PDA

View Full Version : Vaqueros anyone?

trebleface
05-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Anyone hit Los Vaqueros lately? Theres a derby goin on for the whole month, planting 1200 every wk. I like this place because theres huge stripers, browns, rainbows, cats, carp- nice clean water! Little to no snags like planting xmas trees and the fish always seem to be close to shore- excellent for lures. Thing that turned me off was they they get bow plants from Calaveras and dfg blech! Calaveras trout turn a weird color (purple dark grayish) quickly after you catch em and the meat is white not pink/orange blech2x!
Let me know!

FoldCat81
05-19-2010, 11:30 AM
I have to agree with you about Los V, I was there last week and the trout were boiling about 10-15 feet from shore. Me and another guy caught a few with lures while they were boiling. I would love to hook up with a striper!

Fish On.

tbruski
05-19-2010, 07:13 PM
They planted May 7th. They have no more plants scheduled. You can check out the latest report on norcalfishing.com. You can get the Calaveras fish in the 2 coves closest to the marina. If you want the nice holdovers you will need to get down near the dam. The stripers are out there, they are few and far between. A buddy of mine caught a nice 25 lbr last Tuesday.
Bruski

FoldCat81
05-20-2010, 06:57 PM
You guys talked me into going out there today :winkfs:.

Got there at about 10am only 1 guy out there next to the rockwall, he said he did not get any bites.

I started near the trees on the left of the rockwall about 1/4 mile to cowboy cove. And ended up the day at 3:30 at the rockwall. Only one fish at about 2:45 at the rockwall, largemouth 3-4#'s on my crawler. Windy like always but no fish or fisherman.

Tell next time, Fish On!