essence, her actions discredited the team which may have been the objective all along.....

Just follow the money trail...

ReelJerks
06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
Please do not bring logic into this forum...
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: